Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 10-10-05, 08:32 AM   #1
DnvrFox
Banned.

Bikes:
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Okay, it is snowing like a demon outside. Heavy and wet. Have already lost one tree branch, and the neighbor lost an entire tree. Been out there shaking those limbs.

But, wife is pretty laid up today and we must make an emergency run to the MD's.

Now to the sad part!

I have just moved my "utility" bike down to the basement, and set it on my trainer.

Have a flat front tire, and will need to patch the tube before riding inside today.

Hate to see the summer season disappear!

But, it may be back this weekend.

Last edited by DnvrFox; 10-10-05 at 09:00 AM.
DnvrFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-05, 08:55 AM   #2
BJ Ondo
"Old & Slow Rider"

Bikes: 2005 Fuji Monterey Comfort/Hybrids
It's just starting to turn to snow down here in Colorado Springs but it's been "cold and wet", yep winter is upon us, even if the calendar says it's still FALL! Didn't get to ride this weekend, sure can feel it! It's gona make the Thrusday Club Ride harder than normal, bummer. The weekend does look ok so far, it needs to get warm enough so I can "degrease and wash" my poor bicycle, LOL! Now I gota buy a trainer, alas, no matter what your passion in life is, it's always got to involve "money"! ;D
BJ Ondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-05, 11:03 AM   #3
p8rider

Bikes: 1984 Peugeot P8; 2006 Trek 5200
I heard in the news there was snow in the Rockies today. I was definately fall here. I rode out this morning, rain was expected, but I figured myself lucky and that I would get my ride in before any rain, (I did and now at lunch time it is pouring). When I returned from the ride I told my wife today it really felt like fall. The wind was blowing and the trees were all swaying around, you could here the wind rushing through all of the leaves. It's a beautiful sound, yet sad in that it marks the end of another summer season. Time to get that sweathead wrap you all advised me about last week.
p8rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-05, 11:28 AM   #4
FarHorizon
Senior Curmudgeon

Bikes: Varies by day
What's "snow?"
FarHorizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-05, 11:42 AM   #5
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarHorizon
What's "snow?"

Was going to ask the same question, but we have a change in the terrain over here if not in the weather. Last week we had a couple of slight showers, and we rode on sunday. Boy is that slippy. The rain has gone into the top inch or so of the trails and has stayed there. Does not bode well for my ride on the 22nd.

Yep. Winters ridings here if not winter.

Last edited by stapfam; 10-10-05 at 11:49 AM.
stapfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-05, 11:48 AM   #6
linux_author
370H-SSV-0773H

Bikes: Merlin Fortius, Specialized Crossroads & Rockhopper, Serotta Fierte, Pedal Force RS2
- sorry to hear about the wife...

- but i keep praying for weather below the 90s! this has been one hot, hot summer, and the last two months are the second hottest on record...

(forecast: 90, 91 for today, tomorrow, with cooling trend at the upper 80s by next weekend)

- i can hardly wait until we turn off the AC until next June...
linux_author is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-05, 11:56 AM   #7
KeithA

Bikes:
Luckily, here in Northern California, most of the winter season is not that bad that we can't ride. Still, there are usually long spells where riding isn't all that feasible.

Thinking of making some sort of deal with my wife where I can buy a Lamond RevMaster spin bike to train on and keep in shape. Stay tuned.
KeithA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-05, 12:37 PM   #8
DnvrFox
Banned.

Bikes:
Quote:
Okay, it is snowing like a demon outside. Heavy and wet. Have already lost one tree branch, and the neighbor lost an entire tree. Been out there shaking those limbs.

But, wife is pretty laid up today and we must make an emergency run to the MD's.

Now to the sad part!

I have just moved my "utility" bike down to the basement, and set it on my trainer.
Okay, so no one gets my humor. At least I try. Perhaps too subtle?

Or perhaps moving the bike to the trainer WAS the "sad part!"

Any, FWIW, I rode (outside) every week last winter.

Last edited by DnvrFox; 10-10-05 at 12:44 PM.
Old 10-10-05, 12:59 PM   #9
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
Okay, so no one gets my humor. At least I try. Perhaps too subtle?

Any, FWIW, I rode (outside) every week last winter.
Did catch it, but I knew that although the trainer may stay there, you and another bike would not. The best place for a utilitybike is in the basement in any case. Preferably under the trainer that is sqashed up against the wall by about 20 packing cases. If I can't ride because the weathers too bad, then I find another waterproof coat or Fleece. I can't stand putting in all that effort on a Trainer and going nowhere. But then I am a mountain biker, and a little bit of mud and rain won't put us off. In fact we need the rain to wash off the mud from when we last fell off the bike.
stapfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-05, 01:08 PM   #10
cheeseflavor
Get A Life - Get A Bike

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Bianchi San Jose, '87 Schwinn Super Sport
Quote:

Now to the sad part!

Have a flat front tire, and will need to patch the tube before riding inside today.

Yep... we're starting to see signs of it here too. It's been nippy lately. All of our recent rides have required tights, long sleeves and glove liners. Had to wear our skull caps on one of the recent rides. No snow yet (knock on wood), but the temps are in the low 40s at night and 50s during the day. Today, it should hit 60.

Sorry to hear about your wife. I hope she gets better quickly!

Take care,

Steve
Old 10-10-05, 01:15 PM   #11
GrannyGear
Berry Pie..the Holy Grail

Bikes:
Central CA here....was out yesterday early...had to wear arm and knee warmers until 9:00 or so. Had to seriously rehydrate by noon. What drives me into the garage is early darkness eating up my afterwork riding time. Then I go to the garage trainer with the rest of you. MidWinter fog, not snow, drives me off the road weekends. Less substantial than snow maybe...but ghosting through the whiteness is just too risky.
Old 10-10-05, 05:28 PM   #12
TaosWoman

Bikes:
The mountain is just starting to show itself here today and YES the top is covered. Tonight suppose to get snow at 7,000 feet, that would be my front yard. Went to the gym today but it's not really a sad day, The skis are sreaming to get out!
TaosWoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-05, 05:40 PM   #13
Digital Gee
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite, 2012 Masi Evoluzione
Southern California here. We're in the midst of a Santa Anna which means high heat and low humidty and danger of wild fires.

Yesterday was picture perfect; down at the beach the temps were in the high 70's, a bit breezy but just beautiful. I count myself as SO fortunate to live where year-long riding is not only possible, but normal.

What's snow again???

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Digital Gee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-05, 05:41 PM   #14
Digital Gee
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite, 2012 Masi Evoluzione
Southern California here. We're in the midst of a Santa Anna which means high heat and low humidty and danger of wild fires.

Yesterday was picture perfect; down at the beach the temps were in the high 70's, a bit breezy but just beautiful. I count myself as SO fortunate to live where year-long riding is not only possible, but normal.

What's snow again???

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Digital Gee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-05, 06:10 PM   #15
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Man-I hate to hear about the snow and flat tire!! That's a reality check for sure. We still have all the leaves on the trees and they have not even started to change colors. I'm sure you'll have some good days to get out and ride over the next month.

I hope the wife mends quickly!
jppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-05, 04:50 PM   #16
DnvrFox
Banned.

Bikes:
Quote:
What's snow again???
This is snow. I took a 2 mile walk in it, and then did a 10 mile ride. Temp was a refreshing 44F.

This is part of the 55 acres of open space in our small neighborhood. I could have cross country skied today, but!!

These pics were taken by my new cell phone, by the way. I am still learning how to use it, and don't have the final adjustments down yet.
Old 10-11-05, 05:39 PM   #17
jimshapiro
Jim Shapiro

Bikes: Bianchi Imola (road), Bianchi Axis (general), Centurion Elite RS (fixed gear), Centurion Elite GS (lunch rides at work), Miyata (work in progress), Trek 7000 (mountain biking)
Quote:

Now to the sad part!

But, it may be back this weekend.
I live just down the road in Boulder and I have to tell you I look forward to fall, if not winter. Fewer riders on the paths, less sweating, and crisp, cool air. I avoid any days when there's moisture on the ground (summer and winter both for this one), but I never let the temperature become a factor in whether or not I ride. Rode today with my son, but it was already 48 degrees Fahrenheit by noon, when we started.

Jim
jimshapiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-05, 06:53 PM   #18
peterjcb
Fanatic

Bikes: mountain bike
I hope that your wife feels better.
Here in NC the winters are fairly mild except for January and February but it's OK to take a little break for a couple of months a year. I lived just outside of NYC for most of my life before moving here 13 years ago and I have to tell you that it's great living in the South now.
BTW, I have a cell phone that takes photos also but I've never really used it. Those pics look pretty decent for a cell phone. How did you get them onto your computer?
peterjcb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-05, 07:08 PM   #19
DnvrFox
Banned.

Bikes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterjcb
I hope that your wife feels better.
Here in NC the winters are fairly mild except for January and February but it's OK to take a little break for a couple of months a year. I lived just outside of NYC for most of my life before moving here 13 years ago and I have to tell you that it's great living in the South now.
BTW, I have a cell phone that takes photos also but I've never really used it. Those pics look pretty decent for a cell phone. How did you get them onto your computer?
I emailed them from the phone to myself! Truly.

I also (just got it today) now have a removable memory card for transfer, and have a download program with a cable from the phone to my computer which supposedly does downloads, but I haven't figured it out.

Darn manual for all of this is 100 pages long!