Roadie
    My Bikes
    kestrel
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

pulling the plugs

while on my bi weekly 42 mile commute, during a brief yet significant moment I experienced a feeling that may be described as "detachment" - just me and the bike with no relation to the physical environment and without the "need" for any measure of personal performance. I was very happy with the idea that I could actually ride and enjoy physical exertion without wondering or even being the least concerned about how fast I am going or what my cadence is. the wind was blowing through my ears and even the moderate head wind was of no consequence in fact it became a source of empowerment.

today after the ride i was half tempted to pull the ol' cycle comp off with all its incongruous wiring and return to the days where feelings ruled the day. If i wasn't so tight ass about the $40 i panned out to but it, the thing would have been off today.

Would you have the guts to chuck your source of all valuable info such as miles per ride, miles per annum, avg velocity, calories, etc. etc.?

My Bikes
    Actual 10-speed Olmo road, Bianchi BUSS, Kona A-Ha, Schwinn Moab 2 rain bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just put a piece of tape over my computer, and then just take it off once a week to check.

The Improbable Bulk Little Darwin's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Many
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only time I find my computer of extreme value during a ride is when I am doing a trail, and going out and back. If I don't set an approximate goal, I am likely to go out further and not have the energy to return in a fun way. With a distance goal, even if I am feeling good at the point I wanted to turn around, I only add a limited distance, and I usually feel it on the way back anyway.

Otherwise, I do like having real numbers to look at after a ride to determine the amount of improvement. I like the thought of taping over the display, so that I don't worry about it during the ride... Maybe I'll just rotate it below the bars and save the tape.
    Slow Ride Cyclists of NEPA

People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
    - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Senior Curmudgeon
    My Bikes
    Electra Townie 1-speed with basket & fenders
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've never used a computer on my bike (surprise, surprise ). I find myself involved enough with the passing terrain, people I encounter, road hazards, pedal cadence, exertion, traffic, bike noises, smells, and weather that I don't care if I have additional data available. I may try one sometime, and may like it, but as yet, I'm a bike-computer virgin .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by berts
    today after the ride i was half tempted to pull the ol' cycle comp off with all its incongruous wiring and return to the days where feelings ruled the day. Would you have the guts to chuck your source of all valuable info such as miles per ride, miles per annum, avg velocity, calories, etc. etc.?
    Been riding 20 yrs as an adult. Dumped my computers about 5 yrs ago. I rode many years checking cadence, HR, avg spd, max spd, monthly mileage, etc. I finally came to the conclusion that my involvement in cycling was NOT about statistics, personal bests, training, etc. I still ride a minimum of 6 - 8 hours most weeks (75 - 100 mi). I ride at least one century per year just to add some incentive for a month of longer rides. This year I was motivated early this year (by the challenge of a younger collegue) and did my century in May.

Beauty of this sport is that it can be adapted for people's life needs and those needs can change over the years without any decrease in the pure enjoyment of powering along on two wheels.

Send email to dnvrfox@aol.com for new group
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am totally pi**ed because the computer on my Lemod just broke, and I haven't fixed it yet - I think all it may need is a new battery, but I hate the logic sequences of this particular computer - drives me nuts.

So, would I just take it off and chuck it?

I will have to give it some thought. I do like to know how far I am out, and how far from one place to the nexr. I don't give a hoot about average speed or how fast I went, except now that I am sort of partially disabled it does assist me in seeing my improvement.

Hey, FarHorizon - I think you and I are from totally different planets, even though we both live in the Denver area. Or else our radio frequencies keep jamming each other!

Which planet were you born on?
    Almost gone from the 50+ forum. - Email me at dnvrfox@aol.com for another fun new group of 50+ folks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmm, well I like to have a computer. It can be encouraging when it tells me that I am riding further or faster than I thought, and it can provide a reality check when I start to plan my assault on the Tour de France.

Hey, and a painless way of improving your performance is just to increase the wheel circumference.

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I LOVE my computer. To me, it was the neatest innovation I discovered when I returned to biking. Mine is pretty simple, but I already know that because it tells me how many miles i've cycled, I often will push myself to put a few more miles on rather than succumb to my fatigue. If I'm at 13.2, for instance, I'll make sure I do at least 15 miles. Without the computer, I would have stopped when I thought I was too tired.
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I suppose it depends on the type of riding you class as your main form. I still participate in some pretty tough events and for those I have to be fit. I do occasionally partake of a slow ride, but in general most of my rides are taken at a pace that most people would say is Hard. I don't class it as that, but when I do go out I want to know how hard I have worked. The Heart monitor is obvious, but the computer is a godsend. Last week we did a ride, and the legs felt sluugish, heart rate was up, breathing was laboured until a quick check on the computer showed me the reason for feeling like that. We were steaming along, and all the averages were high-- Higher than all the rides this year.
    Then it will go the other way, and the ride feels comfortable, you can do an extra 10 miles and off you go. Quick check on the computer often shows that we have been slow on that ride, and that is why we can go the extra 10.

One of these days I will be happy just to get out on the bike, and that is when I will not be replacing the batteries in the computer or buying a new one when it breaks. In the meantime I want to know the reason why I am sweating so much and why I can't pull middle ring up that hill.

Send email to dnvrfox@aol.com for new group
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredmertz51
    I just put a piece of tape over my computer, and then just take it off once a week to check.

Hmm!

To me, that is like putting a condom on, and taking it off once a week, "just to check."
    Almost gone from the 50+ forum. - Email me at dnvrfox@aol.com for another fun new group of 50+ folks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox
    Hmm!

To me, that is like putting a condom on, and taking it off once a week, "just to check."
    Double Hmmm!

... and precisely what are you checking?

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just depends on what your after from riding. I can see and appreciate the notion of just riding with the wind!!

However, I'm a numbers freak and even just purchased an altimeter. I like to know the per cent grades of the climbs I'm doing, amount of climbing I've done for the day, etc. However, I don't watch anything but cadence, per cent grade and sometimes distance during a ride but I use all the other information to help assess my fitness. It's been very rewarding seeing the numbers continue to improve over my 4 years of riding. By keeping the numbers, it's easy to see progress or backsliding monitoring similar routes and rides from each year.

I've taken the data and charted graphs of miles per month for each year and so far I've always ridden more miles in a month than that month for the previous year. You can also determine what your overall mph is for the year by looking at total miles versus time, etc.

Again, just depends on what you're after!

By the way, the steepest climb I've measured this year has been 21%...It wasn't too long but long enough to really hurt!!!

Roadie
    My Bikes
    kestrel
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    did my second biweekly 40 miler today. this time i didn't use the computer the whole ride. just listened to my body, enjoyed the scenery and rolled along.
    I can't describe the ride in terms of cadence, speed, altitude, etc (although I have a pretty accurate idea, having been over this course more than once), however I could describe it as being a very enjoyable and rewarding ride and that I felt pretty good (8 on a scale of 1-10).
    One thing for sure is that without the computer I was much more in touch with my physical and mental states and less boggled with numbers like how fast am I going. This kind of riding really seems to suit my character - so it looks like so long to the computer, I gave it a chance, but I'm on my way back to the old school. The only quantitative measure of my physical state will be made during satuday training rides with the group where everybody and his sister has a computer and in races.

My Bikes
    2005 Fuji Monterey Comfort/Hybrids
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've enjoyed having the computer on my bicycle, it's a "very simple" unit, mainly I like to know how far I've gone and what my total mileage is. LOL, it's also fun to check out how fast a bicycle can go with a serious downhill run! I'm strictly a rec. rider, not into training and on some of the bigger hills, I'm glad I "can't" check my heartbeat! :O My wife has no use for a computer at all, she just want's to do "easy spinning" and enjoy being outside, (she works 4-5 12 hrs. days in a office). The only reason I'd "upgrade" would be to get the "wireless" version of the $20 computer I've got now!
    BJ & Jo Ondo
    Colorado Springs, CO.
    2005 Fuji Monterey Comfort/Hybrid
    "We ride just for the FUN of it"!
    http://bj-joondo.tripod.com/bicycle.htm

My Bikes
    Fuji Roubaix, Trek 7200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox
    Hmm!

Hope that thing comes off more than once a week.
    You're east of East St. Louis
    And the wind is making speeches.