User Tag List

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is there a "Kelley Blue Book" for bikes?

I suppose not, but is there? Otherwise how does one know if a used bike is a good deal?

And, while I'm thinking of it, is there a website that lets you compare new bikes side by side, feature by feature? I'm used to comparing digital cameras this way, for instance.

It's hard to tell Santa what to bring if I can't compare!
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, West of Harris Lake, NC
    My Bikes
    Giant OCR-C, Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 05 Rockhopper, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 01 Bianchi Campione, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 97 Lemond
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think there is, but that's a great idea. When I was considering buying a used MTB, I kept listings of the brands/models I was interested in on 'my e-bay'. It was effective too. After three or four months of collecting about 40 listings, I decided it was more cost effective to buy at my LBS. I could have saved a lot of time if a blue book or price guide existed.
    Roccobike BF Official Thread Terminator

My Bikes
    Merlin Fortius, Specialized Crossroads & Rockhopper, Serotta Fierte, Pedal Force RS2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    - prices on ebay are no bargain, but alas, seem to be the only benchmark...

- after a while you get a much better idea of what a bike might be worth, but i have to admit that i was pretty shocked after getting back into biking after a decade's hiatus...

- a lot of the worth of a machine is in its condition... what kind of shape is the bike in? componentry is another area? how about the tires?

- there are a lot of variables...

- i was looking for a used bike in the past year... instead of ebay i visited the local pawn shops (if anyone has an idea about what a used item is worth, it's a pawnbroker for sure)... i found that many of the bikes were, like those on ebay, way overpriced... but i did find something in my [$100] price range that with a little elbow grease, turned into a nice ride (see sig linky for the Specialized Crossroads).

- some web sites offer a 'compare' function, where you can compare models...

- you could also pick your top three picks and post a query here on BF... i'm sure you'll get lots of opinions...

:-)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Perhaps this would be of value:

http://roadbikereview.com/

It lists prices and features, but, of course, as in buying a car, no one ever pays the posted price, which makes things a bit more complicated.

As far as EBay, it is only with a great deal of luck that one finds a good bicycle buy on EBay. I.e., the Wal Mart roadies you can buy new for about $159 were selling on EBay for $300.

I lucked out in finding a quality brand new basic second road bike (a value of $700) - which I love - on a manufacturers direct EBay close out for $285.00. But, I haven't found a true deal like that since on EBay.
    Last edited by DnvrFox; 11-26-05 at 08:25 AM.
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.