Roadie
    My Bikes
    kestrel
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Run to ride

this mornin I slipped on my ol runnin gear which has been collecting dust for half a year: shorts, tank top, socks, and shoes - yep that simple - and went out for a 5 km (ca. 3 miles). it took about 25 min and i really was hurtin part of the way. To the point - I believe that running is good for riding in several aspects:
    1. it gives the body, soul and mind a break from cycling (which is closest to our hearts)
    2. it develops aerobic potential like nothin else i know (i start breathin hard right off and keep doin it for the entire run).
    3. it develops a different muscle set including more upper body as well as different leg muscles which in my humble opinion has a positive effect on cycling (at least at the recreational level)
    4. after a run i look forward with more enthusiasm to the next ride.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by berts
    this mornin I slipped on my ol runnin gear which has been collecting dust for half a year: shorts, tank top, socks, and shoes - yep that simple - and went out for a 5 km (ca. 3 miles). it took about 25 min and i really was hurtin part of the way. To the point - I believe that running is good for riding in several aspects:
    1. it gives the body, soul and mind a break from cycling (which is closest to our hearts)
    2. it develops aerobic potential like nothin else i know (i start breathin hard right off and keep doin it for the entire run).
    3. it develops a different muscle set including more upper body as well as different leg muscles which in my humble opinion has a positive effect on cycling (at least at the recreational level)
    4. after a run i look forward with more enthusiasm to the next ride.
    If I ever see a jogger smiling, then I might think about staying away from running even longer. I usedt o run,about 40 years ago, but shot knees from 100miles a week training in plimpsoles (Pumps?) on tarmac to be able to run 15miles crosscountry events mean that I prefer to get worn out by more pleasant means.

Roadie
    My Bikes
    kestrel
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam
    If I ever see a jogger smiling, then I might think about staying away from running even longer. I usedt o run,about 40 years ago, but shot knees from 100miles a week training in plimpsoles (Pumps?) on tarmac to be able to run 15miles crosscountry events mean that I prefer to get worn out by more pleasant means.
    100 miles/week??? that's more than i do on my bike.
    don't know what plimpsoles or pumps are but i think i am beginning to form a more descriptive image of you (superman?).

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    100 miles/week??? that's more than i do on my bike.
    don't know what plimpsoles or pumps are but i think i am beginning to form a more descriptive image of you (superman?).
    Plimpsoles/pumps are/were the basic sport footwear before trainers became the style. No cushioning on the very thin sole to give protection to the legs or joints and no rigidity to the sole to protect the feet. Superfit-- No. But 40 years ago I could be classed one of those that was Fit. Marriage, career,mortgage and family meant that I did not have the time to keep fit. I now have the time to try to retain the little bit of fitness that remains, and it does take time to retain what I have left.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    this mornin I slipped on my ol runnin gear which has been collecting dust for half a year: shorts, tank top, socks, and shoes - yep that simple - and went out for a 5 km (ca. 3 miles). it took about 25 min and i really was hurtin part of the way. To the point - I believe that running is good for riding in several aspects
    I agree. Last week I added a day of running as crosstraining. Because it's so beastly hot here, I did it in the gym on the treadmill, which allowed me to easily monitor speed and heartrate. I've come to the conclusion that cycling is great, and cycling is fun, cycling is mostly less likely to cause injury (barring an accident), but almost* nothing beats running for getting an intense aerobic workout in a short time.

Thanks heavens for modern running shoes, though.

Dagna

*I put in 'almost' because of things like Alpe d'Huez

My Bikes
    mountain bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    this mornin I slipped on my ol runnin gear which has been collecting dust for half a year: shorts, tank top, socks, and shoes - yep that simple - and went out for a 5 km (ca. 3 miles). it took about 25 min and i really was hurtin part of the way
    A 5K is actually 3.1 miles and if you did it in 25 minutes and you're over 50 and haven't been running for a while, I would say that you did a pretty quick 5K. I'm 54 and I can barely break 25 minutes on a good day and when I do my right knee miniscus pays a price for it.
    You're correct about running...there's nothing that gives me the aerobic workout like a good run.
    Peter