Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

How many over 50 ride a Lemonds?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-05, 08:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I wonder how many of us here ride a Lemonds? I got an 05 Tourmalet and love it, I bought it because it fit me better than the others I rode. My best time so far is 17 miles in one hour, I know many of you do better than that but so far its the best speed I have.
Old 06-20-05, 08:58 PM
Lets Ride

Bikes: Trek 1200, Lemond Sarthe, Gary Fisher Tass

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lemond Sarthe here. Average 500 miles a month at 17+.
Old 06-21-05, 03:44 AM

Bikes: Lemond Buenos Aries, Gary Fisher Tassajara, Trek 4500, plus many more

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride a Lemond Buenos Aires. I usually do about 600 miles a month. I never use speed as a measure. Instead I use satisfaction as a measure of how successful a ride was.
Old 06-21-05, 05:33 AM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Lemond BA

alomg with bikes listed below
Old 06-21-05, 07:27 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I almost bought a new but older Tourmalet with the 853 Steel frame instead I found a great deal on the 05 with aluminum frame and I wonder if I missed out on a better ride, you know "Steel is Real". LOL But my bike rides so good I guess I will never know. I use several measures when I ride that add up to my satisfaction of how well I am doing in my quest for bike fitness, speed is one of them, another one is heart rate and while I do not as yet have a heart monitor, I like to go harder at the end so I am really pumped when I quit for the day. I also use a Garmin 201 and look back on my computer to measure my progress, currently I am averaging 90-120 miles a week but would like to get up to 600 miles a month. How many of you set goals for your cycling so you can measure improvements?
Old 06-21-05, 08:20 AM

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 699 Times in 436 Posts
Fuuny timing on this thread. I've been looking at road bikes (ride a mtn.bike now), and have found the Lemond bikes to be the best fit. I've tried a lot, but there is something slightly different that just plain feels more comfortable to me. The one I'm considering is the Reno, it's about what my budget will allow for now, and seems good enough to last me for a good long while.
Old 06-21-05, 11:43 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by freeranger
Fuuny timing on this thread. I've been looking at road bikes (ride a mtn.bike now), and have found the Lemond bikes to be the best fit. I've tried a lot, but there is something slightly different that just plain feels more comfortable to me. The one I'm considering is the Reno, it's about what my budget will allow for now, and seems good enough to last me for a good long while.
I test rode a Reno before I found my Tourmalet and the ride is the same, I was going to buy the Reno til I found a better deal. THe fit is what sold me on Lemond.
Old 06-21-05, 07:36 PM

Bikes: Not enough

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Have a BA- Nice Bike. I've slowed down this year. Avg about 15 mph. 1100 miles to date 2005, about 400 behind last year this time.

I've seen Trekke's scarthe, Really Really nice bike!
Old 06-21-05, 08:01 PM

Bikes: 04 Lemond Buenos Aires, 2010 Cannondale

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
My first road bike was a Nevada City. Bought a Buenos Aires last year. Love 'em both.
Old 06-21-05, 08:51 PM
Lets Ride

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Red Baron
Have a BA- Nice Bike. I've slowed down this year. Avg about 15 mph. 1100 miles to date 2005, about 400 behind last year this time.

Hi Red Baron, rode by your place yesterday. Had some young kid named Brian from Midway ride with me a while. He scared me. You could tell he had not much road experience. I cut up Aiiken Blvd and sent him towards US 62. Hope he made it. Scarthe - what is that? See ya. Hope your back is feeling better. Mark crashed last week and is now hamburger man. He will live though.
Old 06-21-05, 08:51 PM
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1393 Post(s)
Liked 1,325 Times in 837 Posts
How do we account for the "good fit" some of you report? Precisely how do Lemonds differ from other popular road frames? It might be a frame "squareness" (ratio of top tube length to seat tube length) issue ... I simply don't know.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 06-21-05, 08:52 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Red Baron

1100 miles to date seems pretty good. I am riding mainly to improve my health and it's fun too. I have a question, when you have a physical, does your doctor say the cycling has helped you a lot? I have a physical set up for next month and I am hoping all the cycling I have been doing will result in lower cholesterol readings. I would also like to see better heart rates, etc.
Old 06-22-05, 04:17 PM

Bikes: Not enough

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by glassman
1100 miles to date seems pretty good. I am riding mainly to improve my health and it's fun too. I have a question, when you have a physical, does your doctor say the cycling has helped you a lot? I have a physical set up for next month and I am hoping all the cycling I have been doing will result in lower cholesterol readings. I would also like to see better heart rates, etc.
glassman - thanks for the question. Dr says cycling is very helpful. BUT my cholesterol has always been at a 223 or so . Dr says exercise does not excuse poor eating habits when cholesterol is concerned, and perhaps even weight - its been hard to drop below 200lbs this year for some reason (perhaps love them sweets too much).
Blood pressure usually 130/80 or 140/90. But Dr was amazed during recent heart stress test (I'm 58). HR was 58 start and was hard to hit 130 even at time limit. He shut it down and said don't worry, ain't nothing wrong in that area of Body.

Trekkie - I keep missing ya, I ride odd hrs and often on a whim. Did 37 today (got off work this afternoon) - did Hanley Hill PHEW! On my BA, its a triple and a 12-27 casette in back. Legs are now like rubber.
For all you reading this, Hanley Ln. is a single lane road on a hill down by the KY river going up a holler near the KY river to a high plain, about 0.8 mile in length, rises about 500 feet, averages 16% Grade (figured cosine than calculated angle) Hits 20% at a few points from a crude inclinometer measurement. Most folks won't go DOWN as they are concerned brakes will give way. ( miss the stop sign at bottom and you could be in troube). Its near an old distillery were Jim Beam is still stored (scent was strong today!!!)
Actually, Old Taylor and Old Crow original distillerey.

Good luck glassman on your Physical
Old 06-22-05, 08:52 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks Red Baron,
I have changed my diet in addition to all the excercise I have been getting. I now eat whle Bran cerials with high fiber, double fiber breads, food that have 0 cholosterol but I do enjoy steaks once or twice a week, I still take Zocor but I am hoping for a real reduction, enough that the DR may say I don't need Zocor. I had an accident tonight on my Tourmalet, I ride in the country and traffic got real bad for a few minutes and I had to get off on shoulder which is loose gravel and I crashed my bike, I was going slow but bike slid out from under me, only hurt my pride, the chain did come off but I got going again and went home. I was glad I had my riding gloves on.
Old 06-22-05, 09:08 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
hi
i haven't posted in this forum before but i saw the reference to LeMond. i am going to be 63 this year (nov) and i teach 2 spin classes a week at a local gym. i have been doing this since january and recently bought a road bike (classic 1989 miyata 914) to get some real riding experience. the connection, all the spin bikes are Lemond, they are very good, stable smooth quiet. does that count?
Old 06-23-05, 01:10 PM
But I'm saving $ on gas!

Bikes: LeMond Victoire (pure fun), Trek 1200 (commuter), Trek 930 MTB (winter commuter)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My "Sunday Bike" is a LeMond Victoire. I call her "White Lightening".
Old 06-23-05, 07:10 PM

Bikes: Lemond Zurick, BF Pocket Crusoe, Trek 2120, Iron Horse Maverick

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride a Lemond Zurich. It's a comfortable, sweet ride. The geometry fits me well. I am 60 and average around 16 mph on 30-50 mile rides in rolling countryside. If I push myself, I can average 17 mph. My goal is to routinely average 17 mph with moderate exertion. Speed is not important to me except as a way to gauge whether or not I am improving my fitness level. Of course, with age chipping away at my upper physical limits, just maintaining the status quo would probably be a good thing!
Old 06-23-05, 08:16 PM
Lets Ride

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by glassman
My Doctor just listens to my heart and shakes his head. Resting HR is <50, BP is perfect, sugar is perfect and cholesteral is 160. He always ask me how my cycling is going and says he sees me out riding sometimes. I always ask him for his opinion on the amount I ride. He always just says he is still thinking about it. Been that way for 5 years. Behind my back he really thinks I am a nut I believe but his professional attitude wont let him say it to my face. Strange relationship him and I have.
Old 06-23-05, 08:23 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bacco
I ride a Lemond Zurich. It's a comfortable, sweet ride. The geometry fits me well. I am 60 and average around 16 mph on 30-50 mile rides in rolling countryside. If I push myself, I can average 17 mph. My goal is to routinely average 17 mph with moderate exertion. Speed is not important to me except as a way to gauge whether or not I am improving my fitness level. Of course, with age chipping away at my upper physical limits, just maintaining the status quo would probably be a good thing!
I agree with your statement. All of our lives we are taught at our jobs to be efficient and whatever I do, I try to be efficient and while I know cycling is about having fun, I have more fun measuring my progress as I get as physically fit as possible for someone who is 54. I neglected this engine for too long and now I want it tuned up....I am sure most feel the same way. I also like how the wind blows thru my helment when I am flying down a hill as fast as I can go......tonight as I was riding, I saw 2 cyclists ahead of me, probably 3/4 of a miles and for some reason I started pedaling faster thinking I might be able to catch them.....I did catch them, 2 women, a lady and her 17 year old daughter, but I still felt good to catch them and pass them.......
Old 06-24-05, 08:40 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For any of you who do not have a Lemond, there are 30 on Ebay right now
https://sporting-goods.listings.ebay....istingItemList

Old 06-24-05, 11:28 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
I ride a '02 Alpe D' Huez which is the newest bike in my "stable". I really love the ride of the 853 steel, although I do miss having lugs simply because of their beauty.

Lately my other bikes are losing riding time to the Lemond.
Old 06-26-05, 02:19 PM

Bikes: Trek 5500, Colnago C-50

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by John E
How do we account for the "good fit" some of you report? Precisely how do Lemonds differ from other popular road frames? It might be a frame "squareness" (ratio of top tube length to seat tube length) issue ... I simply don't know.
Longer top tube, better fit for people with longer torsos relative to legs. They don't fit me at all.
Old 06-26-05, 04:42 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I rode some Treks, etc and I rode a Lemonds and it was more confortable to me riding the Lemonds, I usually only get to ride 10-30 miles a day but I really like mine. I don't know if the steel is better, some say it has a better ride.
Old 06-27-05, 11:31 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I picked up a Zurick this year. I was going to buy this bike last year but it took me awhile to get comfy with the new frame technology. I really liked the all steel frame. But no complaints. I love this bike. I bought it after not being able to feel the difference when compared to bikes costing $1000 to $1500 more. Great bike!
Old 07-20-05, 12:55 AM
PRican

Bikes: Lemond Zurich/Trek 8000 MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Someone is trying to sell me a lemond zurich for $1200, the bike is an 2004, any opinions are appreciated.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.