Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Has anyone used a Spongy Wonder or SpiderFlex Seat?

I'm thinking about buying either the Spongy Wonder seat or the SpiderFlex seat. Has anyone used these and what did you like or dislike about these seats. My doctor told me to stop riding bicycles because of some nerve damage that I got from a century ride on my birthday. Another doctor suggested that I could ride a recumbant bicycle. Since the seat is much less expensive, I thought I would try that first. Hopefully, someone out there can provide a recommendation to help me decide.

Get A Life - Get A Bike cheeseflavor's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix, Bianchi San Jose, '87 Schwinn Super Sport
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheesy
    I'm thinking about buying either the Spongy Wonder seat or the SpiderFlex seat. Has anyone used these and what did you like or dislike about these seats. My doctor told me to stop riding bicycles because of some nerve damage that I got from a century ride on my birthday. Another doctor suggested that I could ride a recumbant bicycle. Since the seat is much less expensive, I thought I would try that first. Hopefully, someone out there can provide a recommendation to help me decide.
    Cheesy,

I rode a Spiderflex for over a year. Over 3000 miles by a rough estimate. Due to some issues I was having with prostatitis, it was the seat that allowed me to start biking and lose some weight. I've had it mounted on a comfort bike, a hybrid and two road bikes, including my Roubaix. For me, it was ride that type of saddle or don't ride at all.

I found it to be very comfortable. I did 65 miles on it earlier this year, and a few rides of 40-50mi as well. It was very, very comfortable for long rides. I cannot stress just how comfortable it was to sit on. My complaints with it were 1) it was heavy. Around 700g I believe, 2) Its lack of a nose made it slightly more difficult to find your way back into the saddle after standing and peddling, and 3) worst reason of all not to use one - it didn't look very sexy.

All in all, I owe a lot to this saddle. However, while I'm not *healed*, I am in remission at the moment, and have started using a Specialized Alias which I love. At the first sign of 'tate issues, I'm running, not walking, to mount the spiderflex back on.

I happen to have two of these, both in excellent shape, and would be willing to part with one. PM me if you're interested and we can work something out, I'm sure.

Take care,

Steve

My Bikes
    Trek Madone 5.2, State Bicycles FG, 2005 Marin Argenta
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My experience with the Spongy Wonder is exactly the same as cheeseflavour's experience with the SpiderFlex. I used it for similar reasons, it was very comfortable and, I have gone to a more conventional saddle for the same reasons. I think there are several threads on these saddles it you do a search.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used a spiderflex for several months and liked it. It resolved the prostate problems and was comfortaqble. Continuing wrist pain lead me to make the switch to a recumbent and I'm much happier now. However, I do recommend the Spiderflex to those who are having problems and wish to stick with DF bikes. If it helps you ride more, the $95.00 shouldn't get in the way. bk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheesy
    I bought a Spongy Wonder seat about a year ago, just after I had picked up a used Radius recumbent. Both are excellent solutions. Riding a 'bent in traffic has drawbacks, though. I plan to buy a second Spongy Wonder for a Roubaix road bike with f & r suspension I picked up off ebay, should be the best of both worlds.

As far as likes and dislikes of the seat, I find it very comfortable. They send a spare set of pads, but after a year of use, the original pads show little wear. Only one drawback: you have to think to put your butt on the seat after standing in the pedals, something you quickly get used to.

The Spongy Wonder on a diamond frame or the recumbent's seat both eliminate the problems of pain, numbness, etc..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just wondering Cheesy, if you purchased either one and how it worked? I'm seriously thinking of trying one. I never see them posted on ebay so I'm assuming that most who buy them like them.

PS See that your school got beat the other night in the bowl game. Tough, but then there's always next year.

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyone tried "The Easy Seat?" It can be had for around $35 including S&H from a number of places, like Niagra Cycle Works or eBay.

Or the cheap one from Schwinn off of Amazon

Or "The Ergo", also around $30-$35.

http://www.niagaracycle.com/product_...oducts_id=6122

http://www.amazon.com/Schwinn-No-Pre...058278-3821549

http://www.amazon.com/Ergo-Ultimate-...058278-3821549

Last edited by Tom Bombadil; 12-29-06 at 10:21 AM.

My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The design of the "Easy Seat" is conceptually fundamentally flawed. Saddles have a nose for a reason. The only saddle which has caused me grief in the perinaeum was a narrow padded Marin. In contrast, I have had great luck with old-fashioned tensioned leather saddles (Brooks, Ideale, etc.) and with a Serfas ARC.
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's another variation on the theme: DDwings. Claims to be superior to Spiderflex and is Italian made.

They were reviewed in an Australian cycling magazine:

http://www.australiancyclist.com.au/...php?s=9&a=1821

When I read an assortment of reviews of these saddles, a number of people complained that they put extra stress on their arms. But this guy liked his:

http://www.thirdwave-websites.com/bike/easy-seat.cfm

There are now three versions of the EasySeat:

http://www.hobsonseats.com/products.htm
    Last edited by Tom Bombadil; 12-30-06 at 06:23 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Has anyone tried the BiSaddle?

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does a bisaddle enjoy both men and women sitting on it?

The image on their web page is oh, so lovely!

My Bikes
    1974 Huffy 3 speed
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John E
    The design of the "Easy Seat" is conceptually fundamentally flawed. Saddles have a nose for a reason. The only saddle which has caused me grief in the perinaeum was a narrow padded Marin. In contrast, I have had great luck with old-fashioned tensioned leather saddles (Brooks, Ideale, etc.) and with a Serfas ARC.
    I agree that the Easy Seat is a flawed design. However, it is a lot less flawed when used with an upright geometry. I used it for about 6 months last year on my hybrid commuter and it seemed the only seat that would let me bike at all. However, when I tried it on my Bianchi Volpe, I pretty much kept falling off. Luckily, I did find a seat that worked for me... a Terry Liberator.

Still, if you do have severe perinaeum pain, it can be a major relief.

My Bikes
    Takara 10 spd, Felt F90, Felt Q720
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got a SERFAS RX for Christmas, love it! Only rode once so far, 20 miler with NO numbness or pain.
    I will post soon on longer rides.
    2005 Diamondback Wildwood
    1976 Takara 10 spd
    2005 Electra Townie 7 (wifes)
    2006 FELT F90
    2007 FELT Q720 Hard Tail

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But isn't the Serfas RX a traditional design with a nose?

My Bikes
    1974 Huffy 3 speed
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil
    But isn't the Serfas RX a traditional design with a nose?
    Yes and it is pretty soft as well. I was going to try it, but went for the Terry Liberator which is very similar in style but not nearly as cushy. If you are going for longer rides, IMO you need the benefit of a more rigid seat.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I asked because this thread was about saddles that don't have noses and the various designs thereof.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting and funny replies. One question (or maybe two)......Is control the solitary purpose of the horn or does it also function to "hold one on" or "hold one up"? If so, would it not by its nature require pressure to be put on it?

PS I'm also thinking of a Terry Liberator Y gel saddle so glad to hear good things about that saddle.
    Last edited by Opedaler; 01-01-07 at 12:20 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Spongy Wond
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheesy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cheeseflavor View Post
    Cheesy,

I rode a Spiderflex for over a year. Over 3000 miles by a rough estimate. Due to some issues I was having with prostatitis, it was the seat that allowed me to start biking and lose some weight. I've had it mounted on a comfort bike, a hybrid and two road bikes, including my Roubaix. For me, it was ride that type of saddle or don't ride at all.

I found it to be very comfortable. I did 65 miles on it earlier this year, and a few rides of 40-50mi as well. It was very, very comfortable for long rides. I cannot stress just how comfortable it was to sit on. My complaints with it were 1) it was heavy. Around 700g I believe, 2) Its lack of a nose made it slightly more difficult to find your way back into the saddle after standing and peddling, and 3) worst reason of all not to use one - it didn't look very sexy.

All in all, I owe a lot to this saddle. However, while I'm not *healed*, I am in remission at the moment, and have started using a Specialized Alias which I love. At the first sign of 'tate issues, I'm running, not walking, to mount the spiderflex back on.

I happen to have two of these, both in excellent shape, and would be willing to part with one. PM me if you're interested and we can work something out, I'm sure.

Take care,

Steve

My Bikes
    06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seems like this saddle might also be worth considering:
    http://mcmwin.com/saddle%20shop%20ne...FQyfnAodwlUJSQ

My Bikes
    Rivendell Bleriot and a Panasonic 1986 7500 MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by freeranger View Post
    Seems like this saddle might also be worth considering:
    http://mcmwin.com/saddle%20shop%20ne...FQyfnAodwlUJSQ
    I sent them a Brooks B17 and had a cutout done. I already had the saddle so...I figured why not. Best thing I ever did.

My Bikes
    Jamis Satellite; Ellsworth Scant
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You might also look at these, I have ridden one for over 3000 miles now, including rides up to 85 miles, with no problems.
    http://www.allaysaddles.com/
    Jamis Satellite 08.

My Bikes
    Rivendell Bleriot and a Panasonic 1986 7500 MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shmulb View Post
    You might also look at these, I have ridden one for over 3000 miles now, including rides up to 85 miles, with no problems.
    http://www.allaysaddles.com/
    That looks worthwhile too.

I never had problems when I was younger but that was so long ago that maybe I just forgot.

My Bikes
    Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get the bent! A saddle will not satisfy the N+1 requirement..

As a bent rider, I don't understand noseless saddles. The nose is supposed to keep you from sliding off the front. Without the nose, don't you have to hold yourself up more with your hands? It seems to me that doing that would cause more hand problems.

My Bikes
    Specialized Sirrus ,Trek 850, Gt Agressor-wife Specialized Crossroads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How did the doctor determine you had nerve damage and what type of doctor is it?
    if you don't mind sharing that information-- that's ok --I may have a lot of nerve asking that question.
    I have been having my own problems in that area and nerve damage has not come up yet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast