Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    Electra Townie 1
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New saddle today - half century tomorrow?

For my daily 20 mile exercise ride today, I put a new saddle on my red racer. The saddle is a Fizik Dolomiti. If I had to describe this saddle in a word, the word would be "skeletal." This saddle has a narrow rear that quickly tapers to a long, narrow nose. The plastic bottom pan is serrated in the middle and up the saddle's nose to provide a "springy" surface forward of the sit flare at the rear.

Surprisingly, the saddle seems to work fine. Unlike the Brooks B-17 or even the split-tail Specialized Milano saddle, you don't so much as sit on the Fizik as you do perch over it. Although all your weight is on the lightly-padded sit platform, there seems to be little or no pressure at all on the perineum. This lack of perineal pressure seems to reduce numbness.

Since the saddle is so narrow, there is nothing to rub against the insides of the thighs, as there is with saddles that taper toward the nose more gradually.

The long nose allows good control of the bike when riding "no hands." Also, since the sit bones are supported by such an abbreviated platform, the least bit of hip roll fore or aft seems to provide a different pressure point for the bottom. This is definitely not a "support the cheeks" type of saddle!

Since a "cool front" came through here last night and tomorrow's temperature at wake up is supposed to be in the 60's, I think I may try my "ride your age" excursion in the morning. I'm thinking that I'll try it with the Fizik saddle on the bike. By tomorrow noon, I may HATE the Fizik, but for the first 20 miles I put on it today, it seems to work fine! I'll update this post after the next long ride & let y'all know.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good luck- I wouldn't change a single thing before a ride that long...

Knows Bigfoot's Momma
    My Bikes
    yeah; got a couple...
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My only advice is to take a wrench along for minor attitude adjustment (the saddle angle, not yours). Have fun!
    nice lugs baby!

Berry Pie..the Holy Grail GrannyGear's Avatar
    Weaving thru the cowpud outside Modesto CA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The conservative part of me says there are better times to try out so crucial a piece of gear than a "special" ride. But, then again, some of my very best experiences in the saddle and off have been when I cut loose and just spontaneously went for it. One good way to fight off the slow stiffening of middle age. Sure, it may be a "pain in the ass", but enjoy your ride (comfortably) right up the wazoo!
    ..... "I renewed my youth, to outward appearance, by mounting a bicycle for the first time." Mark Twain, Speeches

Get A Life - Get A Bike cheeseflavor's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix, Bianchi San Jose, '87 Schwinn Super Sport
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FarHorizon
    Since a "cool front" came through here last night and tomorrow's temperature at wake up is supposed to be in the 60's, I think I may try my "ride your age" excursion in the morning. I'm thinking that I'll try it with the Fizik saddle on the bike. By tomorrow noon, I may HATE the Fizik, but for the first 20 miles I put on it today, it seems to work fine! I'll update this post after the next long ride & let y'all know.
    Good luck! I sort of did that with the Brooks. The first 20 was fine, but the next night - Ouch! But, with the Alias that I settled, it worked from the start without any pain on any length ride so far. Someone else mentioned it, but be sure to bring something to adjust it with.

This one is a bit narrower and a lot softer than your Milano, correct? How is it for soaking up road buzz (like on chip seal roads) and other roughness?

Steve

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't.

My Bikes
    Electra Townie 1
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK - When I went to bed last night I noticed some soreness (bruising) at my sit bones. I can only attribute it to the Fizik saddle (maybe there is something to my force over area theory of saddle comfort). So this morning, I yanked the Fizik, reinstalled the Specialized Milano, and rode 55 miles!

I know this insn't a significant achievement for most of y'all, but it is the most consecutive miles I've pedaled since 1972! Total elapsed time = 4 hours (this time includes a stop every 30 minutes for stretch & drink). Rough speed = 14 mph (actually somewhat more because of the breaks).

Highlights of the ride: A fox crossed the road in front of me, ran to the top of the Mississippi river levee, and stood like a statue watching me until I pedaled out of sight around the next bend. The smell of wood smoke as the farmers are still burning their brush piles of hurricane limbs.

Fun, fun, fun!

My Bikes
    1984 Peugeot P8; 2006 Trek 5200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations FH!!
    Another birthday rider. I haven't counted them all up lately, but it seems the list of riders is getting pretty long. Glad you had a good ride.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK - When I went to bed last night I noticed some soreness (bruising) at my sit bones. I can only attribute it to the Fizik saddle (maybe there is something to my force over area theory of saddle comfort). So this morning, I yanked the Fizik, reinstalled the Specialized Milano, and rode 55 miles!
    Probably a good choice

Maybe we should set up a saddle exchange, so users can share saddles (for tryout purposes only) that are sitting around collecting dust. You know... what doesn't work for one may for someone else?

You should try an Alias. I think you'd like it. I've seen some on eBay for as little as $60. Oddly, I just sold an Avatar (unused) that went for $62, which was what the Aliases are going for, and the Alias is a better saddle.

Steve

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FarHorizon....congratulations on your achievement...all achievements are relative and yours was far beyond what average people our age are capable of or willing to do. Besides, the wood smoke scent and the fox made it doubly worthwhile.

***I like Cheeseflavor's saddle exchange idea....it gets expensive trying to find the "ultimate" saddle.
    ..... "I renewed my youth, to outward appearance, by mounting a bicycle for the first time." Mark Twain, Speeches

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GrannyGear
    FarHorizon....congratulations on your achievement...all achievements are relative and yours was far beyond what average people our age are capable of or willing to do.
    Exactly! All you have to do is take a look around at acquaintances - coworkers, friends, people on the street - that are our age and you just KNOW that you're in the minority. I really wonder sometimes what the percentages are. I mean, are we doing what only 5% of the people our age group are doing? 10%? Heck, I know people half my age that couldn't keep up with any of us here.

OK... My shoulder is sore from patting myself on the back. Time to get off my self-appointed pedestal and back to work

Steve

My Bikes
    Electra Townie 1
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I REALLY LIKE the saddle exchange idea. I'd be FAR more comfy exchanging with 50+ fourm members than the posters in the road cycling forum...

Any idea how to make it work?

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I REALLY LIKE the saddle exchange idea. I'd be FAR more comfy exchanging with 50+ fourm members than the posters in the road cycling forum...

Any idea how to make it work?
    I don't know. Linda and I were talking about that earlier today. I'm open to the idea if we can think of a way of making it work. Postage would be about $7 flat rate each way.

Hmmm.... any ideas anyone?

Steve

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    RE: SADDLE X-CHANGE.......

I'm a computer numb-nut, but FWIW what about a "permanent" sticky up at the top, at least for a while to see if it works. Posters could just list saddles that were available and others could reply by email. When a saddle was gone, we'd have to be responsible for listing that it was gone, then removing the post. Might be too complicated-- or maybe not. DenvrFox might be the one to consult here....DF-- you out there?