Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maravista, what's a Maravista

For some reason which escapes me, I've been thinking of riding a bike again. It has been a number of years since I even looked at my old, French 10-speed. I knew I needed new tubulars, because the whitewalls had turned orange. There is a Raleigh shop about a mile from my house. On the way home this evening, since it was raining and I couldn't mow the yard anyway, I stopped by to see if I could pick some up. They don't carry them at all, so I saved quite a bit of money from what I've read about tubulars in this forum. I remember sitting by the side of the road sewing when I didn't have a spare, and am not sure I want to do that anymore.

The owner of the shop offered me a Diamondback Maravista for $329. It looked like a pretty nice bike, and I'm not too sure about my old drop handlebars getting along well with my bike anyway. I didn't ride it this evening, because of the thunderstorm. I thought I'd ask what you think of it. I used to ride my old bike for errands an commuting, and I imagine that if I get a new one I'll gravitate towards the same pattern.

rck
    My Bikes
    cannondale 400st, dean el diente, specialized hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    pihwht,
    Don't be in a hurry to buy.Do some research first, there is plenty of information available on this forum and others. My neighbor, who has just gotten back into biking, started with a used mtn bike, switched to a trek 7200 hybrid, and is talking about a road bike for next season. This all in about a 2 month period. He was of the same mind as you-bike to work and back and run some errands. Now he's hooked and is talking of longer rides and (god forbid) goal setting for yearly mileage etc.. Of course now that you mention a new bike, it would not be such a bad idea and at my current weekly rate I should be able to hit.....
    rck

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rck
    Don't be in a hurry to buy.Do some research first, there is plenty of information available on this forum and others. My neighbor, who has just gotten back into biking, started with a used mtn bike, switched to a trek 7200 hybrid, and is talking about a road bike for next season. This all in about a 2 month period. He was of the same mind as you-bike to work and back and run some errands.
    I have started reading this past summer, but I was primarily reading about bents. Then I start reading about tires for my old bike, which I'd dismissed because of my several years old back surgery and the surgeon who told me not to run or bike. Of course, coming here I discover others who are riding after back surgery. "Why not," says I. I start cleaning up the carefully stored, unrusty bike: know that I need new tires before I go rolling around on them, and this salesman just about sells one. I've been reading about all the improvements in technology, but flicking the little gear trigger and watching the linear brake operate was very seductive. I think I have myself under control again. I did just happen to find a low-traffic route to work on the way home.

Between Lecanto and Hernando Florida, 6 miles west of the Withlacoochee Trail
    My Bikes
    I've had several since 1999 but have settled on my beloved 2001 Litespeed Tuscany and my latest, a 2013 Cannondale CAAD 10.
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pihwht
    I knew I needed new tubulars, because the whitewalls had turned orange.
    Whoa. Ditch the tubulars and get some clinchers. Much easier and faster to change when you have problems.

Quote Originally Posted by pihwht
    The owner of the shop offered me a Diamondback Maravista for $329. It looked like a pretty nice bike, and I'm not too sure about my old drop handlebars getting along well with my bike anyway. I didn't ride it this evening, because of the thunderstorm. I thought I'd ask what you think of it. I used to ride my old bike for errands an commuting, and I imagine that if I get a new one I'll gravitate towards the same pattern.
    You bought a cyclocross bike not knowing anything about the bike??
    It will make a great commuter bike. My commuter is a cyclocross bike.
    My bikes --> 2001 Litespeed Tuscany---2013 Cannondale CAAD 10 2 (5) "Racing Edition"

Life is like a 10-speed bicycle. Most of us have gears we never use. ~ Charles Schultz

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RonH
    Whoa. Ditch the tubulars and get some clinchers. Much easier and faster to change when you have problems.

After learning what good tubulars cost, I thought I might get some new 700c wheels with clincher rims. Another amusing thing is that I have no idea where I put the bicycle tools I used to have. Jane thinks I probably loaned them out or gave them away. The last thing I remember doing with the bike is repacking the bearings.

You bought a cyclocross bike not knowing anything about the bike??
    It will make a great commuter bike. My commuter is a cyclocross bike.
    No. I almost bought the bike. Fortunately, the salesman decided not to let his nice bike get muddy when I was ready for a test drive. It did look like a nice bike. I may still buy it or something else even if I get my old bike working, because of the new, neat shifters and stuff.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This afternoon I drove around and checkout some other hybrids besides the Maravista. The Fugi Supreme and the Maravista pretty much tied in my estimation, so I picked the Diamondback because the lbs is only a mile away and I pretty much like the owner. He is blunt, uncharming and my age. I'll pick it up Monday after work. I learned that what I already suspected is true. You start spending money after you buy the bike.

The various salespeople I spoke to in different shops were invariably helpful and pleasant, and I was glad to see that they were all busy. The only bike I looked at in my price range that I wouldn't have been happy with given my current status as a rusty rider was the GT Nomad. It seemed crowded with me on it, but that could have been solved by moving the seat and/or the handlebars. It was a pleasant way of spending an afternoon. I must say that things seem a bit nicer than they were the last time I bought a bike 30 years ago.