User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    My Bikes
    Electra Townie 7D
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mirrycle folds out of the way. Blackburn does not. Also depends if you have drop or upright bars as to range of mirrors possible.

http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/mirrors.html

http://www.mirrycle.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I went to a 3rd Eye Pro helmet mounted mirror and now prefer it over my Take-a-Look. It adjusts easier; can swing out of the way if I want; it's one less thing to keep track of in that it's perpetually on the helmet; the glass is flatter with no distortion. And last, when I arrive somewhere, the helmet comes off as does the mirror. Instant geek reduction in one movement.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try the Bike-Eye mirror totaly different than any other mirror, it fits to the head and down tube. It works great on straight or droped bars. The angle of view is under the leg, I know it sounds weird but it really is a brilliant Idea & it works really well providing you don't block out the view with panniers etc. Also close fitting cycling shorts or leggings are Ideal when using this style of mirror.

My Bikes
    2000 Bianchi San Remo and a mint 1984 Trek 720
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkS
    The "take-a-look" mirror works much better, though you will probably eventually need to glue the plastic insert onto your helmet. I saw it locally at R.E.I. It can also be ordered from crateworks. Its also handy if you want to know who's behind you in the checkout lane. Once you get used to a mirror, you won't want to leave home without it.
    I use the Take-a-look mirror on my helmet and a bar end mirror (can't remember the brand). The take-a-look is the best helmet mirror I have tried - the plastic ones are crap. I have both because I use the bar-end when I'm in the drops, which makes the helmet mirror difficult to use without raising my head so much that I come out of position.

I NEVER ride without a mirror. They are great for taking a quick check.

One thing you should know mirrors will NOT eliminate the need to look behind you occasionally. Even if I see the car in my mirror, when they get up behind me, and when it is safe to pass me, I will turn and look at the car. This is the only way the driver knows that I see him. Many times people will hang back and not pass until I turn around and look. Then they feel safe to pass.
    It's better to cycle through life than to drive by it.

Berry Pie..the Holy Grail GrannyGear's Avatar
    Weaving thru the cowpud outside Modesto CA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=MikeR]

One thing you should know mirrors will NOT eliminate the need to look behind you occasionally. QUOTE]

+1 . Above all, use a mirror mounted wherever it works best for you....always good to know what's coming up behind-- especially when riding with others for some of the unpredictable things that happen in a group.
    ..... "I renewed my youth, to outward appearance, by mounting a bicycle for the first time." Mark Twain, Speeches

My Bikes
    Litespeed Blueridge
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My husband actually prefers a mirror that attaches to your glasses but it's made from a beer cap. My husband gets a lot of comments on it.
    If you want, you can contact Richard Bird at his e-mail address of dickbird@cox.net.
    They cost $10.00 plus $1.00 for shipping and handling. You can also check them out on his website Beerview Mirrors.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is a usable link:
    http://www.marketingcounsel.com/beerview_mirrors.html

I'm looking for a mirror and will check these out with others.

Quote Originally Posted by Litespeed
    My husband actually prefers a mirror that attaches to your glasses but it's made from a beer cap. My husband gets a lot of comments on it.
    If you want, you can contact Richard Bird at his e-mail address of dickbird@cox.net.
    They cost $10.00 plus $1.00 for shipping and handling. You can also check them out on his website Beerview Mirrors.

My Bikes
    2005 Windsor Kennet, 1982 Raleigh Super Course
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=rfctx]
    Quote Originally Posted by Goncalo Alves
    I bought an "Aspire VeloTech" mirror that attaches to the drop bar end, go here for a good description with photos: http://www.aspirevelotech.com/Listings/Mirror.htm

He also sells them on Ebay, do a search for "road bike mirror" and you'll find it.

>>>>>>>>>snip>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I have one as well. Tried them all, and I have found it to be the best mirror for me. The mirror really does not adjust .. you can kind of move it a bit ... most likely due to my tape job!
    I think I'll give one of these a shot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also have the aspire velotech Italian stealth racing mirror. It works great! No vibration. I have mine mounted as per the instructions. My handlebar tape overlaps it. Looks very cool on my new Trek Pilot.

Older I get, Better I was velonomad's Avatar
    My Bikes
    a bunch of them, most made by me, a couple made by others
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wasn't there a mirror that clamped to a drop bar brake lever on the market for awhile? Is that one still around?

My Bikes
    Motobecane, Cannondale, Gary Fisher, LeMond, Merlin Cyrene
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dbmcclus
    I also have the aspire velotech Italian stealth racing mirror. It works great! No vibration. I have mine mounted as per the instructions. My handlebar tape overlaps it. Looks very cool on my new Trek Pilot.
    Mine has no vibration as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always use a mirror. One setup is on my glasses, the other is mounted ( two helmets). I would like to try bar ends but my ride has bar end shifters. The little woman laughs at me in my setup but it has saved my wide butt more than once!!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by velonomad
    Wasn't there a mirror that clamped to a drop bar brake lever on the market for awhile? Is that one still around?
    Blackburn Road Mirror:

http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?c...eid=&pagename=

I use it and it works pretty well, a little vibration but easy to mount/remove/adjust. Wide field of vision is a nice feature. I can't use a helmet or glasses mounted mirror due to an astigmatism in my left eye ....

B'Dog
    2006 Gary Fisher Marlin MTB
    2004 Salsa LaRaza aka "Mmmm, Blue Salsa" (853 steel is real, baby!)
    2003 Kona Humu Humu Nuka Nuka Apua'A Singlespeed - Gone, but not forgotten
    1998 Diamondback Outlook MTB
    1990 Centurion Cavaletto 'Gaspipe Beater' Roadie
    1978 Volkscycle 'Frankenbike' CroMo Tourer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always use a bar-end (I think I have the 3rd Eye brand) mirror. I did break one last season and before I replaced it I went out for a ride and was VERY uncomfortable without it, it had become that much second nature to keep glancing at it.

I could NEVER get used to either a helmet or sunglass mount mirror. How do you guys do it? With the bar-end, I just glance down at a fixed point whenever I want and it always shows me the field I am accustomed to. With the helmet or sunglass mirrors, you have to perfectly position your head, line of sight,shoulder position, etc. Way too much concentration required, in my experience.

My Bikes
    2002 Litespeed Ultimate.....2003 KHS Flite 800......2002 Jamis Quest
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is totally beyond my comprehension why all bicyclists dont use rear view mirrors. In my way of thinking they are as essential as mirrors on an automobile. They are so ridiculously cheap that you can economically try them all till you find the one which works for you best. It is extremely important to me to know what might be coming up on me whether it be a car, a school bus, a semi or a Rotweiller. On the road, I want the best odds I can muster for survival. A rear view mirror is one more tool to make my odds just a little better. For the record, I am not a safety freak. I enjoy a tight group ride or a 20 mph pace line as much as anyone. I just need to know what is going on around me. That ability makes my ride so much more enjoyable.

My Bikes
    '96 Trek 5500 OCLV, '05 Trek 6500 SLR
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have used a "3rd Eye" helmet-mounted mirror for years. Have to adjust it before each ride, but I wouldn't leave home without it when taking to the road for a spin. Conversely, I have not found using a mirror on my mountain bike to be all that useful for off-road fun.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "WOW! WHAT A RIDE!"

My Bikes
    ariZona carbon fiber tandem & single
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My favorites: Chuck Harris in Ohio handmakes mirrors out of recycled materials. Neat,and they work! He makes helmet/glasses mounted versions in different sizes/shapes/colors. He has made over fifty thousand of them!
    Take-A-Look glasses/helmet mounted miorrors, made by disabled folks in Colorado.
    Both are great USA-made products.

Berry Pie..the Holy Grail GrannyGear's Avatar
    Weaving thru the cowpud outside Modesto CA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zonatandem
    My favorites: Chuck Harris in Ohio handmakes mirrors out of recycled materials.
    Take-A-Look glasses/helmet mounted miorrors, made by disabled folks in Colorado.
    Zonatandem........I had a great mirror I got from Rivendell....it was octagonal and mounted on my classes using a recycled spoke. Could that be Chuck Harris or Take a Look? If so, or even not so, how do I contact them? Best, most vibration free glasses mounted (my preference) mirror I ever used.
    ..... "I renewed my youth, to outward appearance, by mounting a bicycle for the first time." Mark Twain, Speeches

My Bikes
    Shasta Kiliminjaro, Optima Dragon Recumbent
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I feel naked without a mirror. At one time, I used the helmet mounted mirror, but now I prefer the handlebar style. I like the ones that come out the end of the handlebar.
    Jim
    Make a BOLD Statement While Cycling!

My Bikes
    Raleigh Supercourse
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm surprised no one has mentioned wrist mounted mirrors. I had one 20 yr ago that worked well but was heavy steel and rusted. Unable to find a light wrist mirror, i have made my own. As a main structure i used a small amount of aluminum flashing material, folded to double thickness and folded into an "L" shape. I added a convex stick-on mirror from an auto store, cut two slits, some elastic and velcro and I have a wrist rear view mirror.

Advantages:

It is not on the bike, so if it falls, it won't break
    Being on my wrist, the wrist seems to absorb road vibration.
    The aluminum seems to be a strong structure, but flexible enough to yield in a fall
    I simply glance down and mayby move my wrist slightlyto scan the road behind me.

The only problem is finding a mirror with the correct focal length. A flat mirror doesn't show enough of the road in my opinion and the one I have scans a little to much, so car images are not as big as I would like. If anyone cold lead me to a quality wrist mirror, please let me (and others?) know.

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Two guys in my cycling club have wrist-mounted mirrors, bought many years ago, and swear by them. They also swear that they were never widely available, and aren't to be had at all any more. If they're wrong, I'd certainly be in the market for one.
    Specialized Roubaix Pro
    Specialized Sequoia Elite

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A ridgedly fixed helmet mirror is superior to bar end mirrors in several ways: Once it is adusted it stays put (if you drop your helmet; well what can I say), it weighs less than a bar end mirror, it has less wind resistance than a bar end mirror, you need not take your eyes off of the road when using a helmet mirror, and by moving your head around the field of vision is much greater than a bar end mirror. Decide for yourself.

My Bikes
    2005 Windsor Kennet, 1982 Raleigh Super Course
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geraldatwork
    I think I'll give one of these a shot.
    Well I installed the Aspire Velo Tech mirror on my handle bars and found it worked well. I am happy with it. I have never used the mirrors attached to the helmet or glasses so I have nothing to compare it to. It has a convex mirror so the objects in the mirror are a little small especially the bikers following me. It was a little hard to judge their distance but feel I will get used to that. For me at least it's most important use is seeing cars from behind I might not hear and for that it worked well. It was helpful to see a 2nd or 3rd car following as if you go by sound only you can't tell. It installed easily. I didn't want to take the tape off the handle bars so I just installed it over the bar tape with some electrical tape as suggested. I found I could make minor adjustments while on the bike. I didn't notice any vibration at all. However most of the roads I ride on are pretty smooth. My main reason for getting this mirror is to me at least the mirrors that attach to the helmet or glasses look too nerdy to me. The handle bar mirrors are too large and stick out too much.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234