Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Tour de Florida

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Tour de Florida

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-05, 09:17 AM

Bikes: Trek Madone 5.2, Trek Madone 3.1, Giant TRC C3, Trek STP 200, Trek STP 300

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Tour de Florida

Well, he is on his way home now, but I have to brag about a new 67 year young cyclist.

During his spring visit to Florida this year, I got my Dad on a bike. We had fun, and it was a blast introducing him to a new sport. Our first rides during that visit were 5 miles, 7 miles and 8 miles. Each time he was ready for more and it was fun for me to come home from work to see him dressed out in cycling gear and ready to ride.

I bought a bike for my Dad on Fathers Day this year. He has been riding nearly daily.

During his trip here that started a week ago we rode 7 days out of 8, we did 151 miles with his personal best of 33 on the final day. We averaged 12.8 mph and we rode in some very strong winds and rain. He is a trooper and he is looking for a half century ride and maybe next year a full century.

Can't wait till our next Tour.....
Old 10-10-05, 10:15 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by A1A Rider
Well, he is on his way home now, but I have to brag about a new 67 year young cyclist.

During his spring visit to Florida this year, I got my Dad on a bike. We had fun, and it was a blast introducing him to a new sport. Our first rides during that visit were 5 miles, 7 miles and 8 miles. Each time he was ready for more and it was fun for me to come home from work to see him dressed out in cycling gear and ready to ride.

I bought a bike for my Dad on Fathers Day this year. He has been riding nearly daily.

During his trip here that started a week ago we rode 7 days out of 8, we did 151 miles with his personal best of 33 on the final day. We averaged 12.8 mph and we rode in some very strong winds and rain. He is a trooper and he is looking for a half century ride and maybe next year a full century.

Can't wait till our next Tour.....
Not to mention that you and dad have found a new way to bond.

I read a funny story a couple years ago about a 40 something guy who did a century in what was a personal best time for him. He said he couldn't brag because his 70 something father had beaten him. Little tough to talk big when your dad kicks your ass.

Hope dad keeps it going.
Old 10-10-05, 12:13 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Hate to say it, but We have a member on this forum that should give you warning. Living in Florida and only hoping for a 50 miler by the end of the year? Follow some of digital gee's efforts and you had better get ready to keep up with your dad on the century ride before the end of the year. Either that or find a relay of mates to keep him company while he gently disappears into the distance leaving you wondering why you bought him a bike.

It would appear that you have not learnt from Father/sibling preparation for a ride. Get the brakes binding on his bike before you take him out next time, and then he may slow down to your pace. Hold on-- perhaps your dad knows about this little trick and he has knobbled your bike.

Well done DAD But you had better get some training in A1A rider, or at least have an excuse for having such an amazing Dad.
Old 10-10-05, 05:52 PM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Aw, shucks, Stepfam! You're making me blush!

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 10-11-05, 07:43 AM
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,834 Times in 2,229 Posts
My father in law was 66 when he took up cycling for the first time. He went at it regularly for about 6 months. With some mods to his diet, he lost 30 lbs and looked 10 years younger. For some reason he gave it up and lost all the benefit, even though my wife and I tried to encourage. Keep your Dad on track, I hope he doesn't lose interest.
Old 12-17-05, 03:54 PM

Bikes: Trek Madone 5.2, Trek Madone 3.1, Giant TRC C3, Trek STP 200, Trek STP 300

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Follow Up ......

Bought Dad a roadie and now its on .... I visited the family for Thanksgiving in Ohio and we got in 105 miles over the 4 days. Thanksgiving Day was cold and we only got in 5, then 15 on friday. The weather warmed up and we took to the old rail trails on saturday and sunday for 40 and 45, respectivley.

We are now planning for a February Tour de Florida that will include a 68 miler (his age) and over the 10 days we plan on 250. Its a blast to ride with him, he is very strong. Now that he is on a carbon framed roadie.....I have my work cut out for me !

PS Christmas brings my son, his grandson, a new road bike and it looks like the Tour de Florida will have a new entrant......

Doug in Lauderdale
Old 12-17-05, 04:59 PM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Great, great story A1A rider. Warms the heart just thinking about how well he will do.

A suggestion-get a 30 something in spandex riding ahead of him. Amazingly he'll be doing twice the number of miles. Oh wait....my secret is now out......
Old 12-18-05, 07:17 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
All those young guys out there who seem surprised that the creaky boned over 60 types can't whoop butt, better think twice before challenging us to a ride or most other physical thing.
Double bypass at 62, changed my lifestyle totally, my Doc considers me his poster guy for the other older types in his practice, who *****,moan and complain while sitting on butts watchin TV, I unplugged my 5 years ago, don't miss it one iota

At 70 loaded my TREK on an Air France 747 in Miami and 4 months later unloaded same at same.
Did Paris to Paris and 4500 KMs in between as far east as Prague and Budapest, had the best times of my life, met the best and kindest and most generous people imaginable
Came back to FTL and had itchy feet. loaded bike in truk and headed west in Oct 04 to SF, Ca rode across THE Bridge, 2 days later later headed south on the Pacific Coast Hwy spent 12 days riding to Malibu, spent only 2 nites in hotels, rest with a bag and tent
Sept 05 71, went to Tanzania and climbed Kilimanjaro,TO THE BLOODY TOP, did safari
stopped in Paris on return and rode bikes with friends out to Versailles.

We may be aged but we sure aren't horizontal yet

Oh yeh got hit on by my eye doc during a routine exam

Everytime I see an older guy or woman riding walking or otherwise not sitting on butt,it delights me

Planning a month in Spain April/May 06 anyone care to join me?