Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

I fought the bus and the bus won...

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

I fought the bus and the bus won...

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-05, 04:31 PM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just need to vent.

Came to an intersection with a left turn lane, a center (go straight) lane, and a right turn lane. There was traffic in the left lane and the center lane, including a school bus. In the right turn lane, but 100 feet before the intersection, a city bus was letting off passengers. I wanted to go straight.

I considered squeezing in between the two busses, but since I didn't know when the city bus would start moving again, I thought better of it. I waited in the right hand side of the through lane, behind (and to the left) of the city bus.

The light changed, all the traffic moved EXCEPT the city bus. I waited still, thinking with my luck he'd veer to the left as he started off, and I'd be forced way out into the through or even the left hand turn lane. But he didn't move.

Finally, I started to pass him on his left. I could see the driver in his rear-view mirror. He looked at me, and then -- I swear! -- he started forward -- and veered to the left! I was forced out into the lane, and wasn't sure what was behind me, so I stopped.

And he stopped. And looked at me as if to say, "Well, go on!"

So, I finally did. And then -- I swear! -- he started forward, veering further to the left. I yelled, stopped, and watched as he proceeded to veer way to the left so he could make a right hand turn. Finally I was able to proceed (and, of course, a moment later nearly got backed into by a car backing out of a diagonal parking space. I'm telling you, it was a bad day! lol)

It's possible the bus driver and I misunderstood each other's intentions. But I doubt it. It sure looked and felt like a deliberate game of chicken or something. I was able to leave the driver with a one-finger salute, but I'm not sure he could see that in his rear view mirror by this time.

That said, it was a great day to ride! Cool, sunny, and refreshing.

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 10-28-05, 04:35 PM
Fritz M

Bikes: Trek, Spesh, GT, Centurion

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's better than what happened to this 47-year-old cyclist the other day. She got hit by a bus going 65-mph. The bike went under the bus; the cyclist got thrown 75 feet and suffered broken legs, pelvis, ribs, and internal injuries.
Old 10-28-05, 04:46 PM
Fanatic

Bikes: Priority Ace of Spades single speed

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 1 Post
I think that a lot of motorists are just out to get us for some reason. Maybe the feel like "they" own the roads and are somehow jealous that we are out there keeping ourselves in good condition.
Anyway, just another reason why I don't usually ride on public streets.
Old 10-28-05, 05:41 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Bikes: Varies by day

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Some days are just like that... I know it's hard to do, but next time, try to smile & wave - it throws the driver off (wondering do they know you? are you their neighbor? Are you their kid's teacher?). Often, the "friendly" approach gives you time to get out of their way while they try to find some context to fit you into their reality picture. Try this - it works most of the time!
Old 10-29-05, 07:24 AM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Thanks for sharing Gary-those types of things get really irritating and can completely change what probably had been terrific ride into frustration in a heartbeat. You certainly made the right decisions and had the best of intentions. A good friend helped me a great deal by suggesting I just whisper "God Bless that Poor Driver". Seems to help calm me down and help me continue to focus on being on the road......

Keep up the safe riding!!
Old 10-29-05, 07:32 AM

Bikes: Giant easy e, Priority Onyx, Scott Sub 40, Marin Belvedere Commuter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 32 Posts
I work in a town that is notorious for agressive driving. Especially pickup trucks. Trying to make a left turn one will very often notice the driver approaching from the opposite direction speed up to block your maneuver. Red lights mean only two more vehicle proceed through.

When I am on my bike, I experience the complete opposite. Pickups stop and wave me across their path. Cars give me extra wide birth (with an exception now and then). People and drivers very often say hello or nod. I am thinking, wow, this is a very friendly bike city.

My bike and clothing may have some kind of affect on people because at least once a week someone asks,
"Are you a cop".

Ya think that has anything to do with it?
Old 10-30-05, 06:04 PM
chicharron

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
I really believe that they screen city bus drivers when before they hire them. And if, in their battery of psychological test, the applicant for job of city bus driver has results that show him or her to be normal, the applicant is not hired. If, however the results of the test show that the applicant is disgruntled or with a severe personality disorder, he is hired on the spot.
In Kansas City, the bus drivers run red lights as a matter of course. None of the busses stop at red lights. The police will not ticket them. I'm serious.