Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Send email to dnvrfox@aol.com for new group
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lately, reading the various threads and posts, I have noticed even more acutely the intelligence, outstanding writing style, maturity of approach and finesse of the 50+ contributors.

I anxiously await posts from folks like DG, Stapfam, Granny Gear, Dchiefransom, P8rider, jppe, will dehne, cheese flavor and all of the rest of you. I read them just for the joy of the excellent writing and humor.
    Last edited by DnvrFox; 11-22-05 at 01:42 PM.
    Gone - email me at dnvrfox@aol.com for new group of old 50+ folks

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox
    Lately, reading the various threads and posts, I have noticed even more acutely the intelligence, outstanding writing style, maturity of approach and finesse of the 50+ contributors.

I anxiously await posts from folks like DG, Stepfam, Granny Gear, Dchiefransom, P8rider, jppe, will dehne, cheese flavor and all of the rest of you. I read them just for the joy of the excellent writing and humor.
    Apoligies to the two forums that I appear to be slating, and I do not wish to run these forums down, but as I say, they are not as fullfilling for my Requirements as the 50 + forum is.

I ride a Tandem and it is a mountain bike. I look at both these forums and they are not my cup of tea. The Tandem forum is filled with very knowledgable people that turn a basic question into a 4 page answer that I do not understand or do not agree with. The Mountain bike section seems to be filled with 12 year olds that do not know how to write, ask basic questions and get answers that will not help them.

So what is it about the 50+ that I enjoy?
    I am conversing with people my own age, many with a great deal of experience of biking in general and we are all talking about the same thing. How we can all enjoy our hobby/sport, with the realisation that we do not have to be better than anyone else, we do not have to compete with each other, unless we want to, and if we want help or advice- we will get it in a language and style that we can understand.

What else do I want? I could start a list but that Orange Orbea Onix will do for a starter.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I anxiously await posts from folks like DG, Stepfam, Granny Gear, Dchiefransom, P8rider, jppe, will dehne, cheese flavor and all of the rest of you. I read them just for the joy of the excellent writing and humor.
    u r so rite, DnvrFox!
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

Berry Pie..the Holy Grail GrannyGear's Avatar
    Weaving thru the cowpud outside Modesto CA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For better or worse, we should all meet at Irma's. Let's see, Dnvr would buy us all some pie; Gary would gobble his up and wonder how he was going to get a second, better piece of pie with skinny crusts; Stapfam would tell us the intricacies of making and serving the pie (preferably at night) and how we should only use the best ingredients and BTW it is spelled "pye" in Britain; FarHorizon would insist that, like using plain pedals, pie should be eaten without advance technology i.e. with fingers; we would all be staring enviously at LookinUp's slicker, fancier piece of pie; WillDehne would humbly tell us he was in training to eat 10 pieces of pie..........and so on. GrannyGear would be nose deep in Irma's beerbatter cheese curd.

And we'd all have a very good time and make plans to come back.

While I have a group of friends I ride with, I've come to regard this group here at 50+ with almost equal attachment. A nice place to share enthusiasm, information, and mutual encouragement. I'm gonna have to pony up for a red star.

Still think we should get jerseys saying "Velo 50 Plussers" or something. As in "Damn...did you see that old rider climb...what club was that?"
    Last edited by GrannyGear; 11-22-05 at 03:06 PM.
    ..... "I renewed my youth, to outward appearance, by mounting a bicycle for the first time." Mark Twain, Speeches

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Heck, it nice to converse with folk who don't roll their eyes @ the things that I say, wear or do. A few years ago, I showed up @ a group ride on my 10 spd Mondia (all original) w/ sew-ups, toe clips, etc. and wearing Bata Bikers, running shorts & a tee shirt. I was concerned that all those young folk would hurt themselves as they were laughing so hard. Bob

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I anxiously await posts from folks like DG, Stapfam, Granny Gear, Dchiefransom, P8rider, jppe, will dehne, cheese flavor and all of the rest of you. I read them just for the joy of the excellent writing and humor.

Agree wholeheartedly.

Sometimes I find myself laughing like crazy reading some posts and my wife peeks around the corner to find out what the heck is going on. I find that you folks both brighten and enlighten!!

Here's a thought.....wouldn't it be terrific if maybe we could use Will's ride across the US as a "group ride" and all of us ride a few miles with him??
    Last edited by jppe; 11-23-05 at 07:35 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe you accidentally included my name on that list.
    Silver Eagle Pilot

Elmira>Taiwan>Elmira flatlander_48's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2005 Ritchey BreakAway (full Chorus 11), 2001 Gary Fisher Tassajara mountain bike (sold), 2004 Giant TRC 2 road bike (sold)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam
    So what is it about the 50+ that I enjoy?
    Maturity is its own reward...

Besides, I worked real hard for this grey hair and arthritic joints!

My Bikes
    1984 Peugeot P8; 2006 Trek 5200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jppe - I like the "Ride with Will" thought.
    Will, in time can you sketch out your proposed route. We can then study it for feasability to put the plan into action. Unless you'd rather not have us for company, we are a mixed blessing!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by flatlander_48
    Maturity is its own reward...

I worked real hard for this grey hair !
    So did I, but somebody snuck in and stole it!!!
    Silver Eagle Pilot

My Bikes
    Merlin Extralight Topolino Wheels Campy Record
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

More practice with trial and error.