Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Most people think I'm crazy

Most people think I'm crazy because after riding a full suspension bike for the last three years my new bike is going to be a hard tail Giant XTC1. I feel that I need a lighter, faster bike for the type of cross country riding I do these days, but a lot of my friends say that I will miss the comfort of my old Specialized Rockhopper. From my point of view it weighs a ton and is soooo hard to get up those big hills. Has anyone had experiance of going from full suspension to hard tail?

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Patch
    Has anyone had experiance of going from full suspension to hard tail?
    No experience of Full suspension, but I have looked into it very seriously. Problem with a Full Suspension Bike is that you get what you pay for, And there is no way that a $1500 full suspension bike comes anywhere near the quality of a $1500 hardtail. Weight is one of the problems, and the other is the quality of the components. Hardtails at this price range do not have any vices either, which the same price full suspension would have due to the cheaper quality of parts fitted. Mind you-- When you get up to the "Quality" full suspension bikes, then you are in a different league. The suspension will work properly, The components will be top quality, no compromises on the frame, a great deal of development would have gone into the bike as a whole, and they will be comparitively light. You will also have a very good relationship with your bank manager as for most of us, the cost will be beyond our means for the time being.

Between Lecanto and Hernando Florida, 6 miles west of the Withlacoochee Trail
    My Bikes
    I've had several since 1999 but have settled on my beloved 2001 Litespeed Tuscany and my latest, a 2013 Cannondale CAAD 10.
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Patch
    Most people think I'm crazy
    You are crazy. You didn't get a road bike.
    My bikes --> 2001 Litespeed Tuscany---2013 Cannondale CAAD 10 2 (5) "Racing Edition"

Life is like a 10-speed bicycle. Most of us have gears we never use. ~ Charles Schultz

Senior Curmudgeon
    My Bikes
    Electra Townie 1-speed with basket & fenders
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You've got to ride it - not your friends. Get what you want to ride!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    keep them both.....
    Toybox: Litespeed Tuscany & Niota