My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix, Bianchi San Jose, '87 Schwinn Super Sport
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GrannyGear
    Steve,
    Size is relative of course, but what width Alias are you using?....I think the 155mm Alias matches the 155mm width of a B-17. The next, middle-sized Alias is 143mm. My Regal is around 150mm as a reference.

I just traded Dan (thanks FarHorizon for our brief but glorious Parts Exchange!) a B-17 for his 155 Alias.
    David.
    Sounds like a good trade! I have the 155 Alias. My prior saddle was a B.17 Champion Special, and I think the Alias feels a bit narrower to me. I used the "assometer" at the LBS when I got the Alias and was measured at 143-155, so it was pretty much a toss between the two. It feels a bit flatter than the Brooks did. With the Brooks, I felt like I was balancing on the taint, with the Alias, it just sort of disappears under me.

I think you'll like it!

Steve

Get A Life - Get A Bike cheeseflavor's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by glassman
    How do you measure for proper width? Is there a chart somewhere that tells you?
    Specialized dealers have a measuring gauge, I call it the called the "assometer", which is a memory foam pad that you sit on for about a minute. When you get up, the indent of your sitbones is there and they measure it and compare it to a chart which gives you your measurement.

Steve

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cheeseflavor
    Specialized dealers have a measuring gauge, I call it the called the "assometer", which is a memory foam pad that you sit on for about a minute. When you get up, the indent of your sitbones is there and they measure it and compare it to a chart which gives you your measurement.

Steve
    Now that cracks me up (and no pun intended). I mean, it sounds like a good tool and serves a real purpose, but I just keep trying to imagine the engineer who said to himself, "What the world needs is a good assometer -- and I'm going to invent it!"

Guess it's a good thing he (she?) did, though.
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

Berry Pie..the Holy Grail GrannyGear's Avatar
    Weaving thru the cowpud outside Modesto CA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gary.........no more wise cracks. As for me, I'd better get crackin' here at work!
    ..... "I renewed my youth, to outward appearance, by mounting a bicycle for the first time." Mark Twain, Speeches

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After a 100 mile bike ride, I got what seems to be a fairly common numb knob. That felt the same as when your arm goes to sleep, no feeling there. That went away after a couple of hours but some other really troublesome problems persisted. For about one month, I had what seemed to be a nerve problem. There was just no sexual feeling left. There was also a blood flow problem that prevented erections. My doctor told me to stop riding for at least six months. After two months now, the nerve problem and blood flow are about 50% better. My doctor told me that he has a doctor friend that the same thing happened to and it took him 18 months to get back to normal.

I just bought a Specialized Avatar Gel saddle (similar to the Alias) which has the cutout to prevent the pressure that was caused by my old saddle. When I purchased my old saddle, I knew nothing about the different widths of saddles and purchased one that was too narrow for my body. The old saddle was nice and padded which, along with the narrowness, bunched up under my soft tissue causing the additional pressure in the wrong area. I finally learned about the Specialized "Assometer" and measured in about 135mm. So I went with the 155mm saddle. I've only taken two 5 mile rides to see if the saddle will be comfortable enough to ride after my six month haitus from riding.

So, the point of all of this is, don't take your bike saddle for granted. You hear about this stuff all the time but you never think it will happen to you. I suspect that this is a LOT more common than what we hear but it's such a sensitive subject that most people don't want to talk about it, much less let any of their friends know about their issues.

Has anyone else had this problem? How did it turn out for you and how long did it take to get back to normal?
    Last edited by Cheesy; 10-06-05 at 01:51 PM.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheesy
    So, the point of all of this is, don't take your bike saddle for granted. You hear about this stuff all the time but you never think it will happen to you. I suspect that this is a LOT more common than what we hear but it's such a sensitive subject that most people don't want to talk about it, much less let any of their friends know about their issues.

Has anyone else had this problem? How did it turn out for you and how long did it take to get back to normal?
    I haven't had it that severely. The worst case I've had it was numbness during a ride and for a couple of hours afterwards. Adjusting the saddle wouldn't help. I just couldn't make it work. Once I switched to the Alias, it went away.

Steve

Senior Curmudgeon
    My Bikes
    Electra Townie 1-speed with basket & fenders
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheesy
    ...I just bought a Specialized Avatar Gel saddle (similar to the Alias) which has the cutout to prevent the pressure that was caused by my old saddle....
    I'm a believer in perineal cutouts on saddles. The first one I tried (the Specialized Milano) was a MAJOR improvement to me over my Brooks B-17. I've got a Specialized Alias on order to try it out too. The only conventional looking saddle that gave no perenial pressure was the Fizik Dolomiti. That saddle had the under pan serrated to allow "give" in the perenial region. The sit-bone pressure, though, was too high for me to use the Fizik regularly.

If the tilt isn't right, you can STILL get perenial pressure from even the cutout saddles. Keep the nose down! You'll know it if the tilt is too high in front.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FarHorizon
    I'm a believer in perineal cutouts on saddles. The first one I tried (the Specialized Milano) was a MAJOR improvement to me over my Brooks B-17. I've got a Specialized Alias on order to try it out too. The only conventional looking saddle that gave no perenial pressure was the Fizik Dolomiti. That saddle had the under pan serrated to allow "give" in the perenial region. The sit-bone pressure, though, was too high for me to use the Fizik regularly.

If the tilt isn't right, you can STILL get perenial pressure from even the cutout saddles. Keep the nose down! You'll know it if the tilt is too high in front.
    What I did with my B.17 or more to the point felt I had to do was tilt the saddle down a bit. Below is a picture of the tilt I run on my B.17...or very close to it. The nose is actually level or perhaps even a degree or so up but the rear of the saddle is above the nose and hence if a level is placed on the saddle it is slightly nose down in overall elevation. This relieves in a major way the perineal pain I was experiencing on rides of over 30 miles I have been doing lately. There is a downside and it isn't a good one....and that is by having the rear of the B.17 up relative to the nose with the cant of the rear section of this saddle...I am forever sliding down onto the nose unless exerting much too much pressure with my hands and shoulders to keep my weight back...even with running a fair amount of saddle set-back. This is frankly uncomfortable and a major reason I am considering making a saddle change. I can ride the B.17 for long distances now with virtually no pain at all but experience too much tension in my upper body to be comfortable. Which leads me to the Specialized Alias. I am hopeful I can run the saddle a bit more level and the curvature of the rear section is in general more level compared to the B.17. The concavity of the B.17 is a two edge sword. On one hand if you can keep your weight back allows clearance to one's perineum but the approach that Specialized takes of a more level saddle and a cut-out I think is a better solution.
    If I ride the Brooks with the nose more up to take the weight off my hands and level out the rear of the saddle, then I experience perineal pain. In summary, I prefer a flatter saddle with relief to the perineum and hopeful the Alias meets this need.
    George
    Last edited by biker7; 10-06-05 at 04:57 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cheeseflavor
    Sounds like a good trade! I have the 155 Alias. My prior saddle was a B.17 Champion Special, and I think the Alias feels a bit narrower to me. I used the "assometer" at the LBS when I got the Alias and was measured at 143-155, so it was pretty much a toss between the two. It feels a bit flatter than the Brooks did. With the Brooks, I felt like I was balancing on the taint, with the Alias, it just sort of disappears under me.

I think you'll like it!

Steve
    Here is some info I found on the assometer

The code on the back of the assometer specifies a 130 saddle for a sitbone center to center width of 100 mm or less, a 143 saddle for a sitbone center to center of 100 mm to 130mm and a 155 for a sitbone center to center of 130 or more.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is my new bike, I might have to get a new seat for it if I do not like this one.
    New Scattante from Supergo

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glassman,
    Congrats on a beautiful bike....I take back my idea for drilling it out. How does Supergo warranty their frames? My screen resolution won't let me count your cogs...53/39 up front, what cluster in back? Have you picked out pedals yet? Don't know but can't exactly see a sprung, brown Brooks on so rakish a frame...8-) Wanna share the price with us? Above all, enjoy and send back a ride report.
    ..... "I renewed my youth, to outward appearance, by mounting a bicycle for the first time." Mark Twain, Speeches

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is my new bike, I might have to get a new seat for it if I do not like this one.
    New Scattante from Supergo
    Nice bike! Congrats! I hear the road calling...

Steve

My Bikes
    Trek Madone 5.2, State Bicycles FG, 2005 Marin Argenta
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am coming to this thread a little late, but, my comments may be worthwhile to anyone interested in the Spongy Wonder Seat. I bought one this spring because serious prostate problems made it impossible for me to ride on a regular seat. The Spongy Wonder was just the thing to get me riding again. It only touches your sit bones and no matter how long you are on it you will get no soft tissue soreness.

On the down side, it is not a bicycle saddle. As others have said, you lose the control you get from the nose on a proper seat. I would only recommend it to people with problems and, to those who do very relaxed cycling in a very up-right position without often standing on the pedals. I have since moved on to a Split Rail saddle that is just O.K. I plan to do some saddle testing for next season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GrannyGear
    Glassman,
    Congrats on a beautiful bike....I take back my idea for drilling it out. How does Supergo warranty their frames? My screen resolution won't let me count your cogs...53/39 up front, what cluster in back? Have you picked out pedals yet? Don't know but can't exactly see a sprung, brown Brooks on so rakish a frame...8-) Wanna share the price with us? Above all, enjoy and send back a ride report.
    Thanks,
    53/39 is right and 12/25 cassette, I paid $1199 for it using the 20% off coupon. I have only rode it once for 5 miles and will be riding it this weekend. So far I like it, the utegra 10 speed is smooth shifting. It weighs 17 pounds 8 ounces without the reflectors and with no pedals.Here is the large image of the picture I posted http://www.arklatexmall.com/scattante/scattante1.jpg

I think I may try to locate a specialized dealer to look at the seat everyone likes.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I may try to locate a specialized dealer to look at the seat everyone likes.
    I *think* I may have a used Avatar around here that came off of Linda's Roubaix. I'll check, but if you'd be willing to pay shipping both ways, I be happy to let you use it for a bit to decide if you like it. The Alias' shape is almost identical. However, the Avatar didn't work for me, whereas the Alias did. They're constructed differently, with the Alias having a bit more firmness, but at the same time, a bit more flex.

IF interested, PM me. It's a 143mm.

Steve

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    cheeseflavor,
    Thanks for the offer, I am looking at another seat.
    http://www.performancebike.com/e3saddle.cfm

I have been reading a little about it on the road forum. However, I am going to go to the bike shop and see if they have the specialized seats. I don't have any problems with soreness now but I don't want any in the future. I just looked at the Avatar and it is a nice looking seat and really appreciate your offer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glassman,
    I just traded another FiftyPlusser a B-17 for a 155mm Alias...should arrive in a few days. I won't be "putting it on" for a while....if you'd like to borrow the Alias and try it out for a time then you're most welcome-- same offer as Steve's up above.
    David

BTW....the Scattante seems one helluva buy...CF with Ultegra for the cost of a moderately priced sofa!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12