Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Blue Ridge Extreme--Wish Me Luck

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-05, 05:10 PM
In Memory of One Cool Cat

Bikes: Lemond Victoire, Cannondale.Mountain Bike, two 1980s lugged steel Treks, ancient 1980-something Giant mountain bike converted into a slick tired commuter with mustache handlebars, 1960-something Raleigh Sports

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

OK, I've signed up for the Blue Ridge Extreme bike ride next Sunday out of Afton, Va. There are three options: a 100 mile ride; a 62 mile ride; and a 31 mile ride.

I'm going for the 62. The key element to the metric century is that there are over 6600 feet of vertical climb (mostly one big hill). Anyway, it should be a challenge--and fun.

If you're interested in the ride, let me know. You can sign up here:

https://www.blueridgeextreme.com/
Old 08-21-05, 07:55 PM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good luck! Be sure to let us know how it went...

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 08-21-05, 08:19 PM
Burnt Orange Blood

Bikes: Trek 7200, Lashout Electric Bike, Raleigh Talon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It sounds like a beautiful ride! I drove the Parkway in 1994 from Asheville to Roanoke, if I remember correctly, camping in a park along with the way with my four kids and a popup camper. I'd love to go back and ride some of it on a bike.

Good luck and have fun!
Old 08-21-05, 11:58 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Blackberry
OK, I've signed up for the Blue Ridge Extreme bike ride next Sunday out of Afton, Va. There are three options: a 100 mile ride; a 62 mile ride; and a 31 mile ride.

I'm going for the 62. The key element to the metric century is that there are over 6600 feet of vertical climb (mostly one big hill). Anyway, it should be a challenge--and fun.

If you're interested in the ride, let me know. You can sign up here:

https://www.blueridgeextreme.com/
That should qualify for the Ride your age ride. One thing to think of is that you will have one challenge--That one big hill. After that one bit of "Extreme" exertion, you will have done the worst part of the ride. The rest will be easy.
Old 08-28-05, 03:11 PM

Bikes: Lemond Victoire, Cannondale.Mountain Bike, two 1980s lugged steel Treks, ancient 1980-something Giant mountain bike converted into a slick tired commuter with mustache handlebars, 1960-something Raleigh Sports

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
just got back from the Blue Ridge Extreme. It was great. Good weather, well stocked rest stops with every kind of goo, gel, cookie and sports drink imaginable, fantastic scenery and great people. Oh, and free massages at the end. which made the 6600 feet of vertical climb a little less painful (maybe). I'm still in one piece, thank God, and only a little achey here and there.

If you're within a few hours of Charlottesville (DC area and Richmond would qualify), maybe some of you guys ought to think about it for next year. I met people who came from farther away, as well.
Old 08-29-05, 07:52 AM
staring at the mountains

Bikes: Obed GVR, Fairdale Goodship, Salsa Timberjack 29

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 197 Times in 112 Posts
Glad you had a great time, Blackberry. I had to be camping in MD instead, but there's always next year
Old 08-29-05, 08:58 AM

Bikes: '05 Cannondale R5000 Compact Drive, '03 Fuji Roubaix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey blackberry,
Thanks for the info on that ride. It looks awesome! I wish I had known about it sooner, but I'll definitely keep it in mind for next year.
Old 08-29-05, 10:06 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by wineandkeyz
Hey blackberry,
Thanks for the info on that ride. It looks awesome! I wish I had known about it sooner, but I'll definitely keep it in mind for next year.
By all means. I met two guys from Durham, so I know NC had at least some representation. The ride starts and finishes at a hotel, which provides reasonable rates. So you could just roll out of bed, stock up on breakfast, and hit the road!
Old 08-29-05, 10:35 AM

Bikes: '05 Cannondale R5000 Compact Drive, '03 Fuji Roubaix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've stayed at the Afton Inn many times. I live in Carrboro, NC, but I grew up in Middlebrook, VA, and have a lot of family in Stuarts Draft, two towns that are very close to the routes. That's why this thread caught my eye.

When I go home to visit family, I usually stay at the Afton Inn so I can enjoy the views. But that sounds like a great setup, with the start/stop at the motel.