Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

It Creaked and Squeeked, Had Me Freaked, but Now It's Fixed, Without a Tweak

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-05, 06:31 PM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Okay, you might remember that my shifter wasn't shifting, and there was a creaking noise from somewhere near the saddle that the LBS couldn't fix. They did replace the cassette under warranty, but claimed they "couldn't hear" the squeek.

It happened on every revolution of the pedals. It only happened when I was in the saddle; if I stood up, it went away. I tried tightening down the cranks and the saddle but it didn't help. I got lots of advice hear about how to grease things up, and so...

I resorted to my favorite approaach to problems -- I procrastinated. I did nothing. I rode, I whined to myself, but I didn't try to fix the problem.

And then, a couple of days ago, I realized -- I was running as silent as an atomic submarine! No more squeeks, no more creaks, no sound at all except rubber on road. And it's stayed that way so far.

So basically, the gods of Procrastination and Cycling seem to have gotten together and rewarded me, their humble and least deserving servant, by eliminating the annoying sound. Which leaves me with two questions:

Is there a more scientific explanation to this event, and...

Are the gods simply setting me up for something far more sinister???

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 11-21-05, 06:55 PM
Berry Pie..the Holy Grail

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Benign neglect, D.G......no doubt your ride healed itself. "If its not broke, I can fix that."

Then again, I've heard rumors of the bike wrench fairy. At night, while we're asleep and dreamily winning the seniors' TdF and making time with podium girls, she flitters in and saves our unmechanical butts. But only if you are faithful about keeping up your mileage. Did you ride today, Gary?

Last edited by GrannyGear; 11-21-05 at 07:06 PM.
Old 11-21-05, 07:22 PM

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
LOL, bike wrench fairy... I wish I had one of those. Or at least a chain cleaning fairy.

You've already got it narrowed down to the saddle. Maybe the saddle just needed breaking in. Or maybe the bike shop fixed it without knowing they did. Hey, it could happen! My suggestion would have been to take the seatpost out of the frame and wipe down the part of it that goes inside the frame with a *very* light coating of grease, then reinsert and retighten. Prevents squeaks and also prevents galvanic action from welding your seatpost into the frame after a few years.
Old 11-22-05, 10:07 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Gee,

Crazy creaks can drive one to a little alliteration.

LastPlace
Old 11-22-05, 11:37 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bike squeeks that creak and cause you to freak that don't resolve themselves without a tweak can usually be fixed in a week by a bike geek, faster if you eek!

or something like that!
Old 11-22-05, 01:55 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Don't know if any of you are weight weanies, with the ultra light and strong Titanium bits bolted to the bike? Only problem with titanium is that unless it is a very good fit, and correctly tightened- it creaks. Any squeaking out on the trail is now put down to Titanium Creak. Sounds better than "Where the hell is that noise coming from."

Spike Milligan
Old 11-22-05, 02:09 PM
Berry Pie..the Holy Grail

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
But, Stapfam, my joints aren't made of titanium (yet), and they creak every morning getting out of bed. Hard plastic shoe soles have been a great source of creaking for me-- whether they were slotted cleats or clipless. Where the plastic meets the metal is good for a creak from time to time. Usually, a shot of spray lube on contacting surfaces helps-- as well as tightening screws.
Old 11-22-05, 04:56 PM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tom cotter
Bike squeeks that creak and cause you to freak that don't resolve themselves without a tweak can usually be fixed in a week by a bike geek, faster if you eek!

or something like that!

Proud member of the original Club Tombay