rck
    My Bikes
    cannondale 400st, dean el diente, specialized hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

observations and gen. questions

After having enjoyed viewing this forum for the last couple of months I decided to join in. This is notable only in the fact that the last thing I joined was in 1969-the us army. I was motivated primarily so that I could add my name to the growing list of those riding "lookinup's" age on sept. 3. However, now that I am here I would like to ask if anyone can answer some basic questions about biking.
    1)How, against all logic, did the wind manage to stay in my face for all of my 42 mile loop ride this
    morning? This in spite of my riding n,s,e,w and all directions in between.

2)How did I manage to do the whole ride continously riding uphill (think m.c.escher) without ever
    once riding down? Thusly defying all laws of gravity.

3)Why is it that mother nature, the only woman who ever calls me anymore, only calls me at the at
    bottom of a hill I've just started to climb? Why can't she call at the top of a hill I've just climbed?

4) Why is it that the more I know the less I know?

Thanks to any and all who can answer the above questions. rck

In Memory of One Cool Cat Blackberry's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Lemond Victoire, Cannondale.Mountain Bike, two 1980s lugged steel Treks, ancient 1980-something Giant mountain bike converted into a slick tired commuter with mustache handlebars, 1960-something Raleigh Sports
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When you find the answer to any of the above let me know. With regard to question 4) I've heard it said that an expert is someone who knows more and more about less and less until he knows everything about nothing.
    Dead last finish is better than did not finish and infinitely better than did not start.

The Improbable Bulk Little Darwin's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Many
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ride on a rail to trail ride between Jim Thorpe and White Haven PA. It is supposed to be slightly up hill going from Jim Thorpe to White Haven. I concur, because if I try to coast, I don't keep going, of course it has the same characteristic on the way back.

I always start at the Jim Thorpe side to try to get the down hill assist on the return.

A couple of weeks ago I started out into a stiff head wind and thought to myself "good, I will have a nice tail wind on the way back"... but, it didn't seem to happen.

My hypothesis is that the trail is spring loaded on both ends, and operates a bellows as you ride. In effect you end up going up hill each direction, and also pump the bellows which blows air into your face.

Its the only thing I can come up with that explains the phenomenon.

Of course, even though it feels that way, I love to ride it... It will not beat me!

Slow Ride Cyclists of NEPA

People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
    - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1)How, against all logic, did the wind manage to stay in my face for all of my 42 mile loop ride this
    Hate to tell you the easy answer to this but it will come as no surprise that if you ride backward the wind will be in your face pushing you backwards - ergo, your problem is sovled.

2)How did I manage to do the whole ride continously riding uphill (think m.c.escher) without ever
    As regards going uphill in both directions, you probably haven't examined a globe carefully lately.

If you will hold the globe so that the end point of your ride is at the top of the globe, you will notice it is entirely uphill from your starting point to your end, and as the globe turns, by the time you get to your endpoint, it is now uphill all the way back.

Easily solved!
    Last edited by DnvrFox; 08-13-05 at 06:59 PM.
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

Senior Curmudgeon
    My Bikes
    Electra Townie 1-speed with basket & fenders
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For question #3, Mother's trying to remind you to jettison excess weight before climbing

Roadie
    My Bikes
    kestrel
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    anyone coming out of the army should have given up looking for logic.
    accept things the way they are .
    embrace the hardships and reap the scraps of reward

My Bikes
    Santana, Trek, Specialized
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Having joined the Army in Sept. of 69 myself maybe I can help.

1. The wind used the same physics for non-smokers. You are always downwind from the smoke, whether it is cigarette, cigar or campfire smoke.

2. I have always said that hills build character. This is a good thing.

3. When you get a bit older mother nature will be calling you at the top and the bottom (and in between). Something for you to look forward to.

4. Now you know even less so there is room for more.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You are riding too fast- That 10mph headwind is actually a tailwind but as you are riding at 20mph you have the 10mph headwind.

Your saddle is too low, so if you raise it by 6" your body attitude will correct this problem. If it is not possible to raise the saddle then drop the handlebars.

3)Why is it that mother nature, the only woman who ever calls me anymore, only calls me at the at
    bottom of a hill I've just started to climb? Why can't she call at the top of a hill I've just climbed?

You ought to get to know more women, as Mother Nature is not the only one that is awkward.

4) Why is it that the more I know the less I know?

The brain can only take in so many facts, so get out and ride more often the only thing you will think about is Why does my backside hurt so much? Why is that tyre hissing at me? and Whats the quickest way home?

My Bikes
    Trek 520 and Trek Madone 5.2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chuckle! Chuckle! Thanks for the laugh!

Trek Madone 5.2 wsd

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad to see I'm not the only one pondering these unponderables! Let's ride!
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

Berry Pie..the Holy Grail GrannyGear's Avatar
    Weaving thru the cowpud outside Modesto CA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hills are like pregnancy and childbirth...though most of us (roesslk if you're out there--apologies) haven't experienced it personally. It hurts one hell of a lot while doing it, you blame all your friends/partners who got you into it, but when its done--then you're proud of yourself and forget the pain, mucus, slow creeping time, etc. In fact, you're so relieved and in such a fuzzy state of euphoria, that you start fooling around and find yourself out there climbing some damned hill again and the whole "cycle" (hehe) starts again.

Like other women, our inability to learn from experience and take precautions has created very large families of riding experiences we love-- sometimes only after they're over.

So, yes, Digital Gee......let's go ride.
    Last edited by GrannyGear; 08-14-05 at 11:17 AM.

rck
    My Bikes
    cannondale 400st, dean el diente, specialized hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that all of the above responses (and to any that might follow) do a good job of illustrating why I enjoy this forum. I find it reassuring that you can find a group of people who take an activity that they do seriously and view it (at least on occasion) less than seriously. I will keep the replies in mind as I go out on this afternoons ride (uphill and into the wind!) and I'll try not to fall off my bike laughing.
    P.S. I hear the phone ringing. It must be mother nature calling. I'll answer now before I go for my ride.
    rck