Senior Curmudgeon
    My Bikes
    Electra Townie 1-speed with basket & fenders
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How to develop self-control?

Since I've come back to cycling this year, I've began to notice the plethora of great bicycle deals that were previously off my radar screen. Since buying a new Electra Townie (since e-Bayed), and a new Kona Dew (since Boomer-Biked), I"ve been attracted to used bikes for their intrensic value. So far, I've bought a used Diamondback road bike (since e-Bayed), a used Trek MTB (stripped for parts), a used Panasonic 10-speed (which I plan to turn into a fix), a used Campy race bike (whoo-whoo!), and today I found a used Schwinn MTB for $10. The Schwinn has nice "V" brakes, nice cranks, and is clean. I forsee this trend continuing...

So, my question is: How many bikes are too many, and how does one resist the lure of a great deal? My stable has already exceeded the storage capacity of my front porch, and I've now got wheels, frames, and bikes stacked along the side of the house. I could clean out my garage and make that a shop/storage area, but sooner or later, a better deal will come along, and I'll have exceeded capacity again.

Is a "one of each type" plan a reasonable option, or should I just binge, limited only by the tolerance of my better half? I have the luxury of being able to spend about an hour and a half each day riding, so it is likely that the bikes will see use. I also enjoy the variety and have now obtained the tools I need to repair and modify the bikes I get.

How have youse gals and guys dealt with such? Thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Learn meditation and read "he Message of a Master" by John McDonald (New World Library). All will soon be as it should. BK

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You say that you have exceeded the storage capacity of your porch; I assume that means that your bedrooms, garage and living room are already full of bikes...it may be time to get a contractor out to look at expanding your house. Clearly you need more room.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of my problems is that I cannot stand seeing a good bike go to waste. I live in a cul de sac that has about 10 kids in it. All have bikes, and all of them get outgrown and damaged on a frequent basis. I currently have 5 bikes in my family, that have to be maintained and around 12 in the road belonging to the kids that regularly need maintenance. I have 5 ridable bikes and 6 tucked away in the shed for Spares. I was recently given 3 bikes that if I did not have, were going to be scrapped. Two needed new tyres and tubes, and one needed a saddle. These were brought into ridable condition from the spares and are now with my neighbours getting used, abused, and enjoyed. Problem is, I now have their old bikes in the shed, waiting for me to bring them back into condition, so that the younger kids will have bikes of more their size.

I may not have any room left for storing dead and dying bikes, but in my road I have the fittest set of youngsters in the area. All I need now is a good road bike that is suitable to build up the 15 year old Bianchi and the ultra lightweight racing bike I was given last year.

Senior Curmudgeon
    My Bikes
    Electra Townie 1-speed with basket & fenders
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam
    One of my problems is that I cannot stand seeing a good bike go to waste...
    Anen, brother! When I see a fine bike going to waste, my preservationist instincts take over. My better half finally applied the brakes on my collecting jones. Three is to be my limit. If a fourth comes in (for anything other than a temporary stay), something must go. I've a LBS close to a college campus where students are constantly in need of parts & bikes. I've taken to rolling in my leftovers and donating to the shop with instructions to pass on the freebie to a needy student. Enhances both the bike shop's reputation and my karma!

Berry Pie..the Holy Grail GrannyGear's Avatar
    Weaving thru the cowpud outside Modesto CA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problem is that bikes don't really "wear out" in non-rusty climes unless you are a crazed gonzo suicidal pot hole basher....or have the thighs of a tyrannosaur. Soooo, acquisition is seldom a need so much as the expression of a passion/lust/compulsion which, if bottled up, is unhealthy. Like no sex. Wives don't understand the thrill of combing e-bay for that old but perfect Pinarello, or relishing the promise of carbon fiber. Cycling is, in some ways sadly, about equipment. The wife should just be glad its not racing yachts we're into.

I wonder if the recliner crowd gets hyped on classic or cutting edge chairs?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam
    One of my problems is that I cannot stand seeing a good bike go to waste. I live in a cul de sac that has about 10 kids in it. All have bikes, and all of them get outgrown and damaged on a frequent basis. I currently have 5 bikes in my family, that have to be maintained and around 12 in the road belonging to the kids that regularly need maintenance. I have 5 ridable bikes and 6 tucked away in the shed for Spares. I was recently given 3 bikes that if I did not have, were going to be scrapped. Two needed new tyres and tubes, and one needed a saddle. These were brought into ridable condition from the spares and are now with my neighbours getting used, abused, and enjoyed. Problem is, I now have their old bikes in the shed, waiting for me to bring them back into condition, so that the younger kids will have bikes of more their size.

I may not have any room left for storing dead and dying bikes, but in my road I have the fittest set of youngsters in the area. All I need now is a good road bike that is suitable to build up the 15 year old Bianchi and the ultra lightweight racing bike I was given last year.
    I wish you were my dad. Or at least my neighbor in the cul-de-sac. It's cool how you and FarHorizon recycle great old bikes.