Rossy
    My Bikes
    Trek 2300/Schwinn MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lipitor & training

Anyone out there experienced muscle tiredness when using Lipitor. I have been on it for a year after a bypass op, cholesterol is low but legs get very tired and, even though I am training, don't appear to be getting much stronger.

Have stopped atking it for a couple of days and feeling better, will see how the weekend ride goes.

In Memory of One Cool Cat Blackberry's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Lemond Victoire, Cannondale.Mountain Bike, two 1980s lugged steel Treks, ancient 1980-something Giant mountain bike converted into a slick tired commuter with mustache handlebars, 1960-something Raleigh Sports
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can you talk to your doc about trying something else?
    Dead last finish is better than did not finish and infinitely better than did not start.

The Improbable Bulk Little Darwin's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Many
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And do it before you go too long without medication, just in case...
    Slow Ride Cyclists of NEPA

People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
    - Ralph Waldo Emerson

My Bikes
    a bunch
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rossy
    Anyone out there experienced muscle tiredness when using Lipitor. I have been on it for a year after a bypass op, cholesterol is low but legs get very tired and, even though I am training, don't appear to be getting much stronger.

Have stopped atking it for a couple of days and feeling better, will see how the weekend ride goes.
    as a naturopathic option, there is Common Speedwell - Veronica (Veronica officinalis) which is used extensively throughout Europe (and who knows where else), primarily in 'tea' form from the dried herb.
    My mother (mid 70s) recently has had significantly high Cholesterol and was prescribed Lipitor. She also has a 'fluid' problem that aggravates badly in her legs and ankles - the lipitor tends to increase the water problem.
    She had her friends in Germany send her some Veronica (Veronica officinalis) which she has now taken for some 4 months and had stopped taking lipitor. I went to visit her for the month of June and while at her recent health exam, the doctor made note of the 'normal' level of cholesterol. Doctor at this point is not aware she's stopped lipitor and subbed the herb (her choice to keep it that way).
    Veronica officinalis is used primarily fluid and 'flem' issues but also seems to have other properties. Her fluid buildup is somewhat better, but the cholesterol is markedly better.
    Her diet hasn't changed considerably - generally healthy, although less greens than I would like her to eat, but very little 'processed' foods, except pizza
    She uses a few other herbs, teas and other naturopathic stuff for general health (she also suffers from fairly severe arthritis); but is not against perscription drugs of the don't greatly have a negative impact in one area while claiming to help in another...
    I AM NOT A DOCTOR, nor an herbalist.I'm not advocating anything. This is not advise - just some info about options my mother took for one of her health issues.
    I personally use what I find will work and not be further damaging, whether mainstream or alternative.
    I ascribe to no movement, religion, belief or any such stuff - just wanna be as healthy a guy as I can, for as long as I'm breathin and eatin (and ridin...)
    There are a number of texts printed, that for many years have covered alternative medicine; among which I've found James Balch's (MD) book - Prescription for Nutritional Healing to always be a good starting point for some common aliments.
    For what its worth... and cost...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rossy

I don't have experience with Lipitor, but I have ridden on both Zocor and Crestor, and if I were you, I'd call the doctor right now. Muscle weakness/fatigue is one of the signs of a serious side effect from statin drugs. I think there is a simple blood test for it, though.

That said, I'm never as strong as I'd like to be. Never have been. Never will be. If you're the same way, factor that into how you feel.

BobL
    "Blessed are the tailwinds, for the weak shall inherit the earth ". 1st Cyclists 3:23
    2005 Airborne Ti Upright - Highly Modified
    1998 Trek 5200
    2004 Litespeed Bella for my wife

My Bikes
    06 Fuji Team RC, 03 K2 Team ZED
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am about to celebrate 5 years after bypass. The Docs put me on Lipitor, then Zocor, then Baycol (which had fewer side effects but was pulled from the market). All of them had some side effects but Lipitor being the worse - muscle aches in the legs, tired all the time, memory loss.
    We have finally settled on Lescol - I only take 1/2 of the dossage prescribed. It does not cause aches in the muscles but I still have tiredness and concern about memory loss. The Doc says that I would have some memory loss from ageing even if I didn't take the Rx, I have tried going without the medications but then my cholestorel goes up about 30 points in 60 days. It's "Damned if you do and damned if you don't".

My Bikes
    06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used to take Pravachol, but it seemed to make me weaker. To test, I stopped it for a few weeks, then went back to a hill that I had problems climbing. Never could before, but did after stopping. Now I am taking Crestor and it has significantly lowered my chol. and has not given me any problems. But talk to your doc, as what works for someone else may not work for you, and he has your background and history. There was a thread earlier on statins, seems lots of people have had problems with many of the diff. chol.-lowering meds.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was the neurological consultant on a case where the patient ultimately died due to Baycol causing breakdown of her muscles. It was horrible. The drug was pulled shortly after that. Thankfully, I've not seen any further tragedies of that magnitude from cholesterol drugs since Baycol was pulled. We believe that the lipid lowering drugs sometimes cause a disruption of the normal lipid membranes that our muscles are made of.

I do see folks for muscle pain with the cholesterol drugs. We always check the "CPK" to look for signs of muscle breakdown. Some of the cholesterol drugs have more of a problem, some less. Pravachol is felt to be one of the gentler medications when it comes to muscle problems. However, it is not always as effective for lowering the cholesterol.
    I would talk to the prescribing doctor, have a CPK checked, and ask for a trial on pravachol. The doc would have to recheck your cholesterol to see if it was doing the job. There also are newer classes of lipid meds coming out. Good cardiologists, internists, and family practioners can advise well on these drugs.

OnTheRoad or AtTheBeach stonecrd's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Ridley Noah RS, Scott CR1 Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If your having any problems make sure your getting routine (qtrly) blood tests, especially for Liver function and creatine. I have rotated through Lipitor, Lescol and now take Pravachol. With Lipitor I also had calf muscle problems (general soreness) and elevated liver enzymes. With Pravachol I've got good reduction in chol and no side effects. Everyone reacts differently but there are enough options that you should be able to find something that works without ADRs.

fmw
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been a heart patient since my heart attack in 1988. My bypass occurred in 2000. I think I've taken every statin drug except Lipitor at one time or another. The reason I had to change brands was that I got not only tired in the muscles but sometimes painful. One drug actually put me down for a day. I could hardly move. The thing to do is to talk to the cardiologist about your symptoms. He may not know which statin is ideal for you but he'll likely try another one to see how it goes. They are all a little different from one another. The only downside to these experiements is that you will need to go for blood work after each change. The statin I take now has been working well for me for three years. Not a single symptom. It took a while to find it but I'm glad we did. Good luck.

My Bikes
    Cannondale T2000, Specialized FSR Induro Comp, Specialized cross bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rossy: Stop taking Lipitor immediately. I was taking Gemfibrozil with similar side effects. Later I read on-line the following:

“If you experience any of the following serious side effects, stop taking gemfibrozil and seek emergency medical attention or contact your doctor immediately:”

Two phrases just jump out at you, “seek emergency medical attention” and “contact your doctor immediately”. Lipitor has the very same warning with similar symptoms. Listen to the short fast side effect list from the TV ads also. “Serious side effects are muscle pain or weakness.”

Contact your doctor. There are other cholesterol lowering drugs available. I am not in any way involved in the medical profession, but when my health is being threatened it is time to take action. For me the major side effects took a couple of weeks to go away though I don’t know if they are all gone 2 years later.

Phil

Rossy
    My Bikes
    Trek 2300/Schwinn MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the feedback, I am off the stuff for a week or two to see how I feel, will go back to the quack thereafter and see what he recommends.

Cheers
    Rossy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fmw
    I've been a heart patient since my heart attack in 1988. My bypass occurred in 2000. I think I've taken every statin drug except Lipitor at one time or another. The reason I had to change brands was that I got not only tired in the muscles but sometimes painful. One drug actually put me down for a day. I could hardly move. The thing to do is to talk to the cardiologist about your symptoms. He may not know which statin is ideal for you but he'll likely try another one to see how it goes. They are all a little different from one another. The only downside to these experiements is that you will need to go for blood work after each change. The statin I take now has been working well for me for three years. Not a single symptom. It took a while to find it but I'm glad we did. Good luck.
    I've tried Lipitor, Zocor and then Crestor. All gave me BIG muscle pains within a week. I'm 56, in great shape, not overweight but very high cholesterol and bad ratios overall. So FMW, what is working for you?

Thanks,
    Steve

My Bikes
    1984 Peugeot P8; 2006 Trek 5200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Talk about timing, I was in for a complete physical last week and got the blood work back today. My doctor has prescribed Lipitor as my cholesterol is approaching high. This thread has given me some further questions to ask. I will be seeing the Doc next week when I go in for a full stress test.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Consumer Reports On Health Newsletter Vol 17 No. 8 suggest the minimum dosage of Lipitor, 10 mg, may be too much for some people. I was experiencing some joint discomfort on 10mg Lipitor. After reading the article I starting cutting the pills in half with a razor blade and joint discomfort is gone, plus last blood test two weeks ago my serum levels were just fine. I haven't told the Doc, I just take the prescription from her and only order half of what she prescribes.

Works for me, of course your actual mileage may vary.

chicharron
    I recently stopped taking Lipitor, and am attempting to keep my chloresterol level down through diet and exersize ( with the doctors permission and consult) we will see what the results are after my next physical checkup.

Rossy
    My Bikes
    Trek 2300/Schwinn MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am also giving diet and exercise a go, Doc says I should try for a couple of months and retest, if cholesterol goes up she wants me back on Lipitor.

Good luck

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If diet and excercise works, by all means, it's the way to go. However for many folks who's cholesterol is genetic it seems to have very limited results. It doesn't help that the medical establishment lowers the acceptable number almost every year...but that's an argument for another day.

I'm now going to try Zetia. Anyone have any experience with that?

Steve

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't necessarily disagree with what everybody has been saying, but I do question it. I have heard that the muscle fatigue caused by Lipitor is a serious, disabling condition. If you don't mind me asking, how severe is your tiredness? Are you practically unable to get out of bed?

If you have just started training, and your muscles are getting tired, is there at least a chance that the unaccustomed exercize is causing the tiredness? You are supposed to feel tired after a bike ride. If you do not feel tired, you should either ride harder or ride longer. The tired feeling should go away, even if you are still a little stiff or sore.

I'm glad you are checking with your doctor, since obviously high cholesterol is serious. Like you, I would hate to quit taking my Lipitor without first discussing it with my doctor.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for asking. I tried Lipitor twice because I really wanted it to work. Both times after three days I felt like I had been pummeled with a ball bat. I could walk, but felt horrible all over.
    Zocor was similar but just a little less pain after three-four days.
    In both cased the dosage was 20mg.

Crestor was only 10mg. and while generally not as effective as the other two, is accepted more readily without side effects...or so said the doctor. I was OK for about ten days but then the same side effects returned. They were milder but still the same feeling. The doctor just suggested I throw in the towel at that point.

Several people have mentioned Zetia to me so now I guess we'll give that a try.

In the meantime my wife has me on eveything imaginable with Oat Bran in it. And while a hard core diet of Oat Bran, Flax seed and other food items do seem to have a positive effect in some people, it's a tough way to eat for the next twenty plus years of your life. By the way the jury is still out on Omega 3 Fish oil tablets....seems like eating fish does have some benificial effects but the pills themselves....not so much.

And who the heck can watch OLN and SPEED without butter on their popcorn?

Steve