Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sunglasses Dllemma

I'm posting this here rather than on the road forum 'cause I figure I'm not the only 50+ rider with imperfect vision. Here's my boring but urgent problem:

I wear bifocals. The distance correction is pretty mild, but I can't read at all w/o the reading lens. In southern California I really need sunglasses, but prescription sunglasses go for $350+, and I'd be nervous as hell about losing or breaking them at that price. I can ride with non-prescription sunglasses, but without the reading correction I couldn't read a menu, route, slip, map. . . . You get the idea. A few vendors offer cycling glasses with rx adapters, and I wonder how people have experienced these. My optician isn't sure he can fit bifocals into the adapter; I've ordered a sunglass/adapter combo from Performance so he can check them out.

Well, I told you this was boring, but if any of you have a similar problem, and have figured out a solution that works well, please let me know? I'll be seeing you!
    Specialized Roubaix Pro
    Specialized Sequoia Elite

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Google "stick-on bifocals". These will be your solution. I use them and they work. Convert cheap sunglasses to bi-focals.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ref above: Got them from www.Business-Supply.com.......1.800.676.0180
    I found a pad of note paper they sent me

Send email to dnvrfox@aol.com for new group
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bernmart
    I'm posting this here rather than on the road forum 'cause I figure I'm not the only 50+ rider with imperfect vision. Here's my boring but urgent problem:

I wear bifocals. The distance correction is pretty mild, but I can't read at all w/o the reading lens. In southern California I really need sunglasses, but prescription sunglasses go for $350+, and I'd be nervous as hell about losing or breaking them at that price. I can ride with non-prescription sunglasses, but without the reading correction I couldn't read a menu, route, slip, map. . . . You get the idea. A few vendors offer cycling glasses with rx adapters, and I wonder how people have experienced these. My optician isn't sure he can fit bifocals into the adapter; I've ordered a sunglass/adapter combo from Performance so he can check them out.

Well, I told you this was boring, but if any of you have a similar problem, and have figured out a solution that works well, please let me know? I'll be seeing you!
    I'm blind as a bat without corrective glasses. I need correction on all parts of the lens.

I wear the much more expensive than bifocals progressive lenses.

I wear them in both clear and sunglasses.

Last time I saw one of those ads for "glasses for $99" or whatever, at one of those big chain stores, I took my prescription in and they made me a pair of progressive lenses sunglasses for $99. AS I remember, I paid some extra for tha frame I wanted, but all-in-all it was much less than $350.00.

That was about 5 years back, and I don't know if they still have those offers. I just got a new set of clear glasses and I need to do the procedure again, so I will keep my eyes open. By the way, I now have glasses insurance, which saved me a BUNDLE on my clear prescription glasses.
    Gone - email me at dnvrfox@aol.com for new group of old 50+ folks

Send email to dnvrfox@aol.com for new group
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gone - email me at dnvrfox@aol.com for new group of old 50+ folks

Old Frogman
    My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try OPTX2020. I've used them for years and they are great for the price.

http://www.optx2020-info.net/index.html

P.S. I also ride a Sequoia Elite.

My Bikes
    Miyata 610, Vinco V, Rocky Mountain Element
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use a frame that has magnetic clip on sunglasses over the prescription lens. The magnets are very strong and have held the sunglasses on at speeds of 90mph. (On a motorcycle) The terrific part is that you always have your glasses and your sunglasses, and it only takes a second to pop the sunglasses off if you enter a restaurant or a tunnel or something. On my steel bike, I simply placed the sunglasses on the top tube and they'd stay.

The other nice thing is that essentially give you double the impact protection of one pair of glasses.

Az

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Az, any source for these magnetic sunglass clip-ons?

Thanks for the terrific and prompt replies, guys!
    Specialized Roubaix Pro

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi, I too can't see a thing without my lenses. I use bifocal contact lenses and Oakley Sunglasses when outside. Works great for me, my husband couldn't adjust to the bifocal contacts, no problem for me.

Almost as good as no glasses. Can bike/ski, work at the computer, read the newspaper, see close and far. No lines to worry about, no glasses to forget.

Many eye doctors will let you try mutiple pairs to see how it works for you. Sizes and correction vary from manufacturer. We live in a dry climate and I have no problems with them at all.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a fun time trying to read the name off the frames, since I can't see very well without my glasses!

But they're made by Innovative M/F Technology. I did a web search and came up empty handed, but several eyeglass stores knew what I was talking about when I was looking for them.

Az

Embrace the weirdness. primaryreality's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Motobecane
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Az B
    I use a frame that has magnetic clip on sunglasses over the prescription lens.

Az
    Second this. My new glasses came with the magnetic shades, and I love them.

Any optician should be able to steer you to frame companies that offer this either as in include or an option; my frames are made by "L'Amy" but I imagine there are others too.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A friend of mind was as blind as a bat without his glasses, bifocals by the way. It was not often that we had to use reading glasses on rides, so he decided to use contact lense for distance sight and wear normal Cycling goggles. This worked for him and if it ever came to having to read small print, he used to ask me to read it for him. Then it was stop time, fumble in the back pocket and out would come my glasses case. I have good distance sight, but do need the reading glasses for anything less than LARGE BOLD print. We may both have had failing sight, but between us we worked it out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use Rudy Proj. Kerosene w/ RX inserts, non-bifocal. I can't read the small characters on the bike computer but that doesn't bother me much. What is a problem is that the RX insert is flexed to conform to the wrap-around shape and therefore the RX is changed. I feel that I need the wrap-around to keep the leaves and flying fish out but find the distortion distressing. Anyone have a solution???

zac
    My Bikes
    I just ride them, they own me.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I feel your pain!

I ride with Tifosi's so I'll give you a link to their online site for prescription riding lenses.
    http://www.firstshades.com/Prescriptions.htm

I now ride (actually all sports) exclusively with contacts. However, due to my recent bifocul-ness I cannot see the smaller stuff on my computer. Getting older sucks.

No matter how you go, it is usually an expensive option. I recall the days when I used to buy BollÚ sunglasses for skiing and have my optomologist cannabilize the frames and make new prescription lenses polarized and UV. Now this was 20+ years ago, and need I say it was expensive, but this was the only option other than wearing glasses under a pair of goggles.

Zac

My Bikes
    Trek 5500, Colnago C-50
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All of those problems went away after LASIK surgery. 20/20 both eyes for life, and it doesn't take long for the cost to payout from the savings of not needing bifocals. I do need reading glasses but the distance vision is perfect and the depth perception is incredible. The world is a beautiful place. Absolutely the best money I ever spent.

Al

My Bikes
    Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Al1943
    All of those problems went away after LASIK surgery. 20/20 both eyes for life, and it doesn't take long for the cost to payout from the savings of not needing bifocals. I do need reading glasses but the distance vision is perfect and the depth perception is incredible. The world is a beautiful place. Absolutely the best money I ever spent.
    I shouldn't have to point out that LASIK does nothing for the bifocal problem. Your eyes naturally lose about 1 diopter of focusing range per decade after about age 30. So even if we have perfect far vision, most of us will need reading glasses eventually. If you don't - it's not the LASIK, it's because you have good genetics or something. My wife had LASIK done about ten years ago. No glasses for years, until just recently she has started needing reading glasses for closeup stuff.

I've been using contacts and cheap sunglasses while riding, but for the past year or two that combination has left me unable to read menus at our stops. Those stick-on bifocals look like a good idea, if they work. Otherwise, I'll have to carry a small pair of reading glasses in my seat bag.

My Bikes
    Trek 5500, Colnago C-50
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
    I shouldn't have to point out that LASIK does nothing for the bifocal problem.
    Actually LASIK does a lot to fix your bifocal problems, as in after LASIK you probably will never need bifocals again. You are correct about needing reading glasses with age, a condition called presbyopia, it's due to a hardening within the eyes making it difficult to focus up close. But after your distance vision is corrected reading glasses are all that is needed, I don't need to read menus or books while riding my bike or driving a car. I keep several pairs of cheap ($10) granny style reading glasses stashed in places where I will need them. On the bike I have no use for glasses other than my normal Rudy sunglasses. I have no problems reading my computer, even the small numbers. And I can see much better than I ever could with contacts or glasses. My wife's eyes (previously far-sighted) were also corrected with LASIK and she also has no need for bifocals, ever. Several of my friends would tell you the same.

Al

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All of those problems went away after LASIK surgery.
    Unfortunately, Lasik won't have any affect on my various sight problems according to my doctor.

Az

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zac
    I feel your pain!

Now this was 20+ years ago, and need I say it was expensive, but this was the only option other than wearing glasses under a pair of goggles.

Zac
    I used to be in motor sport and several of the other drivers used to wear glasses. This was in the days before full face helmets and they used to wear their glasses under a pair of SKI goggles. May look a bit wierd, but recently I have seen several offroaders in the UK using the same system. They still look wierd, but the goggles are effective and becoming the latest trick part over here. I've tried them but don't like them, but worth a try.

My Bikes
    Trek 5500, Colnago C-50
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Az B
    Unfortunately, Lasik won't have any affect on my various sight problems according to my doctor.

Az
    Sorry, sometimes I forget that some people aren't able to benefit from LASIK.

My Bikes
    Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually LASIK does a lot to fix your bifocal problems, as in after LASIK you probably will never need bifocals again.
    LOL. OK, I get your point. With no far correction, your glasses will only need to have a reading correction. But that's true if you wear contacts, too. Hmm... those stick-on things are looking better all the time!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
    LOL. OK, I get your point. With no far correction, your glasses will only need to have a reading correction. But that's true if you wear contacts, too. Hmm... those stick-on things are looking better all the time!

Try bifocal contact lenses. I think they are great. In the early days (before I needed them) the design was a weighted lens but today they have developed a lens that looks kind of like a target with different corrections in different circles. Amazing how the mind figures it out.

zac
    My Bikes
    I just ride them, they own me.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam
    I used to be in motor sport and several of the other drivers used to wear glasses. This was in the days before full face helmets and they used to wear their glasses under a pair of SKI goggles. May look a bit wierd, but recently I have seen several offroaders in the UK using the same system. They still look wierd, but the goggles are effective and becoming the latest trick part over here. I've tried them but don't like them, but worth a try.
    My post was not very clear. Yes, I know glasses go easily under some goggles. But I didn't always ski with goggles. So presciption sunglasses were required, and really the only good ones for skiing also shielded the wind (like the BollÚs).

Peace
    Zac

My Bikes
    1984 Trek 520; 1990s Peugeot (Canadian-made) rigid mountain bike; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use cheap plastic clip-on/flip-up sunglasses with my prescription bifocals.
    RGC

Senior Curmudgeon
    My Bikes
    Electra Townie 1-speed with basket & fenders
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What I did was buy some distance-only prescription shades (less than $50) and then keep my bifocals in the bike pouch. Swap them when I need them. Works for me...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast