Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Yesterday's Epiphanies (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/124479-yesterdays-epiphanies.html)

jppe 07-24-05 11:48 AM

Yesterday's Epiphanies

When you're on the bike for 6-7 hours you have a lot of time to think!!

Since it's still rather warm in the Piedmont Carolinas I went up to the Mountains and did a 86 mile loop that had LOTs of climbing. Here are some of my revelations:

1. I'm just thankful I have the health to be able to ride. I seem to enjoy riding more and more each day.

2. I appreciate that I'm able to jump in the car and get to the NC mountains in 1 1/2 -2 hrs and can enjoy some terrific rides. Yesterday I rode in the areas around Boone that Lance trained in during his recovery period.

3. A well tuned bike brings a lot of pleasure! I had been having trouble with my front derailleur and after messing with it for several weeks I had it adjusted by the pros. Now the shifting is flawless and "snaps" into the proper chain ring with a slight move of the shifter. No more chain rub!!

4. I've only been riding about 4 years and I guess one of my motives was to get faster and better at climbing each subsequent year. This year has been a challenge to best last year's times, finishes, etc. My mindset seems to be becoming more of just enjoy being on the bike. When I have that mindset, I'm not as hard on myself and enjoy the time out there even more.

That's it!! And you were expecting something really more enlightening for being on a bike for 6-7 hours???? Most of the other stuff involved thoughts while suffering up come climbs, which most are NOT printable!!

What's your recent revelations?

KeithA 07-24-05 12:11 PM

Well, an epiphany of sorts:

Most mornings, I take a ride, usually alone, but sometimes with my wife. The purpose is to get some exercise and train a bit on my bike. This morning, I, as usual, told my wife that I'd go on up ahead and do some small hills and catch up to her. We both know the routine. Afterwards, we usually go at her pace. Today, though, we went a lot slower the last couple of miles. We ride along a creek and we stopped a few times to enjoy the blue herons and egrets. It just was a lot more relaxing not pushing it at all. I think take the last couple of miles the same way in the future. When I got home, I wasn't tuckered out at all, feeling both energetic and relaxed. So, I guess it's good to stop and smell the roses some. You still have had your exercise, but you might feel even better by doing so.

Best of all, I think it was good, almost even romantic, to enjoy the moments with my wife, alone, without our kids around.

glassman 07-24-05 12:14 PM

You are riding in some beautiful country. I am reading Lance's book where he talked about riding in Boone. My wife's grandparents live in Mountain City, Tenn which is not far from Boon, NC. It's about 1,000 miles from where I live in Louisian but I think I may have to make a special trip to visit them again and ride my bike there. Do you have any pictures of your ride?

stapfam 07-24-05 03:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The reason I started riding was to keep the fitness I still had when I found out that my 10 year old daughter could beat me in a 100yard dash. Over the years, I have progressed in standard of bike and fitness, so I no longer have to retain that fitness. I now ride because I enjoy it, and I enjoy the well being that comes from being fit. Can't remember the last time I had a cold, or a bout of Flu Bought me down.
To me now, riding is for pleasure. Some people enjoy going out to the Pub, or having a meal with friends. I still enjoy that, But don't do it as often as I used to. My enjoyment comes from taking to the hills on the bike, and taking in the peace and quiet that comes from being in the open air. The few people you meet are of a like mind, and when you see the isolation and peacefulness that can be gained just a few miles from home and one of the most populated areas of England, it makes you wonder why more people do not take to the hills for a few hours of cardio vascular exercise that means when my Grandson/ daughter arrives and grows up a bit, I will at least have a fighting chance with mum pushing the pram while I am on the Zimmer frame

jppe 07-24-05 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by glassman
You are riding in some beautiful country. I am reading Lance's book where he talked about riding in Boone. My wife's grandparents live in Mountain City, Tenn which is not far from Boon, NC. It's about 1,000 miles from where I live in Louisian but I think I may have to make a special trip to visit them again and ride my bike there. Do you have any pictures of your ride?

Probably another revelation! Buy a compact digital camera for rides!! I do not have pictures, however, other than the warm temps it was a picture perfect day. On days like yesterday you definitely know why they call it the Blue Ridge Mountains.

Wildwood 07-25-05 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by jppe
1. I'm just thankful I have the health to be able to ride. I seem to enjoy riding more and more each day.
4. ........ My mindset seems to be becoming more of just enjoy being on the bike. When I have that mindset, I'm not as hard on myself and enjoy the time out there even more.

I ditched the HRM & cycle computer years ago. I put in as many hours as before and enjoy it more. Having good rides is important and we have many low traffic, hilly roads here in Missouri. I'd love to ride the Blue Ridge Mts.

Revelations - Put more effort into that early retirement planning.