I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Working from home...

I work from my home. Self-discipline can be a problem. Staying focused. Getting work done. You understand.

Right now, I have an hour or so that I should use filing some stuff, clearing off the desk, returning a phone call or two. Perhaps even planning a future project.

I've already had a nice one-hour ride this morning before work.

I glance at the piles of paper. I think of how nice it would be to be outside on the bike. I glance at the paper again. I think again. I glance, I think, I glance, I think.

If anyone calls, tell 'em I had a meeting. I'm going for another ride. Be back in an hour!
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

Gravel for Breakfast
    My Bikes
    Jake
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Gee
    I glance at the piles of paper. I think of how nice it would be to be outside on the bike. I glance at the paper again. I think again. I glance, I think, I glance, I think.
    You deserve a ride! You've already done most of the thinking and glancing. The paperwork's the easy part.
    Sin after sin I have endured, but the wounds I bear are the wounds of love.

just over the next hill cruzMOKS's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Bianchi Volpe 2006 Fuji Tahoe
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyway, paper work is easier when you're tired.

Senior Curmudgeon
    My Bikes
    Electra Townie 1-speed with basket & fenders
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Man, we ARE separated at birth! I work at home too and have to FORCE myself sometimes to do what I should be doing. I plan my daily ride either in the morning or in the evening so I can then focus on my work instead of pining to be elsewhere. On special occasions, I'll quit the grind and just go ride or go work on something else. Time is all we've got, and whether we know it or not our supply is limited. Make the most of yours doing things that matter to you!

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am not fortunate enough to work from home, but there are the normal mundane household chores that I keep looking at, planning how to do them, when to do them, and that is as far as I get. Far more important things to do like preparing the bike, washing the bike, lubing the bike, getting on the net to buy parts for the bike, and then the final bit of getting out on the bike.

How lucky you are where you can forget work and ride.

Stv
    My Bikes
    05 Specialized"Roubaix" Campy 10spd.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Working out of ones home as I have for the past twenty-five years or so is not everything the uninitiated thinks it is. Yes, we avoid the daily grind of a commute and pants are optional, even on a good day.
    However, as pointed out, staying motivated is very difficult to do, with limited peer contact one tends to easily slip into a vacuum working in such isolation.
    The most difficult issue for me is the fact that you can never leave your job. There is just NO separation whatsoever. It is always there staring you in the face. My job is in my home and leaving my work and its problems at the office just isn't an option for me.

Thankfully, my bike and a good ride gives me the respite that I often need.
    TODAYS OBJECTIVE: Avoid road splatter; my own, preferably.

My Bikes
    Giant Kronos, Miele Appolo, Miele 12 spd, Diamondback Hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I work from where ever I happen to be. I'm a real estate agent. On regular basis I deliver newsletters and promotional flyers to various neighbourhoods. Guess how I do it? I can usually count on a 3 hour ride every other day and better still, I can expense it!
    Around and around we go!

Get A Life - Get A Bike cheeseflavor's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix, Bianchi San Jose, '87 Schwinn Super Sport
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Gee
    I work from my home. Self-discipline can be a problem. Staying focused. Getting work done. You understand.

Right now, I have an hour or so that I should use filing some stuff, clearing off the desk, returning a phone call or two. Perhaps even planning a future project.

I've already had a nice one-hour ride this morning before work.

If anyone calls, tell 'em I had a meeting. I'm going for another ride. Be back in an hour!
    You are my idol, sir.

Take a bow.

Steve

Gios
    My Bikes
    Pinnacle Rokh, Look 586, Merckx Corsa 01
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If only I could get out for an hour.

My ride requires me to negotiate a good 20 minutes of traffic, industrial estates, red lights and impatient truck drivers. It's only then that I get out of town and onto my biking roads. So .. although I mainly work from home, I find that either I take a whole morning off to ride for 3 hours or so, or .. i get on the trainer.

My Bikes
    Litespeed Blueridge
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I work from home to, but have to keep constant communication with "the office", so my hours are still 7:30 - 4:30. Since it is still dark at 6 am there is no way I can go for an early morning ride, instead I walk my dog. If the weather is decent, I try and go for an afternoon "hour lunch" ride, but sometimes I feel guilty even doing that because someone from "the office" might call and need something. I have got in a few afternoon rides within the last couple of months, but now that it is staring to get dark earlier, I'm just not as motivated to get out and fight the rush hour traffic on my bike. When working from home, you can't just "leave it there", like Stv said, it is always staring you in the face. I'm the type of person who hates having work left undone--oh oh it's 7:30, time to go to work!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I work from home one day each week. I'm at home today. Two computers on the desk, one tied into the office VPN, the other monitoring BF or playing tunes. Discipline is very difficult. It helps to have a dedicated place in the home, like a home office, where you can shut the door and act like you're in a workplace. Also, if little kids are around, forget about it.