The Improbable Bulk Little Darwin's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Many
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Honorary 50+?

I find myself spending a lot of time in this forum because I have a lot more in common with the people posting here than I do with the people in other forums.

However, I am in a quandary because I am only 48, and won't be 50 for another 18 months.

I am a talkative sort, and find myself wishing to post, so I want to make sure that it wouldn't upset others that a "youngster" would be hanging out in the group.

In fact, I just responded to a message, forgetting which forum I was in, which is what prompts this message.

I understand if some feel it would be a slippery slope, and eventually the forum would be filled with 30 year old elite cyclists defeating the purpose completely, so I will abide by the groups feelings.

Should I continue as a lurker, or get involved?

fmw
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't imagine why people would have a problem with anybody posting here. The topic is 50+. I don't know that the posters need to be.

Berry Pie..the Holy Grail GrannyGear's Avatar
    Weaving thru the cowpud outside Modesto CA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi, DGregory. You are the token youngster. Regardless, you will still receive your new member gift pack of Geritol, Icey Hot, and DentuGrip (good for gluing on tubulars).

Seriously, nice to have a frequent poster...I'm fairly new myself, although I'm having a tough time remembering what "48" was like.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kinda nice to be called a youngster at 48, isn't it?

I like this board too as the folk in these parts of the overall forum seem polite, considerate, knowledgeable, and laid back. A fun place to be.

My Bikes
    Many
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes it is kind of nice being the youngster, but I am used to it (at least at times).

I will be taking a trip to Washington state later this month because a lot of the people in my high school gang are turning 50 this year so there is a get together(I was the token Jr. in their Sr. year)

I guess I am old enough that I should know enough to not take things too literally.

I look forward to getting to know everybody!

Send email to dnvrfox@aol.com for new group
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Join us, but you will have to pay a "toll" fee.

Send the money directly to me.

($100 for each year under 50)
    Gone from the 50+ forum. - Email me at dnvrfox@aol.com for fun new group of 50+ folks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dgregory57
    However, I am in a quandary because I am only 48, and won't be 50 for another 18 months.
    If AARP has started soliciting you then you can post instead of lurking. Their marketeers started on me at 46 or 47.

My Bikes
    Trek 7200, Lashout Electric Bike, Raleigh Talon
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Two weeks till I turn 50 but I didn't let that stop me!

I just want to know where my welcome kit is!

Some call it God's country. I call it Acton, Maine
    My Bikes
    Too Many - 7 or 8
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally, I think it is an abomination. Let one in, and the next thing you know we'll be fielding BMX posts like, "My mom makes me wear a helmet. That sux so much." But I guess as long as you can whine, complain, and moan like an old codger then I guess no harm will be done. And our reputation for being geritol swilling, bengay smelling cruiser seat riding fools will remain intact.
    Keep it 'tween the ditches

My Blog - Lost in the Bo Zone

fmw
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh no! You mean I have to get a cruiser seat?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=GrannyGear]... you will still receive your new member gift pack of Geritol, Icey Hot, and DentuGrip (good for gluing on tubulars).

Hi, I just joined the forum. Could I have my new member gift pack please ? Thanks.

My Bikes
    Trek Medone 5.2 Dont forget the Res white and Blue a Trek 7100 Hybrid and Silvr vinage Aluminum Trek with Downrail shifterand wheels that wont stay true
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you can borrow 2 years from me...That would make me 53...better yet take 20 !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I find myself spending a lot of time in this forum because I have a lot more in common with the people posting here than I do with the people in other forums.

I am a talkative sort, and find myself wishing to post, so I want to make sure that it wouldn't upset others that a "youngster" would be hanging out in the group.

In fact, I just responded to a message, forgetting which forum I was in, which is what prompts this message.

I understand if some feel it would be a slippery slope, and eventually the forum would be filled with 30 year old elite cyclists defeating the purpose completely, so I will abide by the groups feelings.

Should I continue as a lurker, or get involved?
    I vote get involved, what kind of bike do you ride?

My Bikes
    Many
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm currently riding a Giant Sedona DX with slick 80 PSI tires, and also I am starting to spend some time on a cheap Univega 10 speed road bike. Tomorrow's ride will get me to the 1900 mile mark since I got the Sedona in August 2003.

I just bought the Univega on eBay to ensure I felt OK on a drop bar bike, in order to decide if I want to move to drop bars or go with a flat bar bike when I buy this off-season for next year.

I weigh just over 300 pounds, and decreasing (I had considered asking for an additional year on my age per 20 pounds over-weight if anyone objected to my presence), and I can do OK on the drops, although because of the gut in the way and different position/narrower bars, I don't feel very stable. I will be looking to spend up to $700 or so on a road bike. I am not very picky, and would probably just stick with the Univega except that I miss indexed shifting when I ride it, and it is 27" with no quick release anything. I did replace the cheap plastic saddle with a Brooks B-17 to get it broken in for whatever bike I will use next season.

I do like the more responsive feel of the road bike.

My first goal (besides weight loss) is to ride a century by the end of next season (I did a metric century last October, but was slow getting back on the bike this spring. I moved to Pennsylvania from California last winter, so I need to develop the discipline to get me through the cold winters in OK shape and get on the road earlier in the spring. (I bought a Kurt Kinetic trainer during the winter, but used it sporadically)
    Slow Ride Cyclists of NEPA

People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
    - Ralph Waldo Emerson

My Bikes
    Merlin Fortius, Specialized Crossroads & Rockhopper, Serotta Fierte, Pedal Force RS2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    - welcome, and keep working on riding - it's worth every minute!

- that fluid trainer for rainy, cold-weather sessions will help - don't give up! ... as a former resident of Pennsyltucky, i know the winters can be harsh!

- road bikes can be a challenge for those of us working on dropping the poundage... from what i've read, 32-spoke wheels properly tensioned can easily handle the weight... i have a road bike (24 spokes front, 28 rear) and make sure to check tension, rear wheel true [lateral] at least once a week... (recommend an investment in a spoke wrench for your bike)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm currently riding a Giant Sedona DX with slick 80 PSI tires, and also I am starting to spend some time on a cheap Univega 10 speed road bike. Tomorrow's ride will get me to the 1900 mile mark since I got the Sedona in August 2003.

I just bought the Univega on eBay to ensure I felt OK on a drop bar bike, in order to decide if I want to move to drop bars or go with a flat bar bike when I buy this off-season for next year.

I weigh just over 300 pounds, and decreasing (I had considered asking for an additional year on my age per 20 pounds over-weight if anyone objected to my presence), and I can do OK on the drops, although because of the gut in the way and different position/narrower bars, I don't feel very stable. I will be looking to spend up to $700 or so on a road bike. I am not very picky, and would probably just stick with the Univega except that I miss indexed shifting when I ride it, and it is 27" with no quick release anything. I did replace the cheap plastic saddle with a Brooks B-17 to get it broken in for whatever bike I will use next season.

I do like the more responsive feel of the road bike.

My first goal (besides weight loss) is to ride a century by the end of next season (I did a metric century last October, but was slow getting back on the bike this spring. I moved to Pennsylvania from California last winter, so I need to develop the discipline to get me through the cold winters in OK shape and get on the road earlier in the spring. (I bought a Kurt Kinetic trainer during the winter, but used it sporadically)
    It sounds like you are well on your way to those weight goals. You already have me beat, the longest ride I have at one time is 26 miles one morning, I did ride an additional 15 miles late that evening but I normally only ride 15 miles a day. I use a Garmin 301 to record my info. Let us know your progress as you slim down.

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome and keep up the great work and effort. One thing you might try to help with the continuity through the colder months is to set some goals. The goals could be time on trainer, miles on the trainer, etc. Just set some targets and try and stick with it. You'll find the transition from winter to spring much easier and much more enjoyable to boot. I'm very fortunate to live in the Carolinas and I can still ride in the winters. I have found I don't mind riding regardless of the temps-just dress for it and once you start the legs pumping you stay pretty warm.

I've lost 50 lbs myself since I started riding 3-4 years ago. I went from 220 lbs to 170 lbs and would probably like to ditch 5 more but folks say I don't need to. They just haven't seen that smallish tire arond my waste!!

I'm still learning more about cycling, doing more challenging rides and enjoying it even more everyday. I'm glad I've started riding around age 50 as it's given me something different to enjoy as a "hobby"-I'm afraid I might have some burnout if I had started in my 20's!