Get A Life - Get A Bike cheeseflavor's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix, Bianchi San Jose, '87 Schwinn Super Sport
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Feeling guilty...

Ok... tell me it's ok. Tell me I'll be fine.

Last Friday, Saturday and Sunday, we rode 100 mi, counting the 53 on Saturday. Monday and Tuesday, it rained - almost 7 inches in some areas. so, we couldn't ride then. We got 22 miles in on Wednesday. Tonight, I had PT for my back, got home late so we didn't ride (anyway, it's 41 degrees with a 15 mph wind at the moment, and I'm not ready for this stuff). That means We've gotten in only 21 miles (one ride) in the last 4 days. In the summer we ride 5-6 days/wk minimum. Because of my back, I haven't gotten any time in on the bowflex for almost 4 weeks.

For the last year and a half, Linda and I have worked our behinds off (literally) getting in shape, and I'm feeling like it's all going to be lost in a matter of days. During PT today, the guy put me on a stationary bike for 5 minutes, and sort of patronizingly says, "let's see how this feels". So, for 5 minutes, I'm buzzing along at 95-100RPM and not even breaking a sweat just to show the punk. Then he asks, "how did that feel?".

THAT was the high point of my day.

My body hasn't acclimated to this weather yet, and there's at least 4 more months of winter. Linda and I have only 250 miles to go to get our 4,000 miles. Here it's October and I've got cabin fever already. I look at myself and I can just FEEL my muscle tone disintegrating. My clothes fit differently. I think even my bird, Greta, notices it. Linda, bless her, has to be getting as getting tired of my attitude as I am.

Is there hope for me?

Steve

Send email to dnvrfox@aol.com for new group
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is there hope for me?
    Nope.

It won't be long before you are looking at airplane flights to warmer climes, checking the catalogs for bicycle carriers and discount tickets, and looking at condos in Phoenix or San Diego.

Or, you will be checking out this web site.

Last edited by DnvrFox; 10-07-05 at 07:21 AM.
    Almost gone from the 50+ forum. - Email me at dnvrfox@aol.com for another fun new group of 50+ folks

Senior Curmudgeon
    My Bikes
    Electra Townie 1-speed with basket & fenders
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What a blessing I have to be able to bike year round! "Exercise Addiction" is a known issue for many. Find other ways to do aerobic exercise during the winter. Indoor spinning, treadmill, outdoor cross-country, etc. Your lungs will lose tone much quicker than your legs! When Spring comes around, your legs will come back in a couple of weeks if you've kept up your aerobic levels.

Good luck!

My Bikes
    Merlin Fortius, Specialized Crossroads & Rockhopper, Serotta Fierte, Pedal Force RS2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    - i am also lucky that i can ride 'year round... the nice weather is just starting here! (went through the 2nd hottest August and September on record here, so riding in early a.m. is essential, although with lots of dihydrogen oxide, longer noon/p.m. rides are possible)...

- i felt guilty when it rained and i didn't want to get soaked...

- so i bought a trainer (cycleops fluid2), and life is good! workouts seem harder on the trainer, but moving the butt around helps... the trainer helps me with workouts during inclement weather or when scheduling doesn't permit a full outing... (i also recommend a good riser block, such as this, although one or more old phone books duct taped together work as well)

- btw, don't feel guilty about missing a couple days, or even a week if necessary - just don't go too long without a ride!

:-)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hit the Gym in the winter and hit the weights, too much riding will result in loss of muscle and lifting helps bring it back. Ask any pro what they do and they'll echo this, besides rest is a good thing, your not going to waste away just cause your off the bike I hardly ride at all between Nov. and March and it works for me.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hate to say it but part of training for the bike is non- ride days. Even professional athletes find that race sunday, no riding monday, ride20 miles at Good pace tuesday and gym work on wednesday- Thursday Hard ride, friday gym work, saturday rest day--and Then start all over again. There is such a thing as overtraining so slacken off a bit. My regime for the winter will be Hard ride sunday- Gym Tuesday and Thursday Night for hard sessions taking 2 hours and then ride again Sunday. Keeps me fit enough, and I have been doing this for 3 years now. In the summer it is hard or long ride sunday and Wednesday night is a 30 mile blast for 2 1/2 hours non stop offroad, and this is enough.

Don't worry about spending less time on the bike in fact cut down from what you are doing. What will benefit though is another form of exercise like the Gym, or POWER WALKINGfor one hour. That will get some different muscle groups working.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox
    Nope.
    I was afraid of that.

That was a great link (icebike.org). I forwarded it to Linda today at work, and she didn't care for the idea. I breathed a sigh of relief.

Hopefully, this winter is like the last couple we've had here in MN. Last year, the only month we were unable to get ANY rides in was January. Granted, we don't get out as often, but if the roads are clear, and it's above freezing, we do.

Later!

Steve

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FarHorizon
    What a blessing I have to be able to bike year round! "Exercise Addiction" is a known issue for many. Find other ways to do aerobic exercise during the winter. Indoor spinning, treadmill, outdoor cross-country, etc. Your lungs will lose tone much quicker than your legs! When Spring comes around, your legs will come back in a couple of weeks if you've kept up your aerobic levels.
    Thanks Far.

Last year around this time, we got memberships to a local gym. We both hated it. So, we purchased a stationary bike and a bowflex. This actually got us through winter quite nicely, and ready for spring, though we both got a major case of the blues when riding season was winding down.

Cross-country skiing is a good idea. We've talked about that recently. Maybe this is the year we make that leap.

Take care,

Steve

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by linux_author
    btw, don't feel guilty about missing a couple days, or even a week if necessary - just don't go too long without a ride!
    Not if at all possible!

Steve

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam
    Don't worry about spending less time on the bike in fact cut down from what you are doing. What will benefit though is another form of exercise like the Gym, or POWER WALKINGfor one hour. That will get some different muscle groups working.
    Agreed. I love walking. Before we started biking that's what we did for exercise, but for the last four weeks, since injuring my back, walking more than a few hundred feet is excruciating. I can ride 50 miles no problem, but walking? Not a chance. I can't wait until this passes.

I'm going to try some resistance training again, starting tomorrow and see how that goes. I just hate to lose everything we've worked for the last year and a half.

Later!

Steve