Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Thread: Sad day!

Send email to dnvrfox@aol.com for new group
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay, it is snowing like a demon outside. Heavy and wet. Have already lost one tree branch, and the neighbor lost an entire tree. Been out there shaking those limbs.

But, wife is pretty laid up today and we must make an emergency run to the MD's.

Now to the sad part!

I have just moved my "utility" bike down to the basement, and set it on my trainer.

Have a flat front tire, and will need to patch the tube before riding inside today.

Hate to see the summer season disappear!

But, it may be back this weekend.
    Last edited by DnvrFox; 10-10-05 at 09:00 AM.
    Gone - email me at dnvrfox@aol.com for new group of old 50+ folks

My Bikes
    2005 Fuji Monterey Comfort/Hybrids
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's just starting to turn to snow down here in Colorado Springs but it's been "cold and wet", yep winter is upon us, even if the calendar says it's still FALL! Didn't get to ride this weekend, sure can feel it! It's gona make the Thrusday Club Ride harder than normal, bummer. The weekend does look ok so far, it needs to get warm enough so I can "degrease and wash" my poor bicycle, LOL! Now I gota buy a trainer, alas, no matter what your passion in life is, it's always got to involve "money"! ;D
    BJ & Jo Ondo
    Colorado Springs, CO.
    2005 Fuji Monterey Comfort/Hybrid
    "We ride just for the FUN of it"!
    http://bj-joondo.tripod.com/bicycle.htm

My Bikes
    1984 Peugeot P8; 2006 Trek 5200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I heard in the news there was snow in the Rockies today. I was definately fall here. I rode out this morning, rain was expected, but I figured myself lucky and that I would get my ride in before any rain, (I did and now at lunch time it is pouring). When I returned from the ride I told my wife today it really felt like fall. The wind was blowing and the trees were all swaying around, you could here the wind rushing through all of the leaves. It's a beautiful sound, yet sad in that it marks the end of another summer season. Time to get that sweathead wrap you all advised me about last week.

Senior Curmudgeon
    My Bikes
    Electra Townie 1-speed with basket & fenders
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What's "snow?"

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FarHorizon
    What's "snow?"

Was going to ask the same question, but we have a change in the terrain over here if not in the weather. Last week we had a couple of slight showers, and we rode on sunday. Boy is that slippy. The rain has gone into the top inch or so of the trails and has stayed there. Does not bode well for my ride on the 22nd.

Yep. Winters ridings here if not winter.
    Last edited by stapfam; 10-10-05 at 11:49 AM.

My Bikes
    Merlin Fortius, Specialized Crossroads & Rockhopper, Serotta Fierte, Pedal Force RS2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    - sorry to hear about the wife...

- but i keep praying for weather below the 90s! this has been one hot, hot summer, and the last two months are the second hottest on record...

(forecast: 90, 91 for today, tomorrow, with cooling trend at the upper 80s by next weekend)

- i can hardly wait until we turn off the AC until next June...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Luckily, here in Northern California, most of the winter season is not that bad that we can't ride. Still, there are usually long spells where riding isn't all that feasible.

Thinking of making some sort of deal with my wife where I can buy a Lamond RevMaster spin bike to train on and keep in shape. Stay tuned.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay, it is snowing like a demon outside. Heavy and wet. Have already lost one tree branch, and the neighbor lost an entire tree. Been out there shaking those limbs.

But, wife is pretty laid up today and we must make an emergency run to the MD's.

Now to the sad part!

I have just moved my "utility" bike down to the basement, and set it on my trainer.
    Okay, so no one gets my humor. At least I try. Perhaps too subtle?

Or perhaps moving the bike to the trainer WAS the "sad part!"

Any, FWIW, I rode (outside) every week last winter.
    Last edited by DnvrFox; 10-10-05 at 12:44 PM.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox
    Okay, so no one gets my humor. At least I try. Perhaps too subtle?

Any, FWIW, I rode (outside) every week last winter.
    Did catch it, but I knew that although the trainer may stay there, you and another bike would not. The best place for a utilitybike is in the basement in any case. Preferably under the trainer that is sqashed up against the wall by about 20 packing cases. If I can't ride because the weathers too bad, then I find another waterproof coat or Fleece. I can't stand putting in all that effort on a Trainer and going nowhere. But then I am a mountain biker, and a little bit of mud and rain won't put us off. In fact we need the rain to wash off the mud from when we last fell off the bike.

Get A Life - Get A Bike cheeseflavor's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix, Bianchi San Jose, '87 Schwinn Super Sport
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Now to the sad part!

Have a flat front tire, and will need to patch the tube before riding inside today.

Yep... we're starting to see signs of it here too. It's been nippy lately. All of our recent rides have required tights, long sleeves and glove liners. Had to wear our skull caps on one of the recent rides. No snow yet (knock on wood), but the temps are in the low 40s at night and 50s during the day. Today, it should hit 60.

Sorry to hear about your wife. I hope she gets better quickly!

Take care,

Steve

Berry Pie..the Holy Grail GrannyGear's Avatar
    Weaving thru the cowpud outside Modesto CA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Central CA here....was out yesterday early...had to wear arm and knee warmers until 9:00 or so. Had to seriously rehydrate by noon. What drives me into the garage is early darkness eating up my afterwork riding time. Then I go to the garage trainer with the rest of you. MidWinter fog, not snow, drives me off the road weekends. Less substantial than snow maybe...but ghosting through the whiteness is just too risky.
    ..... "I renewed my youth, to outward appearance, by mounting a bicycle for the first time." Mark Twain, Speeches

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The mountain is just starting to show itself here today and YES the top is covered. Tonight suppose to get snow at 7,000 feet, that would be my front yard. Went to the gym today but it's not really a sad day, The skis are sreaming to get out!

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Southern California here. We're in the midst of a Santa Anna which means high heat and low humidty and danger of wild fires.

Yesterday was picture perfect; down at the beach the temps were in the high 70's, a bit breezy but just beautiful. I count myself as SO fortunate to live where year-long riding is not only possible, but normal.

What's snow again???
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Southern California here. We're in the midst of a Santa Anna which means high heat and low humidty and danger of wild fires.

Yesterday was picture perfect; down at the beach the temps were in the high 70's, a bit breezy but just beautiful. I count myself as SO fortunate to live where year-long riding is not only possible, but normal.

What's snow again???
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Man-I hate to hear about the snow and flat tire!! That's a reality check for sure. We still have all the leaves on the trees and they have not even started to change colors. I'm sure you'll have some good days to get out and ride over the next month.

I hope the wife mends quickly!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What's snow again???
    This is snow. I took a 2 mile walk in it, and then did a 10 mile ride. Temp was a refreshing 44F.

This is part of the 55 acres of open space in our small neighborhood. I could have cross country skied today, but!!

These pics were taken by my new cell phone, by the way. I am still learning how to use it, and don't have the final adjustments down yet.

Jim Shapiro
    My Bikes
    Bianchi Imola (road), Bianchi Axis (general), Centurion Elite RS (fixed gear), Centurion Elite GS (lunch rides at work), Miyata (work in progress), Trek 7000 (mountain biking)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Now to the sad part!

But, it may be back this weekend.
    I live just down the road in Boulder and I have to tell you I look forward to fall, if not winter. Fewer riders on the paths, less sweating, and crisp, cool air. I avoid any days when there's moisture on the ground (summer and winter both for this one), but I never let the temperature become a factor in whether or not I ride. Rode today with my son, but it was already 48 degrees Fahrenheit by noon, when we started.

Jim

My Bikes
    mountain bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hope that your wife feels better.
    Here in NC the winters are fairly mild except for January and February but it's OK to take a little break for a couple of months a year. I lived just outside of NYC for most of my life before moving here 13 years ago and I have to tell you that it's great living in the South now.
    BTW, I have a cell phone that takes photos also but I've never really used it. Those pics look pretty decent for a cell phone. How did you get them onto your computer?
    Peter

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by peterjcb
    I hope that your wife feels better.
    Here in NC the winters are fairly mild except for January and February but it's OK to take a little break for a couple of months a year. I lived just outside of NYC for most of my life before moving here 13 years ago and I have to tell you that it's great living in the South now.
    BTW, I have a cell phone that takes photos also but I've never really used it. Those pics look pretty decent for a cell phone. How did you get them onto your computer?
    I emailed them from the phone to myself! Truly.

I also (just got it today) now have a removable memory card for transfer, and have a download program with a cable from the phone to my computer which supposedly does downloads, but I haven't figured it out.

Darn manual for all of this is 100 pages long!