Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   I reached the 500 mile mark. (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/148598-i-reached-500-mile-mark.html)

cruzMOKS 10-24-05 04:23 PM

I started out looking for a bike to ride with my daughter and maybe
our whole family. After I started riding I was encouraged to ride
for my personal exercise. Today I went over 500 miles. I took a
vacation day and went 17.5 miles. I rode up to a Missouri natural
area (Maple Woods) hiked the trail and rode back. Riding
energizes me both physically and mentally.

Now I am looking into comuting to work. I did Friday and I may
do it more often. I have lights and a reflector vest. If I commute
often I plan on getting a second set of lights.

This bike stuff is growing on me.

And I am only riding on a $50 bike. But I have $170 in gear
including slick tires that I bought and put on today.
Surfas Drifter dual Sport
http://www.serfas.com/tires/CTR-26.html

A road bike may come early next year, but I am really enjoying
what I have now.

slotibartfast 10-24-05 04:26 PM

Great job, cruz. Keep it up! Don't worry about how much your bike cost, just enjoy yourself.

BJ Ondo 10-24-05 04:41 PM

Cruz, congrats, ya it's a funny thing, I got my bike in May, then on Fathers Day, I bought myself a present of a bike computer, since then I've bicycle'd "1300 miles" and I only ride for FUN. Never set a goal of "miles per day", heart rate, candence level's, ect. just ride! :) Let's hope we got a lot more "Miles of Smiles" in future!!

KeithA 10-24-05 04:50 PM

Woohoo!!! A great milestone achieved. What separates you from many who buy bikes is that you actually use it to good advantage.

You just inspired me to overcome my vacillating about going out for a ride today.

rck 10-24-05 05:21 PM

Careful cruzMOKS its addictive. Today its a 50 dollar bike and new tires. Next thing you know your doing gatorade and biking shorts. Then you find yourself hanging out at the local lbs checking out new roadbikes!
I know having just picked up some new clipless pedals, a new saddle (2nd one this year)' and just ordered a new pair of shoes. I'm hooked!

p8rider 10-24-05 07:41 PM

Great Going,cycling can certainly be fun, but be careful or it may become habit forming. Congrats cruzMOKS on acheiving a solid goal!

GrannyGear 10-24-05 07:42 PM

rck speaks truth. Another complacent "civilian" bites the dust and is reborn...................il grand cycliste! Strange how people are inviegled into this thing through a sense of achievement and well-being.

Nothin' could be finer than gettin' off of the recliner........in the mor-or-orning!!

Congrats cruz!!!

Digital Gee 10-24-05 09:15 PM

Cruz, you remind me of someone. Hmmmmm....who could it be? Who could it be?

Oh! Me! That's it -- you remind me of me!

Congrats on the first 500. Isn't it a blast???

taylor8 10-25-05 12:45 PM

Way cool as the kids say.
Joe

tom cotter 10-25-05 01:40 PM

Another big WOOHOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!

tom cotter 10-25-05 01:41 PM

Another big WOOHOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!

tom cotter 10-25-05 01:43 PM

Another big WOOHOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!

Digital Gee 10-25-05 06:02 PM

As you can see, Tom likes to say Woohoo!!!!!!! a lot. :-0

cruzMOKS 10-25-05 10:21 PM

Riding for fun and riding to run errands or commute.
I like to watch statistics in how I am doing. That is fun for me.
Building strength and endurance through training is fun when I see the improvement.

slotibartfast.
I get a kick out of enjoying a $50 bike.

BJ Ondo,
I don't set many goals but I do see how I can ride further or faster.

p8rider & rck,
I am already addicked. I want to continue to imporve and enjoy biking, so I look for new gadgets.

Digital Gee,
It is a blast. And I feel better afterwards.

Dchiefransom 10-25-05 11:20 PM

Resistance is futile......................................................

cheeseflavor 10-26-05 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by cruzMOKS
A road bike may come early next year, but I am really enjoying
what I have now.

Congatulations on the long ride! Sounds like you've been bitten by the bike bug :)

Take care,

Steve

GGrider 10-26-05 02:19 PM

Congratulations!!! It is a great feeling to ride no matter the distance or the speed.