Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    My Bikes
    Trek 520 and Trek Madone 5.2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Challenge - Ride Your Age on your Birthday

This has probably been a thread many times before, but I wanted to go on record that on my next birthday - about 6 weeks from now - I plan to ride 65 miles! Now, that might not be a challenge for many of you, but since I've only been riding for about 4 months - and 4+ months ago, could hardly stand up and walk (because of the adverse effects of Lipitor) and weighing 260 pounds. It will be a REAL Challenge for me. I currently am riding around 100 miles a week with the longest ride so far being 25 miles and have lost almost 38 pounds. Figure if I take my time, I can get the 65 miles before totally wearing out. Besides, it will give me a good excuse to have Italian food for dinner!!! Oh - and birthday cake!

So, I challenge some of you other riders to 'Ride Your Age' and post your successes here!

Trek Madone 5.2 wsd

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Preparation for this ride will mean a little bit of Carbo loading for a week before the ride, so why limit the Italian to just one meal?
    Attempting a ride like this after only 4 months is brave, and I mean brave. Don't mean that I do not think you can do it, but it is a big step to undertake a ride like this. Your fitness will be there, but your backside and Brain may not be. Remember when it starts to hurt, there are many 20 year olds that cannot do a ride like this and you will get through. Pity You will not be doing it on an organised ride, or will you? as then you can show the youngsters that you do not have to be young to do a ride like this.
    All it takes is determination, attitude, good fitness and a poker face that does not show the pain you will feel at some part of the ride. You imagine the faces your comrades will pull when you tell them about the ride. Still 6 weeks- time to lay a few bets to get a few beers in after the ride.

Only warning is that long distance riding is addictive. It also hurts the wallet as you then want abetter bike to do the LONGER rides on, and then theres the clothing, Oh and then theres the special food, Like Italian, Indian and Chinese, to give you the energy to do the next ride

Berry Pie..the Holy Grail GrannyGear's Avatar
    Weaving thru the cowpud outside Modesto CA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Keep us posted on your progress in the coming weeks...the night before I'm sure the regular posters will give you some go-get-em-tiger encouragement. To have come so far in a few months......you've earned your LiveStrong bracelet. Way to go lookinUp.
    David.

**Stepfam is very right.....long distance miles go by faster and with more smiles and distraction when a riding partner admits his/her butt hurts too. Age has slowed my average speed, but hasn't affected my distance riding other than to want a little longer recovery time and to make me more determined. Tell you what....when you let us know what day you're riding, if its a weekend, I'll ride a 65 (my age plus the age of my cat!) mile loop, too And believe me, I'll be icing my knees afterwards just like you. 8-) Happy preparations!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What a great idea!!!

I don't really care about having a birthday cake or party on my birthday anymore. Doing this every year would make my birthday memorable and something I'd look forward to. Also, it would make the birthday dinner at a nice restaurant guilt free.

I'm a gonna do it!!!

Send email to dnvrfox@aol.com for new group
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like your idea, but then I will only be 15 years old on my next birthday!

My friend, who rides 40 miles per day on the same exact route, every single day, just did 68 miles on his 68th birthday - well he tried, but had a flat, and as he carries no tire repairing equipment, didn't make it. So he tried it the next week, and guess what - another flat, and again no tire repairing equipment. I lent him a tube after he borrowed a patch and the tire blew out on a pinch flat as he was inflating it, and he made it. Why no tire repairing equipment? Well, he is just sort of a strange guy!

You should have no problem with the 65 miles after 4 months. Just a metric century. I did 100 miles after four months at age 58.

Sometimes on November 7th around here it is a bit snowy! May not make that.
    Last edited by DnvrFox; 07-26-05 at 12:30 PM.
    Gone - email me at dnvrfox@aol.com for new group of old 50+ folks

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GrannyGear
    Tell you what....when you let us know what day you're riding, if its a weekend, I'll ride a 65 (my age plus the age of my cat!) mile loop, too And believe me, I'll be icing my knees afterwards just like you. 8-) Happy preparations!
    Fantasic idea. Let us know the date and as many of us as possible will do the ride with you. Admittedly on our local routes so although not there physically, we will be there in spirit. Only thing is- Don't take in too many hills- they might make some of us think we have not ridden to your standard.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, the one thing I'd suggest is to be very patient on the ride. Don't overexert in the beginning. Pacing yourself can really be the difference between success and coming up short. I used to be advisor for a high school riding group. This is around the Lemond era and all the kids had dreams of doing the TdF. Like young hares, they'd start out at about 22-23 miles per hour and I'd just pretty much draft off of them. On a 100k type ride, about half of them would burn out way before the end, whereas the others would soon slow down to a snail's pace before too long. They were in much better shape than me, but I'd have energy to burn. They had spent theirs.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox
    I like your idea, but then I will only be 15 years old on my next birthday!

Me too! But, I'm 27 years old in my heart - it's just the body that thinks its old.

Trek Madone 5.2 wsd

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam
    Fantasic idea. Let us know the date and as many of us as possible will do the ride with you. Admittedly on our local routes so although not there physically, we will be there in spirit. Only thing is- Don't take in too many hills- they might make some of us think we have not ridden to your standard.
    The big day will be: Sunday, September 4th. It would be wonderful to have all you 'virtual riders' along with me! Do you think we can celebrate a 'virtual birthday dinner' afterwards? LOL

Trek Madone 5.2 wsd

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LookinUp,
    OK....Sep 4 is on my calendar...the virtual beer is on me. Keep us posted on your experiences as you increase your distances in the coming weeks--leaving recovery time of course. Postings following your ride should be fun. Full ride reports...only minor exaggeration. Everybody has their advice, but remember that the motivation of Big Event Day is good for some extra miles beyond your normal long training ride. Besides, you have all that beer and cake virtually waiting for you.
    David.
    Last edited by GrannyGear; 07-26-05 at 02:49 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm in!!!

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Count me in too!! But then, my next birthday is December 31st. So I've got some time to prepare for a 67-mile ride. But those damned hills--no avoiding them in Southern California.

Hold me to my commitment, guys (and girls!).
    Specialized Roubaix Pro
    Specialized Sequoia Elite

My Bikes
    Cannondale T800
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My first reaction was "that's easy". Then I read your post and saw "miles" and thought "not quite so easy". I keep my log in kilometres. Two years ago my longest ride was 97 km = 61 miles and I was 58, so I made it. Last year I was 59 amd my longest ride was 58 miles, so I just missed. Both of those rides were while touring with fully-loaded panniers, though not on my birthday. I would be happy to ride my age any day during the year.

My Bikes
    06 Fuji Team RC, 03 K2 Team ZED
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last August 10, I celebrated my 60th birthday by riding the first century of my life. All my friends and family thought I was crazy (and maybe I am) but this year, I plan to do the same route on my 61st and hopefully every year after for a long time.
    I took up biking and other exercise after bypass surgery 5 years ago. Hope to do about 2,500 miles total this year.
    I am very fortunate and blessed to be able to do what I do - only wish I could keep up with the "Under 50" riders.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Date Change - the ride will be Saturday, September 3. It will be fun to have all you 'virtual' riders with me. Wonder if we can create a 'virtual' peleton? Hmmm... do you think Lance would ride 'virtually' with us?

Trek Madone 5.2 wsd

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lookinUp,
    Thanks for the update....Saturday's a better day for me. You can ride beside Lance. As for me, Sherryl will be riding on my handlebars. If I flat, will you guys wait for me?
    David.

Lets go Bucs!
    My Bikes
    Specialized Allez
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, what a weird set of circumstances. I get a birthday greeting from a Joe Gardner at Bike Forums and decide to browse the forums. I found the 50+ group and the challenge to ride my age on my birthday, which is today! I think, since my ride yesterday was rain shortened (think frog drowning rain) that I will finish the rest of my age (52) today. That's not too bad 20 yesterday, 32 today. Well I got out there and thought, Hey, I could acutally do 52 today (hills and all) and with the unknowning support of this group did just that!

Thanks for the challenge and the unknowing support. It's great to know that there are some 50+ folks out there with the guts to jump on a bike and take off.

Craig Fluck, Macon, GA
    "I may not feel lucky, but I'm smart enough to know that I should try to." Ani DiFranco

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Craig.....why don't you join us on Sept 3....we're riding separately (but together in spirit) to celebrate lookinUp's b'day and why not yours belatedly too....he'll be 134 years old! Seriously, there's some communal feeling here I think. Who knows, maybe we can swap cell phone no.'s and check up on each other....if I hear the tv going in the background.....LOL. Seriously, this is a serious idea I think. At least, I plan to. And damn sure lookinUp better be out there 8-)

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CFluck
    OK, what a weird set of circumstances. I get a birthday greeting from a Joe Gardner at Bike Forums and decide to browse the forums. I found the 50+ group and the challenge to ride my age on my birthday, which is today! I think, since my ride yesterday was rain shortened (think frog drowning rain) that I will finish the rest of my age (52) today. That's not too bad 20 yesterday, 32 today. Well I got out there and thought, Hey, I could acutally do 52 today (hills and all) and with the unknowning support of this group did just that!

Thanks for the challenge and the unknowing support. It's great to know that there are some 50+ folks out there with the guts to jump on a bike and take off.

Craig Fluck, Macon, GA

Great job, Craig!!

Trek Madone 5.2 wsd

My Bikes
    Lemond Buenos Aries, Gary Fisher Tassajara, Trek 4500, plus many more
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey lookinUp, I have ridden with several people when they have done their first metric century. Most of them had just a few months of biking (like you) behind them and we did the miles at a very leisurely pace. I have had a similar goal for a long time. I will be 60 tomorrow and I do plan on riding 60 miles, but it will probably have to wait until the weekend. I usually don't have time after work for 60 miles and have to limit my mid-week rides to 25-30 miles.

My Bikes
    05 Specialized Roubaix
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As I was planning on taking PTO for my birthday, I may have to do this! Of course, I get off easy compared to some of you other posters as I'll only be 52! It's been a couple months since I've even done 40 miles so this will be a nice stretch.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A few more riders, this might be mistaken for a Critical Mass ride....only more spread out. Cool.

My Bikes
    2013 KHS Flite 747
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think many of us could ride 2X their age with a little preparation.

For instance, I rode a century in January, just before my 50th birthday.
    JavaMan!
    Faster than a speeding moped!
    More powerful than the Santa Ana winds!
    Able to bunny-hop railroad tracks in a single bound!

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And damn sure lookinUp better be out there 8-)
    Absolutely! I've got 4 people that are planning to ride the entire 65 miles with me plus several others who will ride parts of it. Even have a good friend fron Tennessee coming down to participate and celebrate my b'day.

Anyone participating in the challenge is welcome to join us for dinner at Jam's Restaurant on SR 775 in Cape Haze, Florida around 6:30 p.m. on Saturday, September 3.

Trek Madone 5.2 wsd

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A few more riders, this might be mistaken for a Critical Mass ride....only more spread out. Cool.
    Let's call it a 'virtual' Critical Mass ride!

Trek Madone 5.2 wsd

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast