Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

What should I expect to pay?

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 11-13-05, 11:09 AM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Early on in this new obsession, I did purchase some bike shorts with the nice chamois padding, etc. But I bought a cheap brand in some sporting goods store, not knowing anything about anything. I'm a Fred, so what would it matter?

Well, I actually got some use from my first pair, even though they quickly began coming apart at the seams -- clearly a reaction to my new newly developing thunder thighs, obviously. I can still wear them, but to err on the side of politeness to strangers, I usually don a pair of basketball shorts over them so all the holes aren't exposed.

So I am slowly but surely becoming convinced that bike shorts (probably not even the right name for them) ARE a good thing and I may even buy a proper pair or two or three. Before I venture into the LBS, and in an effort to avoid sticker shock, what am I looking at, price-wise? And is there even a brand war going on -- is one brand better than another?

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 11-13-05, 11:26 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm going to suggest you try Performance cycling shorts. They're super comfortable, well made, and they're pretty inexpensive on sale. I got my pair for under $30.
Old 11-13-05, 11:38 AM
Berry Pie..the Holy Grail

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I also like Performance....value for price. They offer a few different grades of shorts: some with thicker/thinner padding, some with gel padding (which may or may not be too squishy for your taste), and some with a heavier weight lycra. Bibs are also a choice: some people love the shoulder straps and looser waist.
Old 11-13-05, 12:12 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by GrannyGear
I also like Performance....value for price. They offer a few different grades of shorts: some with thicker/thinner padding, some with gel padding (which may or may not be too squishy for your taste), and some with a heavier weight lycra. Bibs are also a choice: some people love the shoulder straps and looser waist.

Cycling shorts are very particular. as to type ,colour and comfort. Then there is the quality aswell. My suggestion is that you go prepared and Try the shorts on before you buy. This may mean going to a larger shop that has a very good selection of shorts, and a changing room, but it is well worth it. I always use bibshorts and I make a trip to London to one particular shop that has a good range of shorts. I sort out two or 3 different makes that I want to try, and when I have sorted the ones That are comfortable- I then take a couple more pairs of that manufacturereand type, in the size I want and try all of them. There is a difference between each pair and Finally buy the one pair that fits perfectly.

My wife will not come with me on my clothing trip as she reckons I am worse than going clothes shopping with my two daughters. I settle on 1 pair I like initially, then try another 5 pairs and normally buy the first pair I picked up.

Spike Milligan
Old 11-13-05, 12:25 PM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Personally, I now use Bibs. They are 10 times more comfortable, they don't slide down in front.

To locate Performance on the web, you can't type in just Performance.

The web address is PerformanceBike.com

And their shorts will do a good job.

In my experience you will find a much broader variety and many more choices on the web than at any LBS I have ever been to. They simply can not stock the variety available on the web.

You can also look at Nashbar.com - I have had very good luck with them.

(Nashbar is owned by Performance, although it retains a separate identity.
Old 11-13-05, 12:42 PM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox

In my experience you will find a much broader variety and many more choices on the web than at any LBS I have ever been to. They simply can not stock the variety available on the web.
But how do you try them on? Or do you order what you think will fit and return it if it doesn't?

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 11-13-05, 12:44 PM
Banned.

Originally Posted by Digital Gee
But how do you try them on? Or do you order what you think will fit and return it if it doesn't?
Exactly.

However, I find that if I order what would normally fit me in a short, I do okay, except for Pearl Izumi, which are designed for skinny little European riders, and the Large is everbody else's small.

Performance and Nashbar are designed for the typical heavy US rider.
Old 11-13-05, 01:00 PM

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1511 Post(s)
Liked 732 Times in 453 Posts
It's been several years, so this may no longer apply, but Performance used to have an unadvertised shorts deal - you bought one pair at the regular price and the second pair was a penny. It'd be worth it to order via phone so you could ask the operator if this policy is still in effect. I bought many pairs of shorts before I found out they did it.

I have about 5 or 6 pairs of their (Perf) lower-end shorts. They're a little on the lightweight side, but that makes them good for summer wear; and they have held up pretty well regardless of their weight.
Old 11-13-05, 02:55 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have Performance shorts that have lasted many years, just this year I tossed a pair of 13 year old Century shorts. But I never put my bike shorts in the dryer. Wash them inside out and straight to a hanger and let them dry. Same thing with my husband's fancy bike shirts. The shirts have lasted 12 years and still look great.
Old 11-13-05, 03:48 PM

Bikes: Trek, Cannondale Tandem, Surly LHT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My experience is that both Performance and Nashbar sizes run a little bit small on their shorts, but as stated earlier, you can return what doesn't fit. This is usually a good time of the year to purchase them. I also agree, don't even consider putting them in the dryer. We wash all of our cycling clothes inside out, zipped up, and in those little webed zipper bags. We hang them up to dry. Other good places to shop are REIOUTLET.com. Nice thing about REI is no shipping if you have a nearby store for them to ship to. OHB
Old 11-13-05, 04:41 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Performance is one of the most return friendly internet sales outlets I've had the pleasure of doing business with. You do have to pay for return shipping, but the attitude I encountered when returning a jersey was extremely friendly. So, at least in my case, they were top notch in this regard.
Old 11-13-05, 05:17 PM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Gary-I also suggest checking out Voler's website as well.

www.voler.com

I've gotten a few pairs from them and they seem to be as just as durable as Performance, Pearl Izumi, Giordona, etc. They will run sales on a pretty regular basis as well. They also have lots of different colors but most folks choose black as other colors seem to "express" themselves more than others. Most of the other sites mentioned also have sizing charts that might help. The best thing I've found is trying them on, though.
Old 11-13-05, 07:27 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
https://www.performancebike.com/shop/...tegory_ID=1120

I like these bibs. I'll never go back to shorts. On sale in the retail stores, they can be had for $34.95.

Scroll down this page.

https://www.performancebike.com/infor..._locations.cfm

One store is on Midway. Maybe you could visit Performance and Pacer's on the same trip.
Old 11-13-05, 07:47 PM
Banned.

Originally Posted by Dchiefransom

I like these bibs. I'll never go back to shorts. On sale in the retail stores, they can be had for $34.95.

Scroll down this page.

https://www.performancebike.com/infor..._locations.cfm

One store is on Midway. Maybe you could visit Performance and Pacer's on the same trip.
I like that bib, put it is only in two sizes on the web.

Personally, I don't particularly like our Performance stores near me, but likely you will have better luck in your area.
Old 11-13-05, 08:01 PM
Resident Old Fart

Bikes: Douglas Precision Ti

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Try these Performance Ultra bib shorts:
I've been riding for over 30 years and these are the bost shorts I have ever used.
Old 11-13-05, 09:05 PM
sch

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked 135 Times in 103 Posts
Bibs have some minor drawbacks for 'natural moments'. I like Performance and Nashbar as well. The older Century shorts had particularly nice chamois but they seem to have downgraded the inserts on the recent ones I bought. I have a Louis Garneau, bought half price at a closing bike shop that is also nice. Shorts sizing is pretty straight forward for riders under 200# or so. Gets a little problematic above that weight. The one gel chamois I tried lasted two washings before the gel leaked out, works ok on the bent.
Steve
Old 11-14-05, 10:01 AM

Bikes: Cannondale R600

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As far as what you get for your money, shorts are usually rated on the number of panels and the chamois -- the more panels, the more they cost. Why? Because more panels are more elastic and "hold you in" better (less panels get "stretchier"). I've never really understood the differences in chamoises all that well, but seams seem to be a big deal. I've always felt a little awkward paying as much as I do for shorts, but I have to say that I think they're well worth it. I don't recall exactly, but I think I've paid 50+ for shorts, although I've gotten known brands like PI or Sugoi; bib shorts are more expensive.

I really like the bib shorts, although I don't use them exclusively. If I'm going a on a longer ride, I'll always reach for the bib shorts first.

Same thing for jerseys IMO; the functionality is well worth the cost.

I always used to look at the "lycra freaks" before I started riding - now I've become one of them!
Old 11-14-05, 10:34 AM

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
Personally, I now use Bibs. They are 10 times more comfortable, they don't slide down in front.

To locate Performance on the web, you can't type in just Performance.

The web address is PerformanceBike.com

And their shorts will do a good job.

You can also look at Nashbar.com - I have had very good luck with them.

(Nashbar is owned by Performance, although it retains a separate identity.
I've got shorts by Pearl Izumi, Cannondale, and Nashbar. Though they were the cheapest, the Nashbar shorts have proved the most durable, and have the best chamois. It feels like real leather, though I know it isn't, and has no center seam. The fabled PI's, on the other hand, have a center seam which makes itself felt on long rides. Imagine the details. The Cannondales started tearing at the seams within two weeks, and I only wear them when everything else is dirty.

The point is that you don't have to go big $ to get comfortable, durable shorts. Best to invest in a single pair of, say, Performance, see how you like them, and go elsewhere if you don't.
Old 11-14-05, 11:06 PM
Get A Life - Get A Bike

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Bianchi San Jose, '87 Schwinn Super Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Digital Gee
So I am slowly but surely becoming convinced that bike shorts (probably not even the right name for them) ARE a good thing and I may even buy a proper pair or two or three. Before I venture into the LBS, and in an effort to avoid sticker shock, what am I looking at, price-wise? And is there even a brand war going on -- is one brand better than another?
Gary, you'll love cycling shorts. Linda got me into them this summer (I used to tease her mercilessly about them) and I couldn't be happier. You can find a lot of good shorts out there for under $30. I've had very, very good luck with Canari, Percaryous and Falconi shorts and in particular from this eBay vendor. They are very reasonable, shipping is extremely fast (usually 2 days), and they gladly take returns and exchanges. I've had good luck with the jerseys from these guys too.

Linda and I have purchased probably a dozen or so items from them.

Take care,

steve
Old 11-22-05, 07:40 PM
Cathedral City, CA

Bikes: 2016 RITCHEY BreakAway (full Chorus 11), 2005 Ritchey BreakAway (full Chorus 11, STOLEN), 2001 Gary Fisher Tassajara mountain bike (sold), 2004 Giant TRC 2 road bike (sold)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
As with everything else, you get what you pay for. One reason that pros can go hour after hour is that they are not riding on $30 shorts. It is also a question of how a particular design fits a particular person. My first pair of shorts was a pair from Nashbar that sold for $35 or $40. I could ride for an hour to an hour and a half before numbness and irritation set in. I used those exclusively for about a year and still occasionally still do. Next I bought a pair of of Sugoi shorts that retailed for about $85, but they were on sale for about $65 when I bought them. All of a sudden, 3 hours was no problem and difficulties only started to set in after 3 1/2 hours. From what I hear, Assos and Etxe Ondo are the Real Deal. They are expensive, but they are supposed to be worth it. To me it doesn't make good sense to spend good money on a bike and cheap out on your shorts.
Old 11-23-05, 10:07 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Depends on how long you plan to ride, a short ride and you can get by with cheap shorts long ride go with an expensive pair.......your butt will thank you for it. I use Assos bibs for long hauls >60 miles and Performance for anything under.
Old 11-23-05, 11:14 AM
Cathedral City, CA

Bikes: 2016 RITCHEY BreakAway (full Chorus 11), 2005 Ritchey BreakAway (full Chorus 11, STOLEN), 2001 Gary Fisher Tassajara mountain bike (sold), 2004 Giant TRC 2 road bike (sold)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by roscoe50
Depends on how long you plan to ride, a short ride and you can get by with cheap shorts long ride go with an expensive pair.......your butt will thank you for it. I use Assos bibs for long hauls >60 miles and Performance for anything under.
I think time is a more accurate measurement. So, it would be whatever time 60 miles works out to be at your usual pace. Time is more significant as ones pace will be different for a flat ride vs. hills vs on the flat but with a head wind etc., but the distance could be the same.
Old 11-23-05, 03:05 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Today I finished up in London, and quite near my favourite clothing shop. I needed a pair of leggings and preferably bib type. Got to the shop and there was a choice of at least 7 manufacturers to choose from. I did not have the usual time to try all the manufacturers out so went by feel of the cloth for two types. Grabbed hold of a pair of medium in each and tried them on. One pair fitted ok, but the other pair had tight bits in some places, and baggy bits in others. How two different manufacturers can come up with such completetly different fittings in the same size I do not know, but I finished up paying £65, about $90, for a pair of leggings that I will probably use about 4 times a year. Mind you, as I expect another good few years of riding, hopefully they will get worn out eventually.

Reason for getting these? It was cold last Sunday, and we are promised a cold winter. On top of that, The leggings I have used in previous years were not cycling specific, and were just Thick leggings off the womans rail at our local equivalent to Wallmart. Cost 8 years ago was $5 and I think I have had my use out of them.

Spike Milligan
Old 11-23-05, 04:37 PM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Hey Stapfam-you've certainly earned the right to spend a little more on the leggings if it will get you out there more often in the colder temps. Just think of it as an investment towards great health and fewer medical bills!! Although not sure you folks have to pay medical expenses. If not for some reason the Pilgrims forgot to pass that idea along to the US......
Old 11-24-05, 01:10 AM
Get A Life - Get A Bike

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Bianchi San Jose, '87 Schwinn Super Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by flatlander_48
As with everything else, you get what you pay for.
Well, yes and no.

With brand name stuff, you pay for that brand name and not just the material, labor and design that goes into making a decent product. Branding is branding, and it doesn't necessarily make a pair of shorts better... but it does make it more expensive.

That said, I've got PI shorts that I paid $80 for, and to me, they don't ride any better over 6 hours than the pairs of Falconis I paid $26 for. They're both 8 panel and have good chamois in them. The major difference (that I can see) is that PI logo.

Take care,

Steve

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.