Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Still More Saddle Musings

I've been using Selle San Marco Regal saddles for a long time. Never had a problem with them right from the start.

Well, the saddles I had been using hurt me so bad that it was like a screaming pain after 20 miles or so and I'd have to put up with that for the 35 miles or so of ride that was all I could stand. I finally broke down and bought an expensive Regal. On the first ride I managed to get about 1.5 miles before it hurt so bad that I couldn't ride any further. I pulled over and readjusted the saddle tilt down one click. IT WAS PERFECT after that and I could ride any length and just get a sore bottom and none of that perineal pain that I had been having.

Over the years I've beat up a whole lot of Regals and never had a complaint with them except that they aren't comfortable. Not UN-comfortable mind you - but you'd think that there must be some saddle somewhere that is better than that.

So after reading all of the praise for a Brooks B-17 I bought one for my touring bike. I installed it and went out today to break it in. At first it wasn't very comfortable. It was shiny and slippery and I kept sliding forward which put a lot of strain on my arms.

It was supposed to be an easy ride because I've heard that until Brookes are broken in they are pretty uncomfortable.

After 12 miles I was sitting in a coffee shop and decided instead of going back the flat route I'd go up to Mountain Blvd. Via a knee breaker route. Well, my touring bike has a granny gear from a mountain bike so what the heck?

Up through little Mexico and then up through Big Bucks Junction onto Mountain Blvd. There are several sections up to 1/4 mile long that are over 16% here. A 24/34 may look funny but it sure comes in handy at times like that. And since it is friction shifting I can make it completely silent on the quiet back streets.

At this point I decided that Skyline might be a better route so I started up the side roads. It was at this point that I realized that the saddle wasn't hurting and that I wasn't sliding forward on it. I figured that it was because of the uphill holding me back on the saddle.

But after I hit Skyline and was riding along the ridges I still wasn't sliding around on it.

I also noticed that when I hit a bump, it wasn't transmitted full force through the saddle and up my spine like on the plastic based saddles. What started out to be a 25 mile flat ride ended up a 32 mile ride with a thousand feet or more of climbing.

When I pulled up to my house and went up the bump of the driveway there wasn't any large jolt.

While it's plain that the saddle still needs a lot of breaking in, I can see now that there are definite advantages to a leather saddle of this design.

Knows Bigfoot's Momma
    My Bikes
    yeah; got a couple...
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclintom
    ...While it's plain that the saddle still needs a lot of breaking in, I can see now that there are definite advantages to a leather saddle of this design.
    Yup.... I've put over 1000 miles on a new one in the past 7 months...and it's feeling better all the time. I cheated a little with mine though, and cut the sides away... That made it feel a little softer right off.
    nice lugs baby!

Get A Life - Get A Bike cheeseflavor's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix, Bianchi San Jose, '87 Schwinn Super Sport
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOtherGuy
    Yup.... I've put over 1000 miles on a new one in the past 7 months...and it's feeling better all the time. I cheated a little with mine though, and cut the sides away... That made it feel a little softer right off.
    I really like the way the hacked Brook's look. Good job! Does it help at all with pressure on the equipment?

Steve

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been ridinga Brooks B-17 for the past 29 years. No mater how long I was off the bike, the saddle always "fit" & was familiar.

I am in the process of getting used to a new bike. I am still undecided about theses "new fangled" seats. I am about 1 week away from saying the heck with it & ordering another Brooks & just be done with it. I keep relearning the old lesson "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." Bob

Berry Pie..the Holy Grail GrannyGear's Avatar
    Weaving thru the cowpud outside Modesto CA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does anybody have any experience with a Brooks Pro? I have a B-17 on one bike and, believe it or not, would like something just a bit narrower.
    ..... "I renewed my youth, to outward appearance, by mounting a bicycle for the first time." Mark Twain, Speeches

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Before I switched to long wheel base recumbent, I found Spiderflex's two pad seat to be pretty comfortable. Definately no perineal pain. It's only available online. bk

My Bikes
    Airnimal Chameleon; Ellis Briggs; Moulton TSR27
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GrannyGear
    Does anybody have any experience with a Brooks Pro? I have a B-17 on one bike and, believe it or not, would like something just a bit narrower.
    I've had a few and they were fine for a more aggressive riding position but I found the leather a bit more difficult to break-in than the B17's. Now the thicker leather they used prior to them being taken over by Selle may have changed but reports indicate that this is not so. One of mine was very comfortable and I regularly used it for tours of up to a 1000+ miles. The other was not and when I checked I found that the leather was in fact double the thickness of the more comfortable saddle. That said I now believe that the new outfit is much more consistent in their materials than before.