Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Harrassed While Riding

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Harrassed While Riding

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-05, 03:10 PM

Bikes: Schwinn, and one piece of junk I won't name

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Harrassed While Riding

What advice can you offer to someone who gets harrassed while riding? I recently had a person want to "kick my Butt" because I was walking my bike across the street to slowly. I was in the cross walk and moving as fast as my damaged right foot would allow.
Old 06-06-05, 03:21 PM

Bikes: 1991 Trek 1400 (105 w/Sora shifters, Look Pedals)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Was there traffic around? The middle finger does wonders, and when older people get mad, it's just cool. You are a pedestrian in a cross walk, by law he has stop and wait no matter how long you take to cross. I would have slowed down, started limping, all the while giving the driver a serious glare. Make him wait just a little longer to rush to starbucks.
Old 06-06-05, 03:26 PM

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
It's a normal part of cycling, just like flat tires. Try to accept it. I know, it's a lot easier to say than do...a lot !! good luck.
Old 06-06-05, 03:39 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 2manybikes
It's a normal part of cycling, just like flat tires. Try to accept it. I know, it's a lot easier to say than do...a lot !! good luck.
Last time I had some one harass me while riding I Did point out to him what a prat he was being, and would he like to see my riding partner and myself at the local police station at 9 am tomorrow morning. All he has to do is go to the front desk and and ask for sergeant Robinson. He went very apoligetic after that. And NO I am not a police officer, and neither is my Riding partner.

A trick I learnt from a rider I was out with once. I did not realise that he was a police officer, and he wasn't, but the driver of the van spent an uncomfortable 12 hours wondering what was going to happen to him the next morning.
Old 06-06-05, 05:18 PM
Huachuca Rider

Bikes: Fuji CCR1, Specialized Roubaix

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Old 06-06-05, 05:36 PM
Berry Pie..the Holy Grail

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Having just recently had an egg and a bag of garbage bounced off my body by passing motorists, I share your anger, resentment, and frustration. I remember that it is easier to feel impunity pushing around a mid 50's rider with knobby knees than a Steve Bauer (remember him?), A. Petacchi, or any other 20'ish young athlete. My days of looking like I could potentially duke it out are over.

And perhaps that's what I find most frustrating when dealing with road-boors and jerks...even though I'm old and should be mature and beyond such feelings, I still want to kick some butt. 'Fraid the old kicker has kicked. Apologies to more adult, balanced people here like DenverFox, etc.
Old 06-07-05, 07:07 AM

Bikes: Giant easy e, Priority Onyx, Scott Sub 40, Marin Belvedere Commuter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 32 Posts
Stopping and re-adjusting your sock in front of him probably would have made things worse.
I had alway wondered why I am "never" bothered while riding till someone told me my bike and my garb make me look like a cop.
Old 06-07-05, 07:33 AM

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stapfam
Last time I had some one harass me while riding I Did point out to him what a prat he was being, and would he like to see my riding partner and myself at the local police station at 9 am tomorrow morning. All he has to do is go to the front desk and and ask for sergeant Robinson. He went very apoligetic after that. And NO I am not a police officer, and neither is my Riding partner.

A trick I learnt from a rider I was out with once. I did not realise that he was a police officer, and he wasn't, but the driver of the van spent an uncomfortable 12 hours wondering what was going to happen to him the next morning.
Alas, in the US claiming to be a police officer (when you aren't) can get you arrested. Could ruin your whole day of riding.
Old 06-07-05, 07:41 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by bernmart
Alas, in the US claiming to be a police officer (when you aren't) can get you arrested. Could ruin your whole day of riding.

Same in the UK. But asking a prat to go and see sergeant XYZ tomorrow is not claiming to be a police officer. Especially when they realise how much they are in the wrong.
Old 06-07-05, 08:33 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
a) Ignore it and hope that the guy doesn't run over you before you clear the crosswalk.

b) Move out of the way, let him pass and thank all that is good an holy that you aren't as effed up a person as is he.
Old 06-07-05, 12:20 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Clutch your chest, stare wildly at the driver and slump to the ground...or ignore them and remember that there is a great cross section of life with good, bad and indifferent people. It is always surprising to me when someone is shocked by behavior like this. Flipping them off and teaching them a lesson is lost on the Neanderthal. Move on. Are you trying to change someones behavior? Their parents failed in the rearing process and you are just seeing the evidence to that fact. Keep riding and enjoy the good people. So far I've had cans, bottles and language thrown at me and the anger was there, but there has never been any satisfaction that I've changed anyones mind. I was satisfied once when on incident happened in front of a CHP at an intersection. The citation was for "wreckless endangerment" and the court appearance was worth the trouble. But the driver did not change his mind concerning cyclists.
Old 06-07-05, 02:17 PM

Bikes: Custom built tourer, custom electric bike, beaters everywhere

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by OldGoat
What advice can you offer to someone who gets harrassed while riding? I recently had a person want to "kick my Butt" because I was walking my bike across the street to slowly. I was in the cross walk and moving as fast as my damaged right foot would allow.
I teach defensive driving to taxi drivers. The course includes proper responses to road rage (which is what this is).

I get yelled at all the time. Avoid making eye contact and never respond to verbal taunts.
Old 06-07-05, 02:24 PM

Bikes: 2013 KHS Flite 747

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My advice is to ignore it. You might even want to say a prayer for the guy!
Old 06-07-05, 04:19 PM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Pretty much what Javaman said. It's hard as heck to do but the best thing is just to put it behind you and move on. While your insides and telling you to make a gesture, say something or even retaliate-none of it helps to resolve the situation.

If it's a really escalated situation get the license tag number and call 911. Otherwise what works best for me to is say "Bless that person that's.........having a bad day, really upset with life, etc." For some reason that helps me to just move on.
Old 06-07-05, 08:47 PM

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Cannondale Mountain Bike F500 upgraded

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wear a black fanny pack to store some of your tools, etc. It's pretty common knowledge that fanny packs are a preferred method of gun carry. I know this from experience.

At least it will make smart alecs think twice, particularly if you combine it with a crazy look!
Old 06-07-05, 08:55 PM
scofflaw

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oy! he (sorry I'm assuming it was a man), wanted to kick your butt BECAUSE YOU WALKED YOUR BIKE TOO SLOW!!!! What an assH***e!!!! Does this individual stomp on stray dogs and wayward children also???? This individual I would ignore. Fer crying out loud you were walking!!! You're best defense is a digital camera to snap his license plate. ps if it wasn't a man I would love to know, pm me
Old 06-07-05, 09:12 PM

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Once when I was riding my bike, I saw this guy in a car honking wildly at a woman who was crossing Michigan Avenue (with the light, mind you, so she was in the right). The guy wanted to turn, and he felt that she was moving too slowly. Well, this woman simply stopped and blocked the car from moving and just stood there. Then she lifted up her shoe and showed the guy what kind of shoes she was wearing. Then she stood with a hand on her hip and asked if he needed something. She kept on doing this stuff and EVERYONE was laughing... even the cop directing traffic. She did it so long that I couldn't wait anymore and had to ride off, but when I was riding off, she was still holding up the car.

I do the same thing. If I am in the right, and you are honking at me, I will simply stop in the road and we will have some words until you figure out that honking at me will get you nowhere. If they get violent, I have mace.

Koffee

Old 06-08-05, 07:26 AM

Bikes: Schwinn, and one piece of junk I won't name

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey Marge,

This guy was about 20 years younger than myself and looked like one of those wrestlers on TV. The intersection I crossed has a flashing light telling motorists that when pedestrians are in the crosswalk, they are to yeild the right of way to the pedestrian. It took me all of 7 seconds to get across the street. This guy actually pulled his car to the side of the street, got out and approached me. There was no reasoning with this person and he continued to badger me and follow me as I started walking away. Finally, I just put the bike down and told him to take his best shot. he continued telling me how he was going to kick my butt. I invited him to try and informed him that I would most certainly lay into him if he tried something foolish. When I saw that he was just a big bag of wind, I picked up my bike and continued on my way. he drove along side me for a while taunted me andtelling me how if he wanted to he could "kick my #$@$". My last comment to him before I turned off onto another road, was "you had your chance, you don't get a second."

I have decided that the next time this happens, I will just keep my eyes focused on the road, turn around and ride the other direction until the idiot is gone.
OldGoat
Old 06-08-05, 02:22 PM

Bikes: Cannondale T2000, Specialized FSR Induro Comp, Specialized cross bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This was way more than normal harassment. I always carry a pen or pencil and some scraps of paper plus a cell phone for my commutes. I would have stopped, written down his license number and turned him in, even better, calling 911 right there. A threat to kick my behind is a threat of bodily harm. I don't think any police would take that lightly.

It is up to us to put a stop to this type of harassment. Anything thrown from a car at you is an attempt to hurt you. Get the license number and call it in. Carry a throw away camera and take pictures if you have time. Don't put yourself in jeopardy if you can avoid it but don't let them get away with this kind of activity. The next person they harass may actually get hurt.
Phil
Old 06-09-05, 12:33 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ignore the jerk It this age there is not telling what some fool might do. It is not worth getting all riled up over.
Old 06-09-05, 10:56 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by stapfam
Same in the UK. But asking a prat to go and see sergeant XYZ tomorrow is not claiming to be a police officer. Especially when they realise how much they are in the wrong.
Go in for a tour of the local police station, and memorize the name of the guy/gal behind the desk. If you use that name, you're inviting them to meet you, with that officer present. Use the same wording as your buddy did.
Old 06-26-05, 07:22 PM
hilly roadie

Bikes: Giant TCR 1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Two years ago a couple of young lowlives in a pickup tried to force me off the road, laughing and swearing in the process. I got so pissed I flipped them off, then rode at my hardest pace in their direction, as they pulled off into the shoulder, as if to kick my skinny ass. I think as they saw I wasn't backing off, they changed their minds (there was also more traffic coming), and they took off.
Attitude is a big plus.
My plan was to tell them they could beat the **** out of me if they wanted to, but I had their license plate, and I knew some good lawyers. Fortunately, I didn't need to use it.
Old 06-27-05, 11:16 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
These situations are really frustrating. Having Bar-B Que sauce packets from mickey dees thrown at me was a real treat. I was thinking of having some yellow jerseys made up. Police yellow. Across the back in big letters would be the word POLICE. Just above it in very small letters would be the phrase "I support my local" At anything above 25mph I doubt a passing motorist could read the small letters. Likewise, they couldn't miss the large letters. Maybe it makes the jerks think twice. Just an idea born out of frustration. If I do it I'll report back on how well it works.
Old 06-27-05, 06:05 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Bikes: Varies by day

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I always smile & wave. It gives them pause, wondering if they know me or if I'm their neighbor or something..
Old 06-27-05, 07:47 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It has not happened to me yet but I am sure it will someday, I do like the suggestion to use a camera to take their picture and their license plate, hopefully when the time comes I will handle in it a mature way and not get mad and want to fight but it's hard to say what you will do til the situation happens and hopefully it will not happen for some time.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.