Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Post Ride Intestinal Cramps

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-05, 08:39 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

A day or more after a hard ride I've had episodes of intestinal cramps and constipation, something unusal for me. This quickly resolves without treatment. I've written it off as dehydration but it's still happening even with increased fluid intake. I'm now suspecting age, exertion and/or compaction due to my posture when cycling. Anyone else experience this?
Old 07-22-05, 08:54 AM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
I'm now suspecting age
As there are hundreds of us the same age or older than you without this problem, it would not be fair or correct to blame it on age. Ditto with riding posture alone.

I would more likely suspect some sort of electrolyte imbalance, or dehydration.

I have never had this problem.
Old 07-22-05, 01:24 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Bikes: Varies by day

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Discuss it with your doctor next visit. He may be able to help.
Old 07-22-05, 06:30 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh, man, I read about this a year or so ago, but can't remember what they suggested as a cause.
Are you guzzling Gatorade, or just water? Sports drinks cause me to cramp sometimes--I usually start with water, and switch to 'Ades only after a couple of hours, and then at 50 percent dilution. On long rides, which for me these days is four hours or more, even water starts to slosh around and make me uncomfortable. It sometimes helps to eat a little along with the water, like oranges or a cookie at a rest stop.
Post-ride (post LONG ride, not after every time I get on the bike), I've found that I feel better the next day if I don't slam water in the evening. Unless I make a point of remembering, I sometimes fall behind on my fluids in the last part of a ride, then get so thirsty I pound too much liquid the rest of the day. That's guaranteed to make me feel crappy the next day.
Someone's already suggested asking your doctor, and if you can find a doc with a sports background, that's even better. My company changed insurers, and I was miffed about having to find a new physician, but my new cardiologist is a double-century rider and my new GP is a former college basketball player who runs marathons. They're both about my age, and they never say, "At your age, you need to take it easy" or just tell me I have to accept something because I'm not a kid anymore. They understand the desire to stay active.
Old 07-22-05, 07:57 PM
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
Possibly your sport drink or energy bar. Try switching brands, try switching flavors and see if it goes away.
Old 08-02-05, 09:14 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I haven't had another cramping/constipation espisode since my original post and don't know what was responsible - likely something I ate although on club rides I now eat an apple or banana at our mid point stop. With this summer's continuing 90+ degree heat, I make sure I slosh down liquids during the rides but don't pay much attention as to what. I fill up 2 bottles with spring water at home or grab 2 Gatoraides at a corner store on the way to the meeting place. I don't vary the flavour since the blue "berry" tasting stuff seems least objectionable. As hard as I've been cycling in this heat and humidity (a sustained heart rate of 145-155 bpm for 1 to 2 hours with spikes of 165-172 on grades), I have to admit I feel pretty crappy for a few hours after many of the club rides - lethargic and sometimes with burning thigh muscles. The last few rides I don't stick around for the after-ride chit chat - and I haven't been the only one - I towel myself off, crank my trucks A/C and get back to the oasis of home ASAP! It's not that I don't like my riding companions (I sometimes find myself being a "chatterbox" in fact!) - I just can't help trying to keep up with the "A Speed Group" on the ride and feel pretty wiped out by the end of 40-60 kms....
Old 08-02-05, 02:23 PM
Get A Life - Get A Bike

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Bianchi San Jose, '87 Schwinn Super Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TrailRider
A day or more after a hard ride I've had episodes of intestinal cramps and constipation, something unusal for me. This quickly resolves without treatment. I've written it off as dehydration but it's still happening even with increased fluid intake. I'm now suspecting age, exertion and/or compaction due to my posture when cycling. Anyone else experience this?
Maybe it's from the bugs you've inhaled? Just kidding... around here, especially in the evening some nights, a person has to practically hold their breath and close their eyes when passing through some of the clouds of bugs.

I've had some of the same symptoms when riding too soon after eating. I like to wait at least a half to three quarters of an hour prior to riding. Also, too much heat can cause nausea and cramping.

Steve
Old 08-03-05, 12:51 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cheeseflavor
Maybe it's from the bugs you've inhaled? Just kidding... around here, especially in the evening some nights, a person has to practically hold their breath and close their eyes when passing through some of the clouds of bugs.Steve
I've never seen a summer like this one! I assume the same over much of the east coast, maybe across the continent.

Bugs I know! They torment my horses so bad I can't turn them out to pasture till nightfall - I can't even ride them in the cool of the evening this year - there's been no cool! So there's a little macabre satisfaction when I feel the bastards ricocheting off my sun glasses or pinging off my helmut. That doesn't make them taste any better - no cheese flavor that's for sure . Like you no doubt I try to keep my face down speed up if I see a cloud of them ahead.