Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Where do you ride?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Where do you ride?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-05, 07:38 PM
Fanatic

Bikes: Priority Ace of Spades single speed

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 1 Post
What kind of area do you live in and where does everyone ride for a good workout on a regular basis?

Last edited by peterjcb; 08-02-05 at 07:46 PM.
Old 08-02-05, 08:31 PM
fmw
Hoosier Pedaler

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I live in the country in an area of rolling hills. I just leave my driveway and pick a direction. There are miles and miles of country roads all over the place. This morning before breakfast I did what I call the Tour de Potato Creek. It is a 13 mile circuit around the state park near my farm. I saw only one whitetail doe and one rabbit. Usually there is more wildlife than that on this short little trip. That's it. I ride solo on country roads every day.
Old 08-02-05, 09:04 PM
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
I'm pretty lucky. I live in the inner city area of Lansing, MI. My bike is my only transportation, so I ride a lot on the city streets. But I can easily ride on country roads, located in the farmland owned by Michigan State University. This beautiful countryside is only about 3 miles from my ghetto apartment. Also, we have a very nice multi-user path along the Red Cedar River and the Grand River, about 15 miles long, with access points only a few blocks from my house.

I know this isn't much compared to places out west, or in Europe. I do think that almost every community has great rides, as long as you are willing to explore and find them. That really is half the fun of riding a bike. You see places you never would have seen otherwise.
Old 08-02-05, 10:01 PM

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I live in Pasadena CA (just praised as one of "America's Best Towns" in Outside Magazine). Year-round cycling, obviously. I live near the Rose Bowl, around which is a well-known training loop. Lots of hills, which in my aged newbie state is a hindrance to the "go anywhere you want" freedom of cycling. But I'm getting there.
Old 08-03-05, 05:05 AM
Badger Biker

Bikes: Cannondale Saeco CAD-3, Surly Cross Check

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I live in southern Wisconsin and within two miles of my condo I'm in the country. I can do flat or rolling hills. Very low traffic and what traffic there is the drivers are great!
Old 08-03-05, 06:29 AM
Get A Life - Get A Bike

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Bianchi San Jose, '87 Schwinn Super Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We live in the western suburbs of the twin cities area in Minnesota. The bulk of our riding takes place on mainly low traffic (during non-rush hour) roads. Beautiful area really. Lots of rolling hills, lakes, marsh, parks and wildlife to see. The roads vary from county highways with nice shoulders and bike lanes to backroads w/o any shoulders, but little or no traffic. The drivers have been very courteous.

We also have a paved trail that we used to frequent that takes us past a couple of city lakes, but I find that to be more dangerous than the highway due to kids on bikes w/training wheels, dog-walkers on cell-phones and pedestrians with headphones.

The road is where it's at!

Steve
Old 08-03-05, 07:10 AM
Recovering Retro-grouch

Bikes: Too Many - 7 or 8

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Southern Maine. Off-road I can hit a trail out my back door and be gone as long as I want and not hit the same trail twice. I can commute to work off road if I want. Road - same deal. Country raods covered by the shade of forest growth make the hot summer days easier to take. Or I can head towards the coast if I want that farmland atmosphere. Severe hills, rollers and everything in between.

My Blog - Lost in the Bo Zone
Old 08-03-05, 07:51 AM
Papa Wheelie

Bikes: Jamis Aurora '02; Takara Medalist (650B)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yes.
MAdison wisc here
lots of lovely and challenging county roads nearby
the city has some good bike paths that cross the city, and one, the SW trail, that easily gets you out of town
Old 08-03-05, 08:35 AM

Bikes: Cannondale ST600

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Northwestern Washington. My usual is a 20 mile ride through rolling hills and farmland.
Old 08-03-05, 09:05 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here in Columbia, SC, I ride at a local military reservation which is virtually deserted
on the weekends, and for shorter rides I go to a local cemetary that is hilly......but
I can't say deserted. But the residents are very quiet and don't drive, and if they
every get noisy I'm getting the heck out of there.

lastPlace
Old 08-03-05, 10:00 AM
Roadie

Bikes: kestrel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Geographical location - southern israel
Topography - highly variable, extensive flats, rolling hills and mountainous.
Climate - Warm to hot with about 150 mm (ca 7 inches) annual precipitation
Flora - some planted forests in the hills but mostly shrub and desert type vegetation. Agriculture in the northern section of the region, barren in the southern part.

Riding routes are fantastic - we could choose flat agricultural lands, barren mountain passes, rolling desert scenery, green forests and even mediterranean coast within a fairly short range. Saturday rides average 70 miles. Two major problems:
1) have to get out early before the heat and on saturdays before the drivers
2) drivers are totally inconsiderate making riding a dangerous proposition on weekdays (saturday is our only weekend since sunday is a normal workday here).
I commute about 40 miles twice a week through rolling desert topography with a 200 m pass toward the end, it's great but I count my blessings every time i make it.
I envy all you like dnvrfox and the like who could just ride out their door into those serene country roads.

happy riding
Old 08-03-05, 10:26 AM
Jer. 29:11

Bikes: Gary Fisher Superfly, Bianchi Axis, Trek Madone 5.5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I live in a far northern suburb of Detroit and ride every morning around the Stony Creek metropark. If I take all the side roads into picnic areas and beaches I can get about 15 miles for one circle around the lake. Then I reverse the route and do it again, sometimes cutting off the side jaunts to give me 25 miles a day. It's like a huge open air gym, with cyclists, road riders and MTN bikers, runner, rollerbladers, power walkers. I see a flock of wild turkeys every day and usually several whitetail deer. Its a great ride with water, woods and lots of open space.
Follow me on Twitter @michiganbiking and @michigandermike
Bikes: '09 Gary Fisher Superfly, '08 Trek Madone 5.5, '05 Bianchi Axis
Old 08-03-05, 01:54 PM
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,836 Times in 2,229 Posts
Western St. Louis county, Missouri, about 35 mi west of the Mississippi River. Terrain is hilly and in my immediate area there are lots of low traffic rural type roads; drivers on these roads are patient and usually courteous. In the greater area there are lots of flat routes as well as the hills. Katy Trail is close if a person wants 250+ mi of flat, continuous Rails to Trails crushed limestone.

You just have to get used to that mid-west summer heat. The heat wouldn't be such an issue for me but I came from coastal California (cycling paradise in Santa Cruz county) about a year ago.
Old 08-03-05, 03:52 PM
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1393 Post(s)
Liked 1,326 Times in 837 Posts
I live in north coastal San Diego County, in what used to be the "Flower Capital of the World." For recreation, I head north on Pacific Coast Highway 101 to Oceanside Harbor, south on the same road to the Torrey Pines / UCSD area, or east to Lake Hodges and/or through Rancho Santa Fe. If I head west, I get wet and salty. I really should not expect sympathy from anyone.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 08-03-05, 04:32 PM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Berts
I envy all you like dnvrfox and the like who could just ride out their door into those serene country roads.
True, I am one of those who can ride literally out my back door onto a 400 mile trail system with a variety of terrain with just a few road crossings.

I led a senior ride last week from a local nature center to the heart of Denver and back (29 miles total) and only had one totally unbusy street crossing.

I am extremely careful where I ride, as any serious type of accident would be pretty critical to me since I am on warfarin therapy, and could bleed real easily, especially an internal head bleed.

I have come to the conclusion that while there are more accidents un MUP's, there are far more serious and critical accidents when you mix bicycles with cars. Others can disagree all they want - but that is my conclusion, and I think I have the stats to back it up. But I don't have them right now, I did my research about two years ago. So don't ask me for them!
Old 08-03-05, 04:42 PM

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 25 Posts
I have the extreme good fortune to live 2 blocks from a paved creek trail that goes to the edge of San Francisco bay. No cars and a beautiful destination. A round trip is 15 miles. I love it.
Old 08-03-05, 04:54 PM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bkaapcke
I have the extreme good fortune to live 2 blocks from a paved creek trail that goes to the edge of San Francisco bay. No cars and a beautiful destination. A round trip is 15 miles. I love it.
I am suddenly and insanely envious.

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 08-03-05, 07:00 PM

Bikes: Specialized 6Fattie, Parlee Z5, Scott Addict

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
I live in one the of most densly populated areas of the country - east central New Jersey. Almost every Saturday and Sunday morning, I get up early and drive 40 min. to an hour out to western NJ to participate in club rides. I've traveled all over the US, and Hunterdon County, in western NJ, is one of the best road biking areas there is. For a "local" ride after work, I drive over to Rutgers Piscataway campus. I, too, envy those of you who don't have to drive to ride. NJ is a great place for road, mtn and multi-use path riding. Unfortunately, I don't live close to the goods.
Old 08-03-05, 09:00 PM
Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: Bacchetta Corsa, RANS Stratus XP

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I live in far south Arlington, Texas, which is on the southern edge of the Dallas / Fort Worth metroplex. I'm 2 miles from Joe Pool Lake, which is one of the most popular cycling areas in this part of Texas. I take off from my driveway, 5 days a week, for a 22 mile loop if I'm riding my tandem with my wife, or a 25 mile loop if it's just me on my bike.
Old 08-03-05, 10:35 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Bikes: Varies by day

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Directly above the center of the earth, and anywhere the wheels will touch.
Old 08-03-05, 11:04 PM
Burnt Orange Blood

Bikes: Trek 7200, Lashout Electric Bike, Raleigh Talon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride on rural subdivision roads and two-lane semi-rural roads to work. It's the Texas Hill Country so the flat sections are few and far between. Traffic is light, there are very few businesses, and there's only one stoplight on my 34-mile roundtrip commute. I have to enter a four-lane U.S. highway with narrow shoulders for about 0.2 mile.

I haven't ridden "just for fun" for awhile but when I was starting out, I rode at the Veloway, a 3.1-mile, one-way, two-lane, closed loop exclusively for cyclists and rollerbladers.
Old 08-04-05, 09:14 AM

Bikes: 1984 Peugeot P8; 2006 Trek 5200

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride directly from my home. It is located in an historic overlay neighborhood, small local streets. From there I move through the nice older section of the city, big older houses, nice yards, lots of built in sprinkler systems running between 5:30-6:00 am. Again small local streets I think there are even a couple of stop signs, but my sightlines of the intersecting streets usually allow me to proceed. return past Wake Forest University and some very old estates with huge mist filled meadows before returning through railway underpass to my home. Terrain is mixed hills and drops, long inclines and one long decline. Very little really level riding I love it! Total distance a liitle of 10.5 miles. It's my excersize ride. Other great local rides include the New River Trail in nearby Virginia.
Old 08-04-05, 01:41 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I live in New Jersey about 10 miles east of Philly. For a workout there's a road with bike lanes about a 1/4 mile from my house. West loop is about 14 miles. East loop about 11 miles. Continue east about 5 miles and the scenery goes from suburban to country. Another 5 miles puts me in the western part of the Pinelands National Reserve, the largest undeveloped area between Boston and Nags Head. From there, great cycing roads all the way to the Jersey shore 50 miles east of my home.
Old 08-04-05, 01:52 PM
Resident Old Fart

Bikes: Douglas Precision Ti

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I live in Tallahassee, Florida which is not at all what most people envision when thinking about Florida. It is more like South Georgia than South Beach.

I have the option of riding south of town where it is dead flat or north of town and into South Georgia where it is a little hilly. From my suburban house I can be on lightly traveled country roads in about ten minutes by bike.

I can actually get a pretty good hill workout without leaving my subdivision which was developed on an old plantation. As many of the old live oaks as possible were left when the subdivision was developed so it is a surprisingly nice place to ride.
Old 08-04-05, 03:01 PM
The Improbable Bulk

Bikes: Many

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I ride the roads of Wilkes-Barre PA and vicinity. I have been here for about 7 months, and have not been as good about cycling as I had been. What they call flat around here, I call rolling hills. They are getting easier.

Suburban/rural mostly

I have also enjoyed a few rides along the levy on the banks of the Susqhehanna river.

I sometimes like to ride a section of the Lehigh Gorge Trail on the weekends, I drive about 45 minutes to the Glen Onoko entrance near Jim Thorpe.

https://www.traillink.com/TL_Active_P...Details&ID=465

People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.