just over the next hill cruzMOKS's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Bianchi Volpe 2006 Fuji Tahoe
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Light traffic durning NFL Games

My daughter and I rode our bikes to McDonald's (Kansas City). It so happened that it was durning the Chiefs/Jets game. The roads were deserted. I am going to plan more rides durning Chiefs football games.
    Enjoy the ride.
    Bianchi Volpe 2006; Fuji Tahoe 1990

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Same thing happened here when the Chargers embarrassed themselves hosting the Cowboys.
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

Berry Pie..the Holy Grail GrannyGear's Avatar
    Weaving thru the cowpud outside Modesto CA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll self-consciously admit I'm no football fan. I always go out shopping or riding during the Super Bowl.....blessed peace and wide-open spaces. Hard to grow up male and be one-of-the-boys when lacking passion for football. I feel like I'm "coming out" here; I'll leave the forum quietly, though regretfully, if need be.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GrannyGear
    I'll self-consciously admit I'm no football fan. I always go out shopping or riding during the Super Bowl.....blessed peace and wide-open spaces. Hard to grow up male and be one-of-the-boys when lacking passion for football. I feel like I'm "coming out" here; I'll leave the forum quietly, though regretfully, if need be.
    Living in the UK, What is the Superbowl? Sorry about my ignorance, but I really do not want to know the answer either. I used to follow all sports, but have been disalusioned by all of them over the past few years. Most athletes are overpaid, there is a drugs issue that rears its head in most sports, and it is all money orientated. Give me an amateur sport and I might watch it, but even there you have an ugly side to the games.

We have a few big sporting events in england and that is the time for me to do the important things in life, like going to London to look at New Cycling clothing, or riding out a route in the car to recce for next months ride.

Keep the big sporting events going. As others have found out, it gives the rest of us a chance to get on the roads in peace.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A friend of mine does a Super Bowl Century every year. He doesn't care about football, so he waits for the start of the broadcast (mid-afternoon on the West Coast) and rides in places he wouldn't ordinarily go. He doesn't generally make a full century, but he's done Reno to Carson City, usually a pretty miserable ride 60 mile round trip, just breezing down the shoulder

My Bikes
    custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just stay away from shopping malls... the ladies flock to them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And not only is the overall traffic reduced, but the most aggressive and dangerous (to cyclists) cars seem to be absent.

My Bikes
    Old Raleigh Mtn Bike & 2004 Specialized Allez Triple
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildwood
    And not only is the overall traffic reduced, but the most aggressive and dangerous (to cyclists) cars seem to be absent.
    Is that because the women and their cell phones are in the mall? (i'm sorry, i couldn't resist.)

My Bikes
    '06 Raleigh Cadent road bike,'05 Trek 7200 hybrid,' 83 Schwinn Le Tour SS conversion
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would be cautious late in the day on college football Saturdays, and NFL Sundays. The drunks and aggravated fans are taking to the roads. I live in Ohio St. territory, and believe me, the Buckeye fans need to get a life.

Been Around Awhile I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Vaterland and Ragazzi
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lion Steve
    I would be cautious late in the day on college football Saturdays, and NFL Sundays. The drunks and aggravated fans are taking to the roads. I live in Ohio St. territory, and believe me, the Buckeye fans need to get a life.
    They must have been overjoyed last week after hosting the Longhorns. Here's hoping the Nittany Lions do the same for Buckeye disposition.

Send email to dnvrfox@aol.com for new group
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll self-consciously admit I'm no football fan.
    Ditto. I will occasionally watch the Broncos lose if I have nothing better to do (a snowy November day), but otherwise it is a great time to get out - except the clerks in the stores all have their TV's tuned and blasting on "THE GAME."

A new organization, perhaps -- FNLA (Football Non-lovers Anonymous)
    Almost gone from the 50+ forum. - Email me at dnvrfox@aol.com for another fun new group of 50+ folks

On the road again
    My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix, Cannondale R6000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I too live in Ohio State Buckeye country and while I root for them I do like the peace and quiet on the road during a game, in fact where I live I can leave a couple hours before the game, ride and get back by the middle of the third quarter thus missing the drunks and still see part of the game. All of Buckeye country gets settled in about a hour before the game. I find the same thing on Sunday's during the NFL season, from about 12:30 - 5P very little traffic on the roads. A great time to get out a pedal.

Elmira>Taiwan>Elmira flatlander_48's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2005 Ritchey BreakAway (full Chorus 11), 2001 Gary Fisher Tassajara mountain bike (sold), 2004 Giant TRC 2 road bike (sold)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GrannyGear
    I was a football fan until the late '80's. Somehow I just lost interest in it. However, I am a life-long motorsports fan (F-1, stock cars, Indy cars, sports cars, sprints, midgets, Silver Crown, MotoGP, modifieds) from age 8 to now 56. It's a speed thing, I guess...