User Tag List

My Bikes
    Schwinn Super Le Tour, Specialized Rockhopper 05
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rain is comming soon what to you wear?

What do you wear when riding in the rain?
    Joe
    Schwinn Super Le Tour
    Specialized Rockhopper 05

My Bikes
    Electra Townie 1
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As little as possible - that way there's less to wring out & wash when I get back. Wait - that's what I wear when it's NOT raining, too!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FarHorizon
    As little as possible - that way there's less to wring out & wash when I get back. Wait - that's what I wear when it's NOT raining, too!
    Folks from warm climates are sometimes unawares that there is such as thing as cold, cold rain.

Chris L from Oz Land, who used to hold the record for posting on BFN, kept talking about riding in the rain with not much on.

Around here, there is no such thing as a warm rain, even in summer.

I usually wear my regular base clothes, plus some sort of outerwear protection.

The problem is that most stuff that stops rain also stops perspiration, and you get as wet from sweating as from the rain.

Many folks swear by Goretex or the equivalent, as it is breathable. Never could afford it, but would like to tryit. Generally it is either dry or snowing around here, or the rains in the summer are cloudbursts of short duration. So, in the summer I manage to get along on a wind breaker.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox
    Folks from warm climates are sometimes unawares that there is such as thing as cold, cold rain.

The problem is that most stuff that stops rain also stops perspiration, and you get as wet from sweating as from the rain.

Many folks swear by Goretex or the equivalent, as it is breathable. Never could afford it, but would like to tryit. Generally it is either dry or snowing around here, or the rains in the summer are cloudbursts of short duration. So, in the summer I manage to get along on a wind breaker.
    Sweating with clothing is the real problem. Summer rain is not too bad as Most of us carry a lightweight showerproof in the UK, even in summer. These have to have plenty of vents in to let out the moisture, but work well enough. Winter rain is different. For a start it is colder, and normally more prolongued. A Jacket that will keep out the rain, will also keep in the sweat unless you have gone to something like goretex. Even goretex comes in different grades, and I have a triple goretex jacket. This is a bit warmer so underneath it is normally just a Roubaix material Long sleevetop. That roubaix material is worth another Thread so don't go there. This will normally get me warm fairly quickly, so staying warm is not a problem. The goretex does breath so inside moisture is not a major problem, but on the colder days when you are tempted to put on a fleece aswell, you will sweat. Two choices, leave off the fleece and cycle faster, or keep the fleece and slow down.

Goretex is expensive, but their are cheaper materials. Yah-Boo- sucks!! I've got goretex, and I am staying with it. It is good, probably the best around, but does take a commitment to spend a fortune on a jacket that will only last you for the rest of your life.