Get A Life - Get A Bike cheeseflavor's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix, Bianchi San Jose, '87 Schwinn Super Sport
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JRF
    The main recovery exercise you will find in the book is called the "press up". I see yoga classes doing it all the time. You may want to start doing them now. Lie face down and press your shoulders up as high as you can without your pelvis leaving the ground. Have your wife hold your pelvis down if needed. You get a similar stretching action with the big ball.
    Doubt I could do those at the moment

But I will be looking for a copy of that book.

Take care!

Steve

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A little update for those of you keeping score at home

Saw the neuro today, and turns out I have a piece of disk that has come loose and wedged itself in between a couple of discs and is pressing against a nerve causing the pain in my behind and down my leg. His quote was "looks like you blew out a disc". His recommendation was surgery. However, he said it was my call and that I can optionally wait the symptoms out for a few weeks and see if it gets better or worse. The concern is the muscle weakness caused by the nerve being irritated. If it gets better, I can delay the inevitable for as long as possible. Also, I told him about the amount and intensity of riding that my wife and do, and he didn't have a problem with it. He said as long as it doesn't hurt, I should be fine.

I'm also scheduled for a cortisone injection tomorrow and 2-3 sessions of physical therapy for the next 3 weeks.

So, all in all, I'm encouraged and most importantly, I can still bike.

Works for me

Thanks for everyone's suggestions and concerns, and we'll see you on the road!

Steve

My Bikes
    a bunch
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cheeseflavor
    A little update for those of you keeping score at home

Saw the neuro today, and turns out I have a piece of disk that has come loose and wedged itself in between a couple of discs and is pressing against a nerve causing the pain in my behind and down my leg. His quote was "looks like you blew out a disc". His recommendation was surgery. However, he said it was my call and that I can optionally wait the symptoms out for a few weeks and see if it gets better or ...snip...

So, all in all, I'm encouraged and most importantly, I can still bike.
    Works for me
    Thanks for everyone's suggestions and concerns, and we'll see you on the road!
    Steve
    sorry to hear the diagnosis
    glad for you that you've been able to define the problem
    here's hopin 'management' helps get a handle on it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh S***. that sounds like what I heard! I waited also but after awhile what really scared me was when he did the reflex test. Left leg fine, right leg just barely moved. After a couple months of waiting it out you know what I did. Best of luck to ya.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cheeseflavor
    I'm also scheduled for a cortisone injection tomorrow
    Had the injection today. Gotta tell ya, it's nothing I'd want to make a habit out of. The injection sight is sore as hell tonight, and becasue Linda has more sense than I do about it all, we took the night off from the riding. I'm really hoping this helps (should know more tomorrow).

In any event, it's supposed to be a good beautiful weekend weatherwise here, and I think we'll have to do a couple looooong rides. Maybe a couple of 50 or 60 milers.

Take care,

Steve

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12