Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Like Gary-I met my target!

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-05, 03:28 PM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts

Every year I've been riding (4) I've been able to put in more miles than the previous year. This year I was able to get in 1000 miles more than last year. I really helped that I did 7 centuries on consecutive weekends in August-September plus adding some 30 mile group rides on Tuesday and Thursdays after work. The mulitple 30 mile rides really added up!

I took a day's vacation and was able to do a nice ride today. The temps were in the high 40's under cloudy skies and the winds were 5-10 mph. Amazingly I had the wind with me going out and I was not looking forward to doing 30+ miles to get back to the house in a steady headwind. Amazingly, just a mile or so before I turned to loop back the wind started to shift to where it was either helping or at least not working against me. I don't think that's ever happened to me before.

Gary hit his target in front of the really swanky San Diego hotel but mine was just the opposite. I was out in the rural stretches of North Carolina and the closest thing to a structure was a Commercial Chicken House!! How appropriate!! Hey, at least traffic was next to nil!!

In addition to the wind shifting mid ride another really nice thing happened. I didn't take enough to eat so I stopped at Subway to grab a sandwich with just a few miles left. I only had a $5 bill and got a 6" sub and a drink. I told the young lady that if $5 was not enough to leave off the drink. The total came to $5.11 and she put in 11 cents from her own pocket. I thanked her profusely but it's just wonderful that the world still has some kind people around. Among many other things, I'm very THANKFUL for that.

I've got to get me a digital camera so I can show you folks these beautiful sights (like the chicken house) including my Cyclometer like Gary did. Anyway, for those folks who enjoy the stats the numbers will have to do:
Todays' ride: 65.07 miles
Avg Speed: 17.0 mph
Max speed: 40.1 mph
Riding time: 3 hr 45 min
Climbing: 2657 ft
Max grade: 12%
Avg Heart rate: 145 bpm
Max HR: 174 bpm

There are a few more weeks until year end and I will be taking several more days off. If the weather holds maybe I can add a few hundred more miles to the yearly total!! That might make next year's target a pretty tough challenge!!!

One other thing-I ordered a cadence sensor/cable for my cyclometer today so I will be able to reduce the number of gadgets on my handlebars from 4 to 3. Now if Santa will just bring me one of the new eTrex GPS's that has all the bells and whistles I can go from 3 to 1!!

Sorry to get so long winded but you folks get me cranked up......or maybe it was the caffeine in the Cherry Coke at Subway.
Old 11-23-05, 03:33 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Bikes: Varies by day

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Those Subway sodas'll do it every time! Congratulations on your accomplishment - and many happy returns!
Old 11-23-05, 04:03 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
We have just discovered that there is a Subway in Eastbourne on our weekly night rides that is open. Haven't tried the sandwiches yet, but the Muffins were great and the coffee is almost as good as our normal Italian Cafe's expresso. (Previous to finding Subways, the only place open was McDonalds and I refuse to eat there)

Great riding by the way, but you have to try a Gary and do the 65 milers on knobblies.

Spike Milligan
Old 11-23-05, 04:16 PM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Agreed!! 65 miles on knobbies are a real feat!! Hopefully I can be like Gary and you when I grow up!!

Actually the first year I rode I did several hundred road miles on knobbies/Mtn Bike. That made the move to a road bike a bit easier!!

Interesting about Subways over your way. Over here I think they are the largest chain store in the US.......Like you, the only time I go to McDonalds is for their pancakes which I eat before a long ride. I think I did break down and have a Big Mac after doing a century one time this summer though......That's alright-I've now got my cholestrol in the 160's so what the heck.
Old 11-23-05, 09:09 PM
rck

Bikes: cannondale 400st, dean el diente, specialized hybrid

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
jppe, Call this years goal met and ride the rest of the year just for the ride. That way you can act as if the last miles were not part of the goal and it takes some of the stress off for next year. Another eminently more reasonable thing to do would be to change the goal. For instance...you could ride for pie.
Old 11-23-05, 10:23 PM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Man, I'm blushing over here! Not so sure I've ever had a thread named after me before...

jppe -- major congrats on reaching your milestone! While I'm touched that you think my little metric century on knobbies is impressive, it has to pale against seven centuries and all those thirty milers!

In any event, we're all trying to outdo ourselves, right? We compete mostly with ourselves, and you've won four years in a row.

Interesting you bring up annual goals because I've been trying to come up with mine for next year. I know I can do 2,400 miles because I'll probably have 1,200 or so this year in seven months. So maybe I should make it 3,000? On the other hand, I don't want it to be so high that I get too hyper about it. Anyway, all that musing's for another thread. I'm not going to hijack yours.

You have a lot to be thankful for this year, jppe, and a lot to look forward to next year. Congrats once more on reaching an impressive goal!

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 11-23-05, 11:23 PM
Let's do a Century

Thanks Gary!! It's really exciting to see folks like yourself catch the cycling bug and know all the great things that lie ahead. It's somewhat of a reminder of what many of us have enjoyed and experienced coming into the sport so keep us appraised of how you're doing.

I try and set a challenging goal for myself but also one that has a little cushion to it as well. It helps me to not make it too big of a jump from one year to the next to avoid pushing myself so much it feels like I have to do as opposed to wanting to do it. I really enjoy cycling but I also enjoy other activities and I just need to leave myself a little balance. Let's face it, if I didn't enjoy it what motivation is there to going out and running up my heart rate to 3 times it's normal rate and making my legs hurt for several hours!! It's work!!!

You've got one heck of a start and there are a lot of terrific miles ahead of you!! Be safe!
Old 11-24-05, 04:50 AM
Elite Fred

Bikes: 2009 Spooky (cracked frame), 2006 Curtlo, 2002 Lemond (current race bike) Zurich, 1987 Serotta Colorado, 1986 Cannondale for commuting, a 1984 Cannondale on loan to my son

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by stapfam
Previous to finding Subways, the only place open was McDonalds and I refuse to eat there...
So, what is wrong with Scottish food?

(Actually I cannot stand Mickie D's either.)
Old 11-26-05, 08:30 AM

Bikes: 1984 Peugeot P8; 2006 Trek 5200

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Jppe - Just returned from a holiday trip and read this thread. Congratulations!! that is some great riding this year. So many centuries, three more and you would have a millenium!! There's a goal for your next year.
For myself, if I can ride 2 centuries next year I will feel very good. One to prove I can do it and one to let me know the first wasn't a fluke!