Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 10-04-05, 05:02 AM   #1
Savas

Bikes:
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Suffering irritable bowel syndrome during long rides

Has anyone had occasion to need a bathroom on a somewhat emergency basis while enroute to somewhere? This can be a vexing problem for some. It can drain the fun out of an outing. I recently ate an abundance of cheese and found out about lactose intolerance the hard way. Lucky that I made it to a bathroom somewhere. This will actually make me change my ways and eat more sensibly.
Savas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-05, 06:56 AM   #2
DnvrFox
Banned.

Bikes:
Quote:
Has anyone had occasion to need a bathroom on a somewhat emergency basis while enroute to somewhere?
I am not sure that would be classified as IBS.

I think many of us need to watch the foods we eat prior to a ride. I certainly would eat no chocolate, for example.

Last edited by DnvrFox; 10-04-05 at 12:43 PM.
DnvrFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-05, 10:10 AM   #3
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
My wife has suffered with IBS for years. It usually happens on trips, where (no matter what she eats) I've learned to drive around the block before leaving the vicinity of the restaurant and hitting the road. Having multiple bathrooms in our new house helps too; so I don't have to bail off 'the throne' to make room for an emergency.

If it's just related to a few foods, then simply learn to avoid them. I suppose you could take a preventive dose of Immodium (an OTC drug), but personally I'm loathe to use drugs unless the need is there first.
BlazingPedals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-05, 03:19 PM   #4
Terex

Bikes:
Take an Acidophilus supplement, that and better manage your diet. Try to eat fresh things. Have oatmeal with a banana for breakfast before you ride. Limit or eliminate coffee. Regarding lactose, a friend recommened http://www.notmilk.com/ I havn't gotten into it yet, but I already limit lactose in my diet. But, as the famous french gourmand, Brillat-Savarin wrote in The Physiology of Taste in 1825, "A desert without cheese is like a beautiful woman with only one eye."
Terex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-05, 03:41 PM   #5
GrannyGear
Berry Pie..the Holy Grail

Bikes:
My daughter has "IBS"...a sort of amorphous disorder that seems (for her) not always predictable or reasonable. Sometimes a certain food will get a reaction, sometimes not. Also depends on emotions as well as diet. For some reason, being away from home seems to sometimes trigger it. Exercise in any form has never been related to our experience with IBS. But, it seems such an idiosyncratic sort of disorder, who can tell. Following a somewhat strict eating regime has been a help. You might try Googling IBS diets. (And carry a packet of tissues along!)
Old 10-04-05, 03:42 PM   #6
BJ Ondo
"Old & Slow Rider"

Bikes: 2005 Fuji Monterey Comfort/Hybrids
My problem is that I can't eat anything big while riding! When on a club FUN Ride, they all stop and have a big lunch, I have to eat a saliad, if I even eat a hamburger and then ride, I get knotted up inside and the bowels have a field day, either not working or working too well the next day!! I'm sure I have IBS, as I can go into days of constipation while on a road trip, car, bicycle, motorcycle it doesn't matter.

I have to get up a min. of 2hrs. before I ride, work, ect. and pray for a movement before I do any real activitys. On top of all this, I've got the family curse, painful reaccuring hemoriads so the IBS just makes a bad thing worse! I wasn't sure I could even ride a bicycle becuase of the problems but the comfort seat make miles with no real problems as long as I don't eat a "meal" when riding.

I usually eat a homemade oatmeal/fruit bar and drink one bottle of waterbottle of water and one of poweraid (gatoraid has too much salt when it gets warm, yuck!!) and then have a saliad for lunch and I'm fine thru the balance of the ride and the next morning! It's a bummer, the piles of pasta, etc. sure look yummie but there will be hell to pay if I do!
BJ Ondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-05, 04:07 PM   #7
brokenrobot
Sweetened with Splenda

Bikes: Too many 80s roadbikes!
I've had a pretty amazing lifestyle change just as a result of massively increasing the amount of soluble fiber in my diet, initially through supplements (acacia fiber and / or citrucel) and increasingly through managing my diet (low carb pasta has 5 or 6 times the fiber in normal pasta, brown ride more than white, etc)... it's well worth a try for those who suffer IBS symptoms! Contrary to popular belief, fiber supplements do NOT necessarily result in an increased need to "go" - they regulate the bowel's movement by helping to keep it at a constant level of full-ness, so that the system doesn't shock itself into action when you eat and then stop between meals, which can result in trouble.
brokenrobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-05, 04:09 PM   #8
GrannyGear
Berry Pie..the Holy Grail

Bikes:
On the upside, you're probably a heck of a lot thinner and healthier than the rest of us snout deep in pasta and primerib. I can eat that stuff, but before a ride, or during a ride, just don't feel comfortable eating so much. After a ride, although exercise is supposed to diminsh an appetite, I eat like a pig. From 54 on up to my current 58 my appetite in general has diminshed unless I'm riding hard or frequently.

I continue to be impressed here at this forum with how many people ride despite problems, setbacks, inhibiters of all sorts. Older riders get the True Grit award for sure.