Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Need Bike Advice

Hi! Today's my birthday and my husband wants to buy me a bike.
    I haven't ridden in six years.
    I used to ride a 3 speed Raleigh, and then purchased a Trek Mountain Bike which I found uncomfortable and too many speeds(Hated shifting so many time!).
    My goal is to ride about 1 hour a day for exersise on the street some hills.
    I want comfort and ability to increase my time and distance.

What road bikes should I check out, our local store only carries elektra and claims I need to look no further?

Senior Curmudgeon
    My Bikes
    Electra Townie 1-speed with basket & fenders
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Electra isn't bad for a "comfort" bike. If you want more versatility, check out the Kona, Specialized, and Trek lines - all are popular and all should have something you'll like. Bon marche!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Electra line of bikes may actually suit your needs. Several of the bikes us a Shimano Nexus 7 or 8 speed internal hub. That means, unlike your mountain bike, with probably three front chain rings and 9 cogs in back, a total of 27 gears (that get out of adjustment), you have a very straightforward selection of gears. Try one of the Electras (making sure it is the Shimano Nexus internal shifting hub), and see what you think. Trek also has a line of bikes that uses the Nexus shifter. If your husband bought you a Mercedes coupe for your last birthday, you may want a bike with a Rohloff internal hub. They are quite pricey, but have up to 14 internal gears and are quite easy to use.

The Electra or the Trek may or may not fit you. If you get a more traditional road bike, you will want to make sure that the frame is a woman specific design (WSD). Women have longer inseam to torso lengths as compared to men (generally), and other women-specific fit issues. Saddles on these bikes are tailored to a woman's anatomy. Trek, Specialized and other major brands have WSD bikes.

Between Crystal River and Hernando, Florida, 6 miles west of the Withlacoochee Trail
    My Bikes
    I've had several since 1999 but have settled on my beloved 2001 Litespeed Tuscany and my latest, a 2015 Cannondale Supersix EVO 105
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by birthdaygirl
    What road bikes should I check out, our local store only carries elektra and claims I need to look no further?
    It's DEFINITELY time to look further! Aren't there any other bike shops in your town?

I'm 60 and you can see my "comfort" bikes below.
    My bikes: 2001 Litespeed Tuscany---2015 Cannondale Supersix EVO carbon 105

I thought of that while riding my bicycle -- Albert Einstein

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RonH
    It's DEFINITELY time to look further! Aren't there any other bike shops in your town?

There are better bikes around that the elektra, but choose carefully. Budget will come into it, but if you are looking at the cheaper end of the market- look at second- hand bikes. Plenty of them about and you will have the chance to try the bikes and see if they are comfortable. Try to steer clear of the mountain bikes, unless that is what you want or they are cheap enough. Look at the hybrid style of bikes.

My Bikes
    Trek 1000C WSD
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi there and Happy Birthday!! I don't know anything about bikes but I just got a Trek 1000C WSD. It's a road bike and Trek makes a bike line for women. I "tried on" alot of bikes when I went to the cycle shop and this one was perfect. Good luck!!

Senior Curmudgeon
    My Bikes
    Electra Townie 1-speed with basket & fenders
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Terex
    The Electra line of bikes may actually suit your needs. Several of the bikes use a Shimano Nexus 7 or 8 speed internal hub. That means...you have a very straightforward selection of gears. Try one of the Electras (making sure it is the Shimano Nexus internal shifting hub), and see what you think..
    I second Terex's advice on looking at the internal hub! For a newbie, there is less to maladjust, corrode, or give problems. The Electra bashers may not have actually tried one. The Electra "flat foot technology" that allows you to sit on the seat with your feet on the ground comfortably has a lot to recommend it. You are the rider of this purchase, not us. Pick what you like! Hope to see you riding someday!