User Tag List

Thread: Aero Bars

70PLUS
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Aero Bars

For what it's worth, I love my aero bars. I mounted the Profile Design (their low end model) on my Trek Navigator. After several adjustments I now prefer riding on the aero bar almost exclusively. At first I was unsteady and would snap up to the upright riding position when a car approached. Now I feel as stable on the bars as in the traditional position and rarely ride upright. I also have picked up a slight increase in speed. To those who would try aero bars I would say - give them a decent tryout period. You might find you like them as well as I.

The Improbable Bulk Little Darwin's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Many
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the encouragement.

I was strongly considering trying aero bars next season ater I lose a little more weight, and you have given me the confidence to try them.

I plan to start riding a bike with drop bars in the spring (my Univega) with clipless pedals. After I get used to that combo, I will try some aero bars. Is there anything about the bars you have that would lead you to trying something different?

Anyone else have recommendations for inexpensive aero bars?
    Slow Ride Cyclists of NEPA

People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
    - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Berry Pie..the Holy Grail GrannyGear's Avatar
    Weaving thru the cowpud outside Modesto CA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ride Profile's lower end "Century" bars from Nashbar ($50) and find them very comfortable. They probably weigh a bit more and provide a little less adjustability than twice the price or more versions, but they have plenty of adjustability for me and serve well.....when riding alone, I use them often for comfort, or to change body position, etc. As for speed, noticably a little faster-- getting forward and a little more crouched seems to engage the butt muscles although constricting breathing a bit. Overall, easily worth $50 and, even tho mine are the least expensive, they do just fine for me. As above, give them some time and you'll find yourself cornering, swerving to avoid obstacles just fine. Not so good for riding in a group or traffic.

Senior Curmudgeon
    My Bikes
    Electra Townie 1-speed with basket & fenders
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Must the handlebar that the aerobars attach to be perpendicular to the front wheel? I've currently got a pair of moustache bars on one bike and Nitto noodle bars on the other. Neither seem good candidates for adding aerobars..

My Bikes
    Trek 7700, C'dale R2000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FarHorizon
    Must the handlebar that the aerobars attach to be perpendicular to the front wheel? I've currently got a pair of moustache bars on one bike and Nitto noodle bars on the other. Neither seem good candidates for adding aerobars..
    I bought a straight bar for my Trek Hybrid. Aero Bars do not clamp well on chrome plating and you need a straight section to clamp to. I suggest that this is important for your safety. If you use Aero Bars as I do, you want them VERY well clamped.

My Bikes
    Trek 7700, C'dale R2000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seniorbiker
    For what it's worth, I love my aero bars. I mounted the Profile Design (their low end model) on my Trek Navigator. After several adjustments I now prefer riding on the aero bar almost exclusively. At first I was unsteady and would snap up to the upright riding position when a car approached. Now I feel as stable on the bars as in the traditional position and rarely ride upright. I also have picked up a slight increase in speed. To those who would try aero bars I would say - give them a decent tryout period. You might find you like them as well as I.
    Ditto from me after several thousand miles of aero bar use.

I like to add a suggestion for those bikers which are more interested in comfort than speed.
    Raise the bar position at least to saddle height and tip the aero bar up so that the hands are higher. This will make it much more comfortable but not as aero dynamic.

My speed went up a bit but my range for the day went up a lot since I can feel the difference in energy required due to wind resistance.

Berry Pie..the Holy Grail GrannyGear's Avatar
    Weaving thru the cowpud outside Modesto CA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FarHorizen,
    Not to worry on the Noodle & moustache bar:

I currently have a Profile aero bar clamped to my Nitto Noodle bars. The $54 Century Profile bar has close-set clamps (as do other models) that fit well on the center, perpendicular sleeve portion of the bars no problem. Profile includes a plastic shim that works fine. You're right, however: other style aero bars, with the clamps about 6 inches apart, do not fit on the noodles because of the noodle's backwards angle on the bar tops.

Regarding the moustache, I used the same aero bar on my moustache (road) bars. I made shims by cutting strips from an aluminum beer can (probably Tecate) and it held tightly to the moustache's mostly sleeved center section & worked just fine for mega miles.

Senior Curmudgeon
    My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GrannyGear
    ...Not to worry on the Noodle & moustache bar...
    THANKS! You answered BOTH of my questions from personal experience - I'm impressed! I'll try some aero bars soon & post back with my impressions too. Thanks again.

My Bikes
    2005 Soma Doublecross
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use an aerobelly instead.
    ---

San Francisco, California

Senior Curmudgeon
    My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelnel
    I use an aerobelly instead.
    What? You funnin' me?

Roadie
    My Bikes
    kestrel
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A word of advice about aerobars: If you intend to race in TT's make sure they comply with the 75 cm bottom bracket to end of aerobar UCI regs. This rule is highly prejudice against taller riders with larger frames (as the frame is larger the top tube is proportionately longer and the aerobar length has to be shortened). I had to get rid of mine just before the start.

Senior Curmudgeon
    My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by berts
    ...If you intend to race in TT's ..
    Thanks, berts, but I don't intend to race in anything. My bicycling is for fun, fitness, and commuting. I do appreciate the info, though. Thanks again.