User Tag List

My Bikes
    Gary Fisher Superfly, Bianchi Axis, Trek Madone 5.5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

B-17 Saddle: First impressions

I've just installed the B-17 Champion saddle from Brooks on my Bianchi Axis. After the first 30 miles, I'm very surprised at the comfort level.
    It's great.
    First, it is indeed hard. And slippery.
    I've had to adjust it three times, front and back and then tilt.
    I think I have it about right, tilted ever so slightly up at the horn, which helps me stay seated in the proper alignment on the saddle.
    I did 15 miles yesterday and 15 today and I think it can stay on for the longer rides I plan later this week.
    It actually seems more comfortable than the standard saddle that came with my Axis.
    If this indeed improves with use, I'm ordering B-17s for my other bikes.
    (BTW... I am a Clydesdale... 5'11" and 235)
    ---------------------
    Mike Wendland
    See my bike blog: MichiganBiking.org and MichiganderBikeTour.com
    Follow me on Twitter @michiganbiking and @michigandermike
    Bikes: '09 Gary Fisher Superfly, '08 Trek Madone 5.5, '05 Bianchi Axis

My Bikes
    Cannondale Saeco CAD-3, Surly Cross Check
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pcmike
    I've just installed the B-17 Champion saddle from Brooks on my Bianchi Axis. After the first 30 miles, I'm very surprised at the comfort level.
    It's great.
    First, it is indeed hard. And slippery.
    I've had to adjust it three times, front and back and then tilt.
    I think I have it about right, tilted ever so slightly up at the horn, which helps me stay seated in the proper alignment on the saddle.
    I did 15 miles yesterday and 15 today and I think it can stay on for the longer rides I plan later this week.
    It actually seems more comfortable than the standard saddle that came with my Axis.
    If this indeed improves with use, I'm ordering B-17s for my other bikes.
    (BTW... I am a Clydesdale... 5'11" and 235)
    I had the same experience when I put a B-17 on my Fuji Touring bike. Comfortable from the start.

My Bikes
    04 Trek 2100, Ultegra, Koobi,Syntace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a similar experience. My B17 was comfortable right out of the box. 800 miles later, it just gets better. I never think about the saddle,... probably the greatest compliment one can give. I'm a Brooks devotee now.

My Bikes
    More than a few.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It'll get better! Mine got real real wet on the day of our tour from Burlington VT to Bar Harbor and back, in July. Started sagging on me and I didn't have the tool along to adjust. It was bugging me and on day four I stopped at a bike shop to put a regular saddle on and send the B17 home. I put a normal saddle on, took it for a spin and put that Brooks right back on again. Even the Brooks out of adjustment was worlds more comfy than the other. Borrowed a 13mm (if I remember right) wrench (which isn't really the size) and got the B17 back into shape.

I don't belong on this forum yet but thought I'd share.

You can see our tour journals HERE .

Cheers,

Ron
    Wasatch Mountain Range

My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Brooks saddles are best.
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

What's the speed of dark?
    My Bikes
    Madone 5.9 SL with Brooks Team Pro Saddle
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Brooks Team Pro and it was more comfortable out of the box than any other seat I have ever used. I've done 3 centuries in the last month riding, with others that don't use Brooks saddles. Evey one of them complained of pain in their arse... I didn't. Look cool with a sleek Itailian seat or feel cool with a Brooks.
    Last edited by RabidCyclist; 08-28-05 at 08:45 PM.

My Bikes
    Trek 7200, Lashout Electric Bike, Raleigh Talon
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm thinking about ordering a Brooks but don't know where to begin. I posted in the Women's Forum but I'm interested in all opinions about how to decide which Brooks to get. I'll be putting it on my commuter -- right now, a full suspension mountain bike; later, my Trek 7200 hybrid (with front suspension.) Both have flat bars and an upright position. I don't race or go on centuries (makes me just to think of that right now) but my commute is 17 miles each way and I have yet to be comfortable on my saddle. And I would like to do some longer rides eventually.

Thanks!

My Bikes
    Bianchi Axis cyclocross / Kona Mokumoku X-country
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Funny thing. I just did the same thing for my B. Axis. Unfortunately, I returned the B-17 and am happy with the original seat after I fooled around with fore/aft, height, etc adjustment. I put about 120 miles on the Brooks and man, it totally numbed my whole crotch area. It's a beautiful seat but I guess it's just not for me.

My Bikes
    Gary Fisher Superfly, Bianchi Axis, Trek Madone 5.5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is weird, Rooker. I'm close to 200 miles now and wish I had the B-17 long before. It's the most comfortable saddle I've ever had. Sorry your experience isn't so good.
    There is no soreness now at all for me. Period. I used to have to stand up or get off the bike after about every 12 miles or so. No more.
    ---------------------
    Mike Wendland
    See my bike blog: MichiganBiking.org and MichiganderBikeTour.com
    Follow me on Twitter @michiganbiking and @michigandermike
    Bikes: '09 Gary Fisher Superfly, '08 Trek Madone 5.5, '05 Bianchi Axis

My Bikes
    04 Trek 2100, Ultegra, Koobi,Syntace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Longhorn,

Contact Bill at Wallingford and he'll help you. Also, if you buy from them you get a six month return policy, so you can't lose. They can offer that because they are that confident that you will love the Brooks.

My Bikes
    Trek 7200, Lashout Electric Bike, Raleigh Talon
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, luv!

Actually, I went ahead and ordered the Champion Flyer "S" in Honey from Wallingford and got it today. It is gorgeous! I have company right now so I haven't been able to put the Proofide on, install it, and try it out and I have activities all day tomorrow but that's the plan first thing Friday. I can't wait!

My Bikes
    Dawes Double Blue, Vision R-42 SWB, Jamis ???, Merckx Elite
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess I'm one of the few who isn't in love with the B-17. For me, the Professional is much more comfortable. The B-17 also seems to sag much more quickly than the Pro.

My Bikes
    Schwinn Rocket 88, Schwinn Fastback, Cannondale Road Tandem, GT Timberline rigid steel mtb
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Palmer
    I guess I'm one of the few who isn't in love with the B-17. For me, the Professional is much more comfortable. The B-17 also seems to sag much more quickly than the Pro.
    I've got a B17 and a Pro. The B17 isn't necessarily less comfortable but I do like the fit of the Pro much better.

Hiracer
    My Bikes
    Bacchetta Aero, Bacchetta Strada, Diamondback MTB, Lemond Sarthe DF
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The swift was my fourth saddle, the others being various conventional ones. Don't have that many miles on it yet, but it's the most comfortable even right out of the box. It's reall slippery, but that seems to be decreasing every ride. Found I need to raise the saddle, as that seems to help from sliding forward off the saddle.

Honey color looks great with my retro Lemond Sarthe (orange steel).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I was a boy, I had a Cinelli seat that I thought was really comfee. I was plastic with leather - zero padding. My brother bought a Raleigh Pro and it had the cool seat with the gigantic hammered out copper rivets and all. It was the most uncomfortable seat I have ever ridden. Not trusting my experiences, I bought a Ideale saddle for one of my next bikes. It really "looked" good, had alloy rails and exposed rivets and was only 10 ounces heavier than other racing saddles of the day - a premium leather saddle. But the leather was saturated with oil and I eventually had to buy this plastic shower cap like thing to put between me and anything that I did not want to leave a saddle shaped oily brown stain on. Eventually the chamois in my bike shorts got sort of permanently greasy brown from the oil so I chucked the saddle in disgust and sold it with another bike that I was getting rid of. In my life, plastic and leather covered foam has been very good to me. My prostate thanks me every day.