Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   New 50+ riders (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/134967-new-50-riders.html)

RockyRides 08-31-05 06:26 PM

New 50+ riders

My wife and I just decided to get bikes and start riding for the first time since we were kids. Got 2 new Trek Nav. 200's which I think are just perfect for us- good quality for the money, stable, and very comfortable. We did pick a difficult, but beautiful area to start riding bilkes at our age- a lot of steep grades and almost no completely level places! Anyway, hopefully we can start slow and get 'ur done. :)

p8rider 08-31-05 07:36 PM

Welcome to the 50+ group. Glad to hear of your initiative. Just get out there and get riding. The truth is hills are fun and flat is boring! Just take your time nudge it up, but don't push it too much.

mollusk 08-31-05 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by p8rider
The truth is hills are fun ...

Some people like the uphill part and other people (the sane ones) like the downhill part. I've always enjoyed the uphill part more, so I guess that says something about me.
:eek:

KeithA 08-31-05 08:05 PM

Me too!!!

Nothing gets my juices going more that pulling yourself up a hill.

By the way, welcome.

RabidCyclist 08-31-05 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by mollusk
Some people like the uphill part and other people (the sane ones) like the downhill part. I've always enjoyed the uphill part more, so I guess that says something about me.
:eek:

I suppose you have to put it in perspective. The uphills are the challage that keep me going. The downhills are fun and the rewards for the effort I put in.

Rickochet 09-01-05 06:41 PM

Welcome to the bunch! My wife and I have really enjoyed our Trek Navigator 200's very much! :D

RockyRides 09-01-05 06:51 PM

Thanks for the welcomes. Rick, I'd appreciate any info you can share on your Nav. 200's. How many miles on yours & any problems? Also any recommended upgrades?
Thanks, Rocky.

stapfam 09-02-05 01:19 AM

Its true that some people enjoy the hills. as far as I comcerned give me gentle rolling slopes any day, but then I would miss out on the beautiful country we have down here in my part of England. Hills do take some getting used to but there is a technique. Take them slow. Too many novice riders underestimate their fitness, and go for the hills. I start them at a stedy comfortable pace and in a gear that is easy. as the hill steepens,or energy runs out, I change down, then down again and down again till I run out of gears. Then I slow down. It does not matter how slow you are, but just get to the top.

I just wish I could take all the hills in this manner, but for there is a little demon inside me that tells me I am not working hard enough. I may be able to do hills but as for enjoying the 4th one of the morning at 12% gradient and it goes on for around a mile, the jury is out on that.

p8rider 09-02-05 07:21 AM

Rocky Rides
You have gotten some good input here. Don't let our hill talk put you off. For myself, when I refer to hills I am sure they are what Stapfam refers to as "gentle rolling slopes". Just take it easy and enjoy riding!

jppe 09-03-05 04:47 PM

Welcome! I hope you and your wife enjoy lot of miles together.