Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Alameda, CA, an island city on the edge of San Francisco Bay
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

rode up the hill!

I've been sharing that I'm back to cycling after a 15 year layoff. Hard to get back into shape, especially hill climbs.

Where I live (SF East Bay Area) so many of the good rides start out with a strong climb.

So after 8 weeks of riding, yesterday for the first time I climbed a good hill, maybe 1000 ft. (for those of you who know the area: Old Tunnel Road to Skyline). It turns out I still knew every turn of the road, every minor shift in the gradient. I've been up this road hundreds of times, but so long ago.

I made it about 2/3 up on my middle chainring, then the rest of the way on my granny gear. Cyclists passed me on the up, and I was a little chagrinned, especially since I'm now running granny gear, but I kept going.

One more observation: So many more cyclists than 15 years ago, so many more with good gear, so many more in full regalia. On the way down the hill, I passed the entire U.C. Berkeley cycling team going uphill on a training run, must have been 40 in their "peloton".

Today (day after) feel great, I'm taking a rest day today, then keep plugging again.

Thanks for listening

My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats! I love hills.
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, congratulations from me as well.

I get more satisfaction from hills than anything.

Berry Pie..the Holy Grail GrannyGear's Avatar
    Weaving thru the cowpud outside Modesto CA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You've every right to feel good about yourself and your rededication. The first "hill" many of us have overcome is middle-aged inertia which is sooo easy to succomb to. Every rider in this section has climbed that steep hill and left many of our age-peers behind us. As for me, there are some local "real" hills that leave me wishing for a third lung!

Alameda, CA, an island city on the edge of San Francisco Bay
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the encouragement, that 3rd lung would be great, I never knew about something called lung capacity until my recent entry into these forums, I used to just ride.

I just remembered how in my early twenties I used to jam to the top of the same hill (probably 3.5 miles uphill) so I could smoke a cigarette while waiting for the others to catch up. Fortunately I gave that up some 30 years ago.

The Improbable Bulk Little Darwin's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Many
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations!

I have never rode up that hill, but I did drive up it. Definitely a "real" hill!

Your comment about all of the high end equipment struck a chord with me, because I read a message in another forum a while back about bike thefts being so frequent... I haven't found it since I have had time to reply, but I think bike thefts are up because the number of bikes that are worth 3 months' salary is greater.

The amazing thing is that most of those people riding the high end bikes probably gain just a few seconds on the length of the climb based on their equipment... The engines are also getting much better now, I think in great part due to the influence of Greg Lemond, Lance Armstrong and others.
    Slow Ride Cyclists of NEPA

People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
    - Ralph Waldo Emerson

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great job on the hill!! So what will be more rewarding. Being at the level you once were at or where you might get should you keep riding for a while?

I completely agree about more riders and equipment. I've only been riding for 4 years but have seen many, many more cyclists at various events I go to.