Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    1982 Motobecane Mirage Sport, 1982 Motobecane Randonnee, 1978 Motobecane Grand Touring
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My 50 Mile Birthday Ride

Hi, guys!

My 50th birthday was on September 8th, and because I was out of town on business at the time, I had to wait until the 12th to make my birthday ride. I planned on a 50 mile jaunt, despite the fact that 30 miles is about as far as I've ever ridden in one trip. So I tried to go easy on myself by picking a rail trail. At least there weren't a lot of hills.

My wife and I journeyed from our home near Cleveland, OH to the Laurel Highlands of Pennsylvania. We started riding together at Ohiopyle State Park. The Ohiopyle depot area was crowded with bikers, and we were surprised to find an organized ride going on this particular Sunday. We left among a small group of other riders, arriving in Confluence, PA for lunch (only 11 miles away). Confluence is the site where young George Washington was involved in the start of the French and Indian War. The third photo is taken near a historical marker about the site. The trail is all hardpack, with a few short paved stretches near town. I'm glad I chose to ride my comfort bike for this trip - the gel saddle and suspension seatpost were much appreciated!

We rode back to Ohiopyle after lunch, and my wife dropped out after 23 miles total. I continued on the trail to Connelsville, PA (17 more miles), where Sally met me with a refill for my water bottles. After 40 miles, I was unsure how to continue. We finally decided that I would simply proceed five more miles up the trail, then ride back. There was no convenient pickup point anywhere near the 50 mile point, and I wasn't sure I could make it much further than that.

So, I chugged out 5 more miles, and came back the now mostly downhill route to the end. Along the way, I took a few pictures of the gorgeous scenery, and one of my trusty (rusty?) steed. All in all it was a great ride, and I highly recommend the trail!

Motofan

My Bikes
    Trek 520 and Trek Madone 5.2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Excellent job!! Congratulations on your birthday ride. I'm envious of your beautiful scenery - here in SW Florida, there isn't much to look at!

Trek Madone 5.2 wsd

Send email to dnvrfox@aol.com for new group
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Beautiful scenery and pics. Congrats on the 50 miles.
    Gone - email me at dnvrfox@aol.com for new group of old 50+ folks

My Bikes
    2005 Fuji Monterey Comfort/Hybrids
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats on the 50 mile brithday ride!! I did mine back in August and didn't have anywhere near as nice a day as you had! The photo's are great, I'll be riding my first long "Mountain Bike Ride" tomorrow, 40 miles of backroads and trails from Cripple Creek, CO. back to Colorado Springs, CO. via the Gold Camp Road. Hope we've got some aspen's changing colors, I'm bringing the camera, I'll try to figure out how to post some photos of the ride. Again Congrats!
    BJ & Jo Ondo
    Colorado Springs, CO.
    2005 Fuji Monterey Comfort/Hybrid
    "We ride just for the FUN of it"!
    http://bj-joondo.tripod.com/bicycle.htm

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Way to go! Beautiful ride, the pictures are great. Congratulations and thanks for posting!
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

My Bikes
    2009 Kona Sutra, 2010 Kona Dew Plus, 2008 Raleigh Companion Tandem
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Motofan

My wife and I journeyed from our home near Cleveland, OH to the Laurel Highlands of Pennsylvania. We started riding together at Ohiopyle State Park. The Ohiopyle depot area was crowded with bikers, and we were surprised to find an organized ride going on this particular Sunday.
    Quote Originally Posted by Motofan
    Along the way, I took a few pictures of the gorgeous scenery, and one of my trusty (rusty?) steed.
    Hey, Motofan, it sounds like a great trip! I was part of that >300 rider organized ride that you were surprised to find. It's called That Dam Ride, an overnight 140-mile cycling/camping in Confluence ride.
    http://www.thatdamride.org

In fact, I'm in the photo that you took of the Ohiopyle station (left side, back to the camera, talking on a cell phone). You sure picked a good Sunday for your birthday ride as far as weather is concerned. I came back home with lots of nice photos, too.

My Bikes
    2010 Scott CR1 Comp, 2013 Scott Scale 960 MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bikingbets
    Hey, Motofan, it sounds like a great trip! I was part of that >300 rider organized ride that you were surprised to find. It's called That Dam Ride, an overnight 140-mile cycling/camping in Confluence ride.
    http://www.thatdamride.org

In fact, I'm in the photo that you took of the Ohiopyle station (left side, back to the camera, talking on a cell phone). You sure picked a good Sunday for your birthday ride as far as weather is concerned. I came back home with lots of nice photos, too.
    Okay, BikingBets no teasing allowed, you must post pic's if you can. I had a friend that was along on That Dam Ride with the bunch. I have not had the oppurtunity to ask her about it yet, but I'm sure she had fun. I should have gone, but I was saving myself for a Metric Century in Washington, PA this past Sunday. I made it, not too fast, but I made it. It was a hilly 65 miles total for me.

Motofan, glad you had a great B-Day ride, and thanks for sharing the awesome pic's.

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great job Moto! Thanks for posting-beautiful pics as well.

Gives me the incentive to get off the road riding and onto my mountain bike for some similiar RtoT's rides around here.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TrekDen
    Okay, BikingBets no teasing allowed, you must post pic's if you can. I had a friend that was along on That Dam Ride with the bunch. I have not had the oppurtunity to ask her about it yet, but I'm sure she had fun. I should have gone, but I was saving myself for a Metric Century in Washington, PA this past Sunday. I made it, not too fast, but I made it. It was a hilly 65 miles total for me.

Motofan, glad you had a great B-Day ride, and thanks for sharing the awesome pic's.

Don't believe me? Take a look...my 2 friends that are in Motofan's pic. I also have very similar pics to Motofan's other pics. I almost fell off my chair when I was reading his post!!

I hope the attachments work!

Again, nice job Motofan!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dang, but do I love those pictures!!! I bet most everyone here wishes they could take the same ride tomorrow when they see something like that.

Great ride, pictures, and narrative.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KeithA
    Dang, but do I love those pictures!!! I bet most everyone here wishes they could take the same ride tomorrow when they see something like that.

Great ride, pictures, and narrative.
    I thought I had beatiful scenery in the South east of England, but If I had scenery like this, I'd never be home. Makes England look Like it is. Boring!!!

Let me try and put these birthday rides into perspective. Forgotten whose birthday it was originally to celebrate, And to ride their age, But this has not just been a thread on the Forum. It has been an International event. Well done to all who have participated, and keep training for all those that will do it by the end of the year.

It's OK for those experienced riders that regularly do a century ride, They have had it easy, but for those that have never undertaken a trip further than down town to collect the Sunday papers, this has been a real achievement. For those that have ridden their age this year for the first time in quite a few years, I take my hat of to you, and it is this group of riders that have earnt my admiration.

All it takes now is for the next virtual ride to take place, so that we can participate in the next challenge.

Any Suggestions for around the New Year?

My Bikes
    1982 Motobecane Mirage Sport, 1982 Motobecane Randonnee, 1978 Motobecane Grand Touring
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks to all for the nice comments, and especially to BikingBets for filling me in on That Dam Ride. Maybe next year I'll come back and see some of what I missed! It was well worth the trip!

Regards to all,

Motofan

My Bikes
    2010 Scott CR1 Comp, 2013 Scott Scale 960 MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice BikingBets, I knew you would show us some pic's. All we had to do was tempt you, and quite a few of us are good at that here

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, it sure wasn't hard to get me going, was it??? I love to take my camera with me on long rides on a rail-trail. I never know what I'll find. Ha, look what Motofan found---me!! Maybe at next year's That Dam Ride, TrekDen, Motofan and I can meet so we can all post pics of each other! It's a great trip (a 60-mile round trip too, if 140 miles is too much).