Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 11-21-05, 09:19 PM   #1
FarHorizon
Senior Curmudgeon

Bikes: Varies by day
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How much to discount a group of parts?

I'm parting out my red racer, and a kid at the LBS has asked me for a "gruppo" price on the whole lot.

Without going into detail, the lot of parts would sell (after shipping, and as individual parts) for about $900 via e-Bay. I've verified this by looking at the individual parts in "completed listings" auctions.

If I knock off $50 for the shipping, about how much more discount should I offer for the convenience of not having to pay e-Bay fees, PayPal fees, and to ensure the continued good relationship with my LBS and its employees? I also get an immediate sale instead of having to wait until Spring when prices rise to "normal" levels again on e-Bay.

Of course, this may be all academic if the kid is wistfully hoping for a yard-sale price on the lot.

Ideas?
FarHorizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-05, 01:44 AM   #2
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
If I remember rightly, the only problem with the red racer is the wheels.I would not get rid of it. get a sensible prices pair of wheels and keep it as the spare, Most of us on the forum have found that a second bike is invaluable.

Spike Milligan
stapfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-05, 02:39 PM   #3
FarHorizon
Senior Curmudgeon

Bikes: Varies by day
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If I EVER planned to race, I'd keep the racer. The geometry, however, isn't to my needs. I've got my fixed-gear bike for exercise, and I'm in the process of building a touring bike for fun & distance.

The racer isn't needed by me and so should be allowed to migrate to someone who wants to race with it.

My "next" bike will be a recumbent. Until then...
FarHorizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-05, 05:03 PM   #4
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Not trying to be "smart" but it sounds like you may have answered you own question. You just need to put a value on what it is worth to you and negotiate from that.

If it were me, I'd be looking to unload the grouppo at what someone and I could agree to and what I'm happy with. I wouldn't mind having the cash in hand so I could be shopping and on the lookout for saving dollars on a future purchase. That might be where the real dollar value comes from. Timing is everything!!

We just had a big "sale" where both bike shops and individuals like us came in set up their merchandise in booths. It was amazing the deals you could get if you were needing parts.

Good luck with the undoing of the red racer!!
jppe is offline   Reply With Quote