Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Non-Sticky, non=cloying replacement drink??

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-05, 12:02 PM
Berry Pie..the Holy Grail

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

A previous thread prompted this one...hope I'm not redundant. Looking for an on-bike replacement drink that isn't overly sweet, saliva coagulating, finger/lip sticky, or otherwise disagreeable....but is also tasty and has a bit of energy, electolytes, etc.

Thanks for suggestions.
David.
Old 07-16-05, 12:24 PM
Roadie

Bikes: kestrel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I prepare a drink with the following ingredients:
dextrose (=grape sugar, glucose)
pinch of light salt (KCl + NaCl)
water
squeeze of lemon or pomegranate concentrate

Glucose is relatively inexpensive, it is also highly dissolvable in water and is not sweet at all. It also has the advantage of being a readily useable source of energy.
Old 07-16-05, 12:33 PM
Calamari to go

Bikes: Trek 750

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I find fruit punch flavored Powerade about right to my taste. During a hot ride it is not too sweet, but I wouldn't drink it otherwise without diluting it. Take only a small bottle on the longer rides, along with a Camelback of water.

To me, any flavor of Gatorade has such a bad aftertaste that I want to suck on a lemon to get rid of it. Sometimes lingers for hours and can ruin my whole ride.
Old 07-16-05, 01:56 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Don't know if the U K products will be available in other countries, but a good isotonic that I use is Isostar. This is available as a premade drink, but works out expensive so I buy the powder to Mix. The one I favour for general riding though is called Leppin. Bought as a powder, in various flavours and the One I rate for taste is Fruit Burst. This is a training formula and is an energy drink. This is one that on my longer rides I use at double strength towards the end of the ride, to replace as much energy as possible.

I still rate pure water as the best drink though, but thanks to the plastic taste from bike bottles, I generraly just add a little fruit squash to slightly colour and taste.
Old 07-16-05, 05:19 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Bikes: Varies by day

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Sqwincher
Old 07-19-05, 09:13 AM
Virginia

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like Gookinaid Hydralite, original citrus flavor. It's been around since the 70s for sure, perhaps longer, and has stood the test of time. And it tastes good. Just know that it's not an energy drink - strictly a hydrator. Available in big cans of powder (best buy) or trial-sized packets at REI stores or on their website.

Last edited by Duck22; 07-25-05 at 04:25 PM. Reason: Add URL
Old 07-20-05, 09:07 AM

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
Originally Posted by cc_rider
I find fruit punch flavored Powerade about right to my taste. During a hot ride it is not too sweet, but I wouldn't drink it otherwise without diluting it. Take only a small bottle on the longer rides, along with a Camelback of water.

To me, any flavor of Gatorade has such a bad aftertaste that I want to suck on a lemon to get rid of it. Sometimes lingers for hours and can ruin my whole ride.
If you're near a Chinatown, or Asian market, try the dried orange or lemon peel. Its dried with salt and sometimes some sugar. I carry some in a small plastic zip bag. It will kill any gel after taste. It will also replenish your body salts.
Old 07-24-05, 01:52 PM

Bikes: 2004 Giant Cypress, 2006 Trek 7.3 FX, 2007 Gary Fisher Wahoo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Propel has only 2 grams of sugar per serving. The Black Cherry and Berry are my favorites. Heed by Hammer is also low in sugar, but I have not tried it yet.
Old 07-25-05, 03:21 PM
370H-SSV-0773H

Bikes: Merlin Fortius, Specialized Crossroads & Rockhopper, Serotta Fierte, Pedal Force RS2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
- i prefer the powder mixes so i can adjust for my taste...

- the best replenishment drink for me so far is Ultima Wild Raspberry (the contents listing is very impressive)...

- for water during my ride i use just plain water or Gatorade powder at a 60 percent mix...

- but i'm sure just drinking enough water and having a bananna after a ride would work just as well?

:-)
Old 07-25-05, 04:03 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by linux_author
- - but i'm sure just drinking enough water and having a bananna after a ride would work just as well?

:-)
No way!!!!
Whilst you are riding, or doing any exercise- you are losing body water. It does not take much to be sweated out for the body to start being dehydrated. When that happens, performance and energy drops off drastically.The sensible thing to do is keep sipping at the water bottle- continually. I never stop and have a good guzzle at the bottle, but I am continually sipping, sipping and sipping. This is made easier for me by having a Camel back, where the nozzle is to hand and put in the mouth and drink. In the summer this will be 1 litre an hour, but even in the winter, I still go through two 500ml bottles in a 2 hour ride. Even after the ride, I still keep up the fluid intake for a couple of hours, but this may not be of necessity, but that cold beer or two does taste good at this time of the year.
Old 07-26-05, 12:35 PM
370H-SSV-0773H

Bikes: Merlin Fortius, Specialized Crossroads & Rockhopper, Serotta Fierte, Pedal Force RS2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stapfam
... but that cold beer or two does taste good at this time of the year.
- that beer in England tastes good ANY time of the year!

(what does a typical pint cost nowadays, anyway?)