Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A Beautiful Ride

I'm leading my first club ride this Sunday and took off today to pre-ride the route. The weather here in NJ is beautiful. Around 68F, sunny and 30% humidity. If you're familiar with the area, I started just past Clinton, near Rt. 78, south to Frenchtown, south along the Delaware River to Stockton, up past the covered bridge at Sergeantsville, and back. 42 mi, and avgd. 17.8 mph on rolling terrain. If I'd known I was going to be so close to an 18 avg., I would have hit it a little harder at the beginning. When I started out, I was all "I really don't like riding alone" and was wishing that I had someone to ride with. Then I started getting into the flow (yea, I know, endorphins kicking in). I had planned to stop for a nice lunch along the river, but as I was flying along, stopping just didn't seem right. After today, I think I'm going to try to schedule a day off each week while the weather is still nice - sounds a whole lot more rational than getting to the end of the year with lots of vacation days that I'd just loose... Anyway, this being the 50+ forum and all, I just thought that I'd post this to hopefully get a few other people to reconsider their priorities.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There must be something about this time of year, (see 1st night ride) but you are right. Any chance to get out on the bike at this time of the year is well worth it. Just face it, there are going to be a lot of days from now on when the weather and daylight are going to be against you. I do not do it often, but riding alone takes a bit of courage if you are used to riding partners, but once done will lead you to a level inside you that you did not realise you had. You go at your pace, but no-one to chase up the hills, no-one to draught off of, no-one to slow you down by being slow up the hills, will show you that you are not as slow a rider as your mates keep telling you.