User Tag List

My Bikes
    Sun EZ Sport, Schwinn Mesa
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

best anti-fog for glasses

I found the best stuff for keeping your glasses from fogging up during cold mornings. It's called Cat Crap...
    check it out I have had all kinds of trouble with my glasses on my way to work early in the morning. I used this stuff and my glasses no longer fog up.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use a cycling goggle and never have them fog up, but most of my riding partners suffer with this problem. Thats wrong!! I suffer with their problem. Uphills they have to stop and take the goggles off, and then at the top, stop and put them back on.

Easy cure is to move the goggles away from the face a bit to stop them steaming up. As I say, I don't suffer from this problem but most of my mates do.

Get A Life - Get A Bike cheeseflavor's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix, Bianchi San Jose, '87 Schwinn Super Sport
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gew0419
    I found the best stuff for keeping your glasses from fogging up during cold mornings. It's called Cat Crap...
    check it out I have had all kinds of trouble with my glasses on my way to work early in the morning. I used this stuff and my glasses no longer fog up.
    Not so sure about this stuff... I've got prescription sunglasses (the wrap around kind) that use solely for biking, and the cat crap scratched the heck out of them. They now have permenant swirls in them. I know they claim it to be safe with plastic lenses, but I found out otherwise. The lenses I use are photochromatic, so I'm not sure if that caused problems, but....

It *did* however, help stop the fogging.

I've also read (and tried) putting a drop of dishsoap on, letting it dry, and then buffing it off. It works for a day or two.

Take care,

Steve

zac
    My Bikes
    I just ride them, they own me.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cheeseflavor
    Not so sure about this stuff... I've got prescription sunglasses (the wrap around kind) that use solely for biking, and the cat crap scratched the heck out of them. They now have permenant swirls in them. I know they claim it to be safe with plastic lenses, but I found out otherwise. The lenses I use are photochromatic, so I'm not sure if that caused problems, but....

It *did* however, help stop the fogging.

I've also read (and tried) putting a drop of dishsoap on, letting it dry, and then buffing it off. It works for a day or two.

Take care,

Steve

I have used cat crap for years. Swirl scrapes = user error, dont blame the defogger, whatever it is (dish soap, spit, whatever). You should always wipe a plastic lens in one direction only. Preferably from center/nose bridge, outward. You should only apply a defogger to an absolutely clean lens: eg. get and use a lens cleaner first. Lastly you should only use your fingers (if clean) or the approved cleaning cloth that came with your lenses. (Never use paper towels, they are apprasive.)

I have never needed a defogger for bike glasses, however I have used cat crap on my and my family's ski glasses and goggles. The little tub will last for years, I still have and use my original two. You should only have to apply it once or twice a season.

peace
    zac

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zac
    I have used cat crap for years. Swirl scrapes = user error, dont blame the defogger, whatever it is (dish soap, spit, whatever). You should always wipe a plastic lens in one direction only. Preferably from center/nose bridge, outward. You should only apply a defogger to an absolutely clean lens: eg. get and use a lens cleaner first. Lastly you should only use your fingers (if clean) or the approved cleaning cloth that came with your lenses. (Never use paper towels, they are apprasive.)
    Hi Zac. It's entirely possible that it was user error. I certainly know not to use paper towels or similar on plastic lenses (been wearing glasses for 35 years) and I've always been very, very careful with them. Up until using Cat Crap, I had no problems. That's why I suspected it.

YMMV, of course.

Take care!

Steve

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Back to proper Cycling goggles. I use Rudy Project and my co rider on the Tandem has a no name so called "Sports Specific". Tonight on the ride, he fogged up badly and put them in his pocket. I loaned him mine to see if they were better and they were. I used his in the meantime and they fogged up again.

I still say that a good quality pair of Cycling goggles work better than other sunglasses. This does not help for those that have to wear ordinary glasses, so I am just throwing a spanner in the works. Incidentally, The best anti fog I found when wearing goggles in motor racing, was a very slight film of washing up liquid. Used this for years and it worked.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Zac. It's entirely possible that it was user error. I certainly know not to use paper towels or similar on plastic lenses (been wearing glasses for 35 years) and I've always been very, very careful with them. Up until using Cat Crap, I had no problems. That's why I suspected it.

YMMV, of course.

Take care!

Steve
    what is YMMV???

My Bikes
    '73 Schwinn Varsity, 1964 Schwinn Racer, 1954 Schwinn Jaguar, 1950's Puch Bergmeister, 1980 Schwinn High Plains, 1973 Flandria, 1980's Diamondback Sorrento, 2001 Jamis Aurora
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Your Milage May Vary"...

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gew0419
    what is YMMV???
    Your Mileage May Vary

Steve

zac
    My Bikes
    I just ride them, they own me.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

YMMV, of course.

Take care!

Steve
    Steve, that sucks, sorry to hear that. Life long corrective lens wearer myself 8)
    Perhaps you got a bad batch...but swirl pattern scratches are always bad especially for sun glare, road glare...etc.

peace
    zac

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last year I spotted a new type of antifog utilizing nanotech particles, called Clarity Antifog Cleaner. Comes in a 3 pack of dry clothes. Must get wiped on to a clean lens, and lasts for a few rides, depending on how humid it is outside.

It has been working better than Cat Crap for me, notable when stopped at a light my glasses do not fog up. I've been using the same cloth for about 3 months and have two more left.

http://www.nanofilm.cc/lens_care/fog_index.htm

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Baggsy
    "Your Milage May Vary"...
    Thank you...

My Bikes