User Tag List

My Bikes
    Gary Fisher Superfly, Bianchi Axis, Trek Madone 5.5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

B17 - Where do I get Proofhide

My B17 came from Nashbar but there is no Proofhide with it. Should I put it on anyway and ride until I can get some or wait until I apply a coat? Where do I get it?
    ---------------------
    Mike Wendland
    See my bike blog: MichiganBiking.org and MichiganderBikeTour.com
    Follow me on Twitter @michiganbiking and @michigandermike
    Bikes: '09 Gary Fisher Superfly, '08 Trek Madone 5.5, '05 Bianchi Axis

Embrace the weirdness. primaryreality's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Motobecane
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It doesn't come with the saddle, you have to purchase it separately. Nashbar has it, a tin is $7.95.

I don't think it will hurt your Brooks to be ridden on without Proofide for the few days it will take to get it, unless you're planning to be riding in the rain.

The Improbable Bulk Little Darwin's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Many
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    An LBS should have it if they carry Brooks saddles, and I agree that you shouldn't worry about riding, just use it when you get it.

It is basically a mixture of waxes and oils for protection of the saddle. A few rides with it should be no more harmful than the shipping, and sitting on a rack at the LBS.
    Slow Ride Cyclists of NEPA

People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
    - Ralph Waldo Emerson

My Bikes
    Cannondale Saeco CAD-3, Surly Cross Check
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pcmike
    My B17 came from Nashbar but there is no Proofhide with it. Should I put it on anyway and ride until I can get some or wait until I apply a coat? Where do I get it?
    I bought my B-17 from Nashbar and it came in a box with a small can of Proofhide and a wrench for adjustments.

The Improbable Bulk Little Darwin's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Many
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I looked, they offered either the saddle alone, or as a kit with the wrench & Proofide. In general it is a seperate purchase most times.
    Slow Ride Cyclists of NEPA

People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
    - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Grant Petersen at Rivendell is a Brooks nut, and he's written quite a bit on care and feeding of leather saddles. Proofhide (which he sells at www.rivbike.com, if you strike out everywhere else) should be used only once or twice a year, no more. He advises against gooping it on heavily--a light coat on top and maybe a slightly heavier one on the bottom (to deflect spray if you don't have fenders) is plenty.
    Riding without it won't hurt anything, certainly not for the short time it will take you to find some. I have three B-17s and a Pro, and the Pro got NOTHING on it for the first six or eight years--I got it at a going-out-of-business sale for a couple of bucks and I didn't know Proofhide existed. Even here in the desert (Reno), it did fine. Since I found out you're supposed to treat them, I've been using Proofhide lightly in spring and, if I think of it, in fall. No probs in four to 12 years, depending on the saddle.