Keep goin'
    My Bikes
    Rocky Mt. Carve, Stumpjumper '05 HT
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Am I crazy?? MTB lessons on Friday

I'm clippin' in and riding rough terrain with a pro MTB trainer, Friday PM. He says to wear armor. I'm pushing myself (again) to get better for my Oct. Race. I figure if I can Ride (parts of, let's be honest) a difficult trail here (Moab) the easier race course won't freak me out in October. Never raced before..any advice?

Nan..
    NanP

Riding a bitsa
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last outing I had, I did an endo at a river crossing. Screwed up my knee for a few weeks and ended up totalling the bike in the crash.

This off roading isn't for me. I wish you better luck.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by moabrider
    I'm clippin' in and riding rough terrain with a pro MTB trainer, Friday PM. He says to wear armor. I'm pushing myself (again) to get better for my Oct. Race. I figure if I can Ride (parts of, let's be honest) a difficult trail here (Moab) the easier race course won't freak me out in October. Never raced before..any advice?

Nan..
    Go for it. You only live once (please don't take that literally).

Keep goin'
    My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds painful...are you recovered yet? When I last did an endo I must have blacked out for a few moments.I was vaguely aware of riders going by and not stopping to see if i was OK. Luckily, I was wearing a helmet and have recovered. I do not think I 'll ever give up the trail terrain riding. I love being in the silence of the wilderness. However, uphill climbs on dirtroads are easier and provide a better workout now. Guess I'll do both.

Guess I'll be super careful in the 'cross' event and put my best efforts into the uphill climb event . I have to remember it's the journey not the destination and if I have to walk a bit I will.

Thanks! Keep riding...
    NanP

Keep goin'
    My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the inspiration. Life just keeps presenting us with opportunities to challenge ourselves. I like your attitude!!! Thanks..I will do my best to improve and keep my aging parts intact (smile).

Nan
    NanP

there ARE no bad rides
    My Bikes
    Gary Fisher Tassajara mountain bike and an Iron Horse Triumph road bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can't give you any racing advice but I do a few mtn bike "events" every season and some of the trails are used for races also. That and the fact that I try to ride with the younger guys (I'm a tick away from 60) makes me push hard enough to make it feel like I'm racing. Have fun, be carefull and let us know how you make out.

aj

Riding a bitsa
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by moabrider
    Sounds painful...are you recovered yet? When I last did an endo I must have blacked out for a few moments.I was vaguely aware of riders going by and not stopping to see if i was OK. Luckily, I was wearing a helmet and have recovered. I do not think I 'll ever give up the trail terrain riding. I love being in the silence of the wilderness. However, uphill climbs on dirtroads are easier and provide a better workout now. Guess I'll do both.

Guess I'll be super careful in the 'cross' event and put my best efforts into the uphill climb event . I have to remember it's the journey not the destination and if I have to walk a bit I will.

Thanks! Keep riding...
    I'm recoverd, but my left knee looks strange. It never went down fully so it's sort of permanently swollen. Also there is what I think a fluid filled something sticking a bit out the side. I figure time will heal it. I ride w/o pain or restriction so who cares?

I have been down dozens of times on motorcycles and now a few times on bicycles, but never hit my head. I was in an event which demanded a helmet so I was wearing it, but it was the only thing to escape unscathed.

My bike frame is junk now. To my disgust, I bought a good frame with crummy components with the idea of replacing the components as I go. Now I got a destroyed expensive frame and a handful of junky components (with one good one). I'm pretty disgusted at it all.

Keep goin'
    My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Half-bikes are my procrasination measure too!. I finally broke down and had the guys at Poisen Spider do a whole new upscale drive train for me! I love the Rocky Mt. FSR frame and the way it handles. The pivots are in the perfect spot for me and this bike is lighter than most FSR frames. 2oo bucks bought me an essentially new bike! Whoa!

My 3rd lame HT Schwinn Moab, used-to-be-a-bike, may ultimately end up as my home-work-home commuter as I replace it with disintegrating parts from my Stumpjumper '05 Ht and my RM Carve. At least that is the plan for now. (Here, I can relate to your saga). I'll use Shwinn's the extra wheels in the race if need be.

I had no idea I'd get into this bike building, riding, racing thing like I have..it's become an obsession which is a good (healing) replacement behavior for me. I'm busy!! No time to think sad thoughts. For me that's a good thing right now.

BeSafe!

Nan
    NanP