Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 39 of 39
  1. #26
    Time for a change. stapfam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Posts
    19,915
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryAnn
    So, guys, I didn't win the auction. The bike went for $1110 and I'm glad I was at work and couldn't fight 'til the death because I only paid $1200 for my bike new. Ta Ta for now!
    M.A.
    Glad you didn't!!! Just looked at the picture and spec on E-Bay and $1,000 for a 10 year old bike is definitely not cheap. After looking at it, I would have said less than 50% of that as a higher price. No I do not have a bike to sell you.

    At this time of year, dealers are trying to offload 2005 model bikes. $1,000 wil buy you a lot of bike in one of these sales, like a new one costing 1500 could be down to around this price. OK. It may not be the same as your bike, Drivetrain may be cheaper, but Frames and ancilliaries have got better over the year, in particular from 10 years ago, and will be lighter and more efficient.

    Glad you did not get it, but do not be disappointed. You now have the chance to get an improvement on your current bike, at less cost than you were planning.

  2. #27
    Get A Life - Get A Bike cheeseflavor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Minnesota, You Betcha!
    My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix, Bianchi San Jose, '87 Schwinn Super Sport
    Posts
    1,042
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like it was relisted and the original winner never paid. As a few others have pointed out, that did seem like a lot of money for a bike that age. I think the newer Allez' are going for around that, aren't they? Sequioa's are pretty nice too.

    Steve

  3. #28
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    23
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like you, I am monitoring eBay in hopes of finding a duplicate of My bike, a Lemond Zurich, for use in San Diego this winter when we visit our two kids who have moved there from Marblehead, MA. I love the Zurich. I had thoughts of buying a less expensive road bike for use in California. But, the Zurich is so comfortable and such a joy to ride I decided that at age 67 there is no sane reason why I should have to compromise and adapt to another bike. So, if you are nuts for buying a duplicate bike to keep in California, you have company. Keep looking for that bike.

    John

  4. #29
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    92
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam
    Glad you didn't!!! Just looked at the picture and spec on E-Bay and $1,000 for a 10 year old bike is definitely not cheap. After looking at it, I would have said less than 50% of that as a higher price. No I do not have a bike to sell you.

    At this time of year, dealers are trying to offload 2005 model bikes. $1,000 wil buy you a lot of bike in one of these sales, like a new one costing 1500 could be down to around this price. OK. It may not be the same as your bike, Drivetrain may be cheaper, but Frames and ancilliaries have got better over the year, in particular from 10 years ago, and will be lighter and more efficient.

    Glad you did not get it, but do not be disappointed. You now have the chance to get an improvement on your current bike, at less cost than you were planning.
    It wasn't a 10-year-old bike it was a 2004 which made it actually a 1 year old bike. I don't believe for a minute that it only had 200 miles on it. I believe the COMPUTER he installed had 200 miles on it. But it wasn't a 10 year old bike.

  5. #30
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    92
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cheeseflavor
    Looks like it was relisted and the original winner never paid. As a few others have pointed out, that did seem like a lot of money for a bike that age. I think the newer Allez' are going for around that, aren't they? Sequioa's are pretty nice too.

    Steve
    You're kidding! I've got to look that up! Are you sure it's the same seller?

  6. #31
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    92
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by johnvale
    Like you, I am monitoring eBay in hopes of finding a duplicate of My bike, a Lemond Zurich, for use in San Diego this winter when we visit our two kids who have moved there from Marblehead, MA. I love the Zurich. I had thoughts of buying a less expensive road bike for use in California. But, the Zurich is so comfortable and such a joy to ride I decided that at age 67 there is no sane reason why I should have to compromise and adapt to another bike. So, if you are nuts for buying a duplicate bike to keep in California, you have company. Keep looking for that bike.

    John
    Hope you find your bike, John. I'll keep an eye out for you myself. I say if you're comfortable and feel safe on a particular bike go for it if you want another one in another location. What size and year are you looking for?

  7. #32
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    92
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cheeseflavor
    Looks like it was relisted and the original winner never paid. As a few others have pointed out, that did seem like a lot of money for a bike that age. I think the newer Allez' are going for around that, aren't they? Sequioa's are pretty nice too.

    Steve
    I think you guys are looking at the wrong ebay thing. It's an allez comp and its a 2004. So I don't understand "a bike that age" comment. It's not a 10 year old bike it's a new bike. Bought last year. And the newer Allez comps are going for the same price with 105 components instead of Ultegra and the MSRP is $1700. So with that info I figured that $1000 for a bike I know and that I want and can not be found in a lbs is worth it to me. I just trying to make you all understand my thinking. Now I wouldn't have bike more than $1000 which I didn't because even though the MSRP was $1600 when I bought mine I only paid $1200 because it was the end of the season and they were dumping the steel frames I'm sure. All in all, it was worth a grand to me but not more and that's the way it turned out. Also here's the site and it says it's sold so I don't think the buyer reneged. Check it out:

    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1

  8. #33
    Get A Life - Get A Bike cheeseflavor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Minnesota, You Betcha!
    My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix, Bianchi San Jose, '87 Schwinn Super Sport
    Posts
    1,042
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryAnn
    I think you guys are looking at the wrong ebay thing. It's an allez comp and its a 2004. So I don't understand "a bike that age" comment. It's not a 10 year old bike it's a new bike. Bought last year. And the newer Allez comps are going for the same price with 105 components instead of Ultegra and the MSRP is $1700. So with that info I figured that $1000 for a bike I know and that I want and can not be found in a lbs is worth it to me. I just trying to make you all understand my thinking. Now I wouldn't have bike more than $1000 which I didn't because even though the MSRP was $1600 when I bought mine I only paid $1200 because it was the end of the season and they were dumping the steel frames I'm sure. All in all, it was worth a grand to me but not more and that's the way it turned out. Also here's the site and it says it's sold so I don't think the buyer reneged. Check it out:

    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1
    Ooops. I clicked on the first link that you provided in an earlier post, which turns out was for a search for "specialized allez comp road bike" and it returned one result. The result just *happened* to be for a bike that the seller stated was relisted due to the buyer not paying. I just assumed it was your bike that was the one I was looking at.

    No, a 2004 certainly isn't an old bike

    Sorry for the confusion!

    Steve

  9. #34
    Senior Member glassman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    627
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryAnn
    I think you guys are looking at the wrong ebay thing. It's an allez comp and its a 2004. So I don't understand "a bike that age" comment. It's not a 10 year old bike it's a new bike. Bought last year. And the newer Allez comps are going for the same price with 105 components instead of Ultegra and the MSRP is $1700. So with that info I figured that $1000 for a bike I know and that I want and can not be found in a lbs is worth it to me. I just trying to make you all understand my thinking. Now I wouldn't have bike more than $1000 which I didn't because even though the MSRP was $1600 when I bought mine I only paid $1200 because it was the end of the season and they were dumping the steel frames I'm sure. All in all, it was worth a grand to me but not more and that's the way it turned out. Also here's the site and it says it's sold so I don't think the buyer reneged. Check it out:

    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1

    I think you have to be careful on ebay. The seller had only 4 feedback. The bike did look good, you will find another one. Good Luck.

  10. #35
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    92
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cheeseflavor
    Ooops. I clicked on the first link that you provided in an earlier post, which turns out was for a search for "specialized allez comp road bike" and it returned one result. The result just *happened* to be for a bike that the seller stated was relisted due to the buyer not paying. I just assumed it was your bike that was the one I was looking at.

    No, a 2004 certainly isn't an old bike

    Sorry for the confusion!

    Steve
    Easy enough to do! I didn't even see that one. I've got to stay away from Ebay because I'm a confirmed bike-aholic! And it's sooooo easy to bid.

  11. #36
    Time for a change. stapfam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Posts
    19,915
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryAnn
    It wasn't a 10-year-old bike it was a 2004 which made it actually a 1 year old bike. I don't believe for a minute that it only had 200 miles on it. I believe the COMPUTER he installed had 200 miles on it. But it wasn't a 10 year old bike.
    Must have got the wrong link, BUT-- Buyer beware is always the byword on any non Franchised purchase. As Far as I am concerned, any secondhand item, even if it is in mint condition, starts off at a price of 50% of new the day after it is purchased new. Above that, I would want to see and try, and it would have to be in Mint condition to go much above that price. Buying second hand you would not have any warranty rights, and if any faults were found, you would have no redress.

    I still suggest looking out for an end of year bargain from a local or even National shop, where you will get the backup and warranty that I would expect and as the sale price could be 1/3 off retail, would be a better and safer buy than buying on E-bay

  12. #37
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    92
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam
    Must have got the wrong link, BUT-- Buyer beware is always the byword on any non Franchised purchase. As Far as I am concerned, any secondhand item, even if it is in mint condition, starts off at a price of 50% of new the day after it is purchased new. Above that, I would want to see and try, and it would have to be in Mint condition to go much above that price. Buying second hand you would not have any warranty rights, and if any faults were found, you would have no redress.

    I still suggest looking out for an end of year bargain from a local or even National shop, where you will get the backup and warranty that I would expect and as the sale price could be 1/3 off retail, would be a better and safer buy than buying on E-bay
    Sounds like really good advice to me. And I think you've got a good guideline going knocking 50% off of the price of a bike when it walks out the door. But, on the other hand, you might be missing a good bike if you're too rigid about it, don'tcha think? But, thanks. I'll try to keep that in mind. And you're so right about when you buy off the internet you have no idea what you're really getting. Could be a lovely photo but the deraileur could be trashed, etc. I am definitely learning. And isn't that what life is all about? I am so happy I had the input of all you cyclists I have never met that I am going to pay my dues and become a contributing member of Bike Forums and have a red star next to my name. And it's only because I really value all of your collective advice and think it's so worth it. Now, if I can just figure out how to get my red star. Hmmmmm...................
    TTYL
    M.A.

  13. #38
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    92
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cool. I got my star and it was retroactive. Nice touch Joe!

  14. #39
    rides a lot
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    san jose, ca.
    My Bikes
    3 road & 2 mountain
    Posts
    4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi!!!
    MaryAnn as stapfam suggest I would get to Ca and check the local shops for a sale on a ultegra bike.....with a warranty and local service on it. ebay bikes..I've bought three have worked out fair but for one who left off damaged $88 rim. most of the gearing on two of them were worn but still useable,one like new from the state of Ca. auction recovered bike...it had a bad wheel as noted. this is something you don't want to be worrying about when you visit your son. if I had the money I've invested in the bikes I bought I would 've been riding a new top line one. you should have one too. by the way the way gas prices are going, when they hit $5 + you might be able to sell it at double when all stores sell out. hahaha
    can't have too many bikes now can you????
    Last edited by eaamon; 10-04-05 at 09:15 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •