Senior Curmudgeon
    My Bikes
    Electra Townie 1-speed with basket & fenders
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Road bike trial excitement

OK - Youse guys ragged me so badly about my "Boomer Bike" ideas that I decided to try the type bike you've told me you prefer. I found this today at a garage sale:

It's full Campy except for the cranks & front derailleur (Shimano Dura-Ace and 105, respectively). I immediately took off the clipless pedals - I'm not ready to go there yet, but I may just to get the "full effect."

This bike has an aluminum frame, a carbon fork, and was custom-built for a racing team member who's now going to an Oreba Orca instead.

I'm looking forward to riding it some tomorrow and more this coming week. I'm eager to see if y'all's enthusiasm for this type of bike is justified or not. In any case, it'll be an interesting contrast to my Kona.

Any suggestions unique to a racing bike (as opposed to my hybrid) that I should know about?

Thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That bike looks very nicely equipped! Congrats. It's also geared for strong legs. try it and post back with your impressions.
    Pablo
    A California ordinance states that a $500 fine will be given to anyone who detonates a nuclear device within city limits.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great for you!!!

My suggestion would be to get very familiar with the different hand position those bars offer. I got into biking again a few months ago and bought a hybrid which I love, a Jamis Coda Elite, but the one thing I missed from years ago were road bars. So, I just ordered a road bike. I'll use the hybrid for rides with the family and the road bike for long, hopefully faster, solo rides.

sch
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seat nose looks a bit high. In general it is set up for someone who is very flexible and can be stretched out. Look how much higher the seat is than the bars. Also the shifters are fairly far down on the bars and you would be less stretched out if they were moved to the top of the curve. Check out the Tour de france bikes for shifter positions. You might best be served by having a 'fit' session at one of the LBS to get a better handle on bike setup.
    Steve

Senior Curmudgeon
    My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've taken it out for 25 miles this morning, and have already raised the stem, tilted the bars "up and back" toward me, lowered the seat a tad, and come to the conclusions that:
    1. I'm not too wild about 10 speed rear cogs
    2. The seat on this bike isn't for me
    3. The gearing is tall for my body
    4. The frame (despite "racing" geometry) is comfortable, can be ridden without hands on the bars, and fits me well.

I'm also amazed that the wheels (which I thought I'd destroy on the first ride) not only held my weight fine but also remained true after numerous potholes despite the low spoke count! This bike is a tad "faster" than my hybrid (higher speed for same muscle output). I also find that I tend to ride harder when I'm on this bike (more aggressive posture?). Quite a fun ride!

Senior Curmudgeon
    My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sch
    Seat nose looks a bit high. In general it is set up for someone who is very flexible and can be stretched out. Look how much higher the seat is than the bars..
    You're right on all counts, Steve. Thanks for the feedback. I'll be putting my old reliable "Selle Italia Future" saddle on this today and will install it completely level. I've raised the stem about an inch, which is all the movement possible without exceeding the stem's limits. Without changing stems, it is what it is. Surprisingly, I don't seem to mind being on the bars (even though I'm significantly more horizontal than on my hybrid bike). Both my arms and my behind are OK with the bent over posture.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FarHorizon
    I'm also amazed that the wheels (which I thought I'd destroy on the first ride) not only held my weight fine but also remained true after numerous potholes despite the low spoke count! This bike is a tad "faster" than my hybrid (higher speed for same muscle output). I also find that I tend to ride harder when I'm on this bike (more aggressive posture?). Quite a fun ride!
    I do not know the bike or the wheels, but it is surprising how much misuse or weight that a well set up pair of wheels will take. Even a cheap set of wheels will benefit from being taken to a "Wheelsmith" to be properly tensioned and trued. Watch out for that more aggresive posture though. You night find that you run out of gears on this bike, Which if I remember correctly, was not the problem on the Kona.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've taken it out for 25 miles this morning, and have already raised the stem, tilted the bars "up and back" toward me, lowered the seat a tad, and come to the conclusions that:
    1. I'm not too wild about 10 speed rear cogs
    2. The seat on this bike isn't for me
    3. The gearing is tall for my body
    4. The frame (despite "racing" geometry) is comfortable, can be ridden without hands on the bars, and fits me well.

If you feel too stretched out and low, don't be afraid to get a much shorter/higher stem, maybe 17 degrees and 80-90 mm. That way you can "ease" into the feel of the bike. Most long distance riders like the bars about the same height as the seat( many of my "boomer" friends also ). I like my bars horizontal behind the hoods, and would have the shop move the brake lever position on the bars to get them "just right" after adjusting the bar position.
    Since you like platform pedals, you might think about switching out the ones there. It looks like they have plastic. Check out the "Stomp" pedals from Performance. They are alloy with a wide surface for shoe contact, and also have little allen screws that can be set just high enough to keep your feet from sliding around.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK - Youse guys ragged me so badly about my "Boomer Bike" ideas that I decided to try the type bike you've told me you prefer. I found this today at a garage sale:

It's full Campy except for the cranks & front derailleur (Shimano Dura-Ace and 105, respectively). I immediately took off the clipless pedals - I'm not ready to go there yet, but I may just to get the "full effect."

This bike has an aluminum frame, a carbon fork, and was custom-built for a racing team member who's now going to an Oreba Orca instead.

I'm looking forward to riding it some tomorrow and more this coming week. I'm eager to see if y'all's enthusiasm for this type of bike is justified or not. In any case, it'll be an interesting contrast to my Kona.

Any suggestions unique to a racing bike (as opposed to my hybrid) that I should know about?

Thanks.

Good bike, I have to start checking out garage sales if they sell those bikes at them.

Senior Curmudgeon
    My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by glassman
    Good bike, I have to start checking out garage sales if they sell those bikes at them.
    Your results may vary...

Senior Curmudgeon
    My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dchiefransom
    ..Check out the "Stomp" pedals from Performance..
    Excellent suggestions, all. Thanks! I'm particularly interested in the "high quality platform pedals" you mention. Do other manufacturers make such as well?